Webcam in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Lugh

Webcam in LMDE

Post by Lugh »

Does anyone know of particular webcams that work in LMDE with Upgrade Pack 3? My Logitech QuickCam E3500 screws up audio and video playback in many areas, ways, and programs. Searching in this forum finds a lot of problems with webcams in LMDE. I'm just wondering if anyone has had no problems with a specific model of webcam.

Thanks,
Clyde
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ukbrian

Re: Webcam in LMDE

Post by ukbrian »

I just made this post on another thread
The only time I've been able to use a kernel greater than 2.6.38 with a logitech C270/C300 webcams without skype/audacity making me sound like donald duck was using the AVLinux distro.

Recently in desperation I bought a Sweex webcam and it worked without any problems.
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

ukbrian, Thanks. I'll look into those.

Clyde
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

Hum, Sweex isn't available in the USA. Does anyone know of any webcams available in the USA?

Thanks,
Clyde
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

After using the sweex for a few days
The mic gives low volume and not as good voice quality compared to any logitech product i have used but usable and the video is OK

Can anyone recommend a good webcam for use with LMDE using PulseAudio please especially if they use Skype.
yaye

Post by yaye »

I'm currently using Linux Kernel 3.0.0-1amd64 with PulseAudio in LMDE. I recently got a Logitech Webcam Pro 9000. At first it wouldn't work with LMDE. I installed the guvcview package and it got the webcam working (video starts a few seconds after the black box appears). After that I tried using Skype to make a test call and the video and audio from the webcam worked.
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

Good tip about guvcview. I'll give it a try with my older Logitech. I wonder if the age of the Logitech makes any difference.

Thanks,
Clyde
yaye

Post by yaye »

You're welcome. The Logitech Quickcam E 3500 uses the uvc driver according to the listing at this page: http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/

The green check mark means the E 3500 works without issues.
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

Thanks, yaye. You are a fountain of information.

I'm headed to work now, but will try it soon.

Thanks,
Clyde
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

guvcview seemed to have fixed the delay problem in audio and video playback on my LMDE. It's all working just fine now. Well, almost all. It appears my webcam mic isn't working. That may be a hardware problem though. I don't have any other microphones to test it with. I'll look into that.

Thanks,
Clyde
yaye

Post by yaye »

If you haven't tried it, plug in the webcam then right-click the speaker icon in the panel. Click on Sound Preferences. Click the Input Tab of Sound Preferences and Choose the webcam Analog Mono as the sound input device. Make noise ( rattling keys will do) and see if the boxes along the input level turn blue. If they do, the microphone is working.
Sound Preferences.jpg
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

Thanks, but I did know that. I wasn't getting any movement at all - which matched the no sound.

I did remember that I did have a mic. (I have a wireless mic for a video camera that this reminded me that I need to sell.) I plugged that in to the mic port on the computer and it worked just fine. So, I figured it was the hardware of my old E3500 webcam. Today I bought a Logitech C510 and plugged it in. It mostly works...

In guvcview I still don't get sound. In the sound control, audacity, and others, I get mic sound at a low level only. (Even with the setting at max.) In Skype though, it works just great. Since Skype is about the only place I actually need it, I'll consider this working - unless someone has any other ideas.

Thanks,
Clyde
yaye

Post by yaye »

Two last suggestions (which you might have already tried):In Skype, I actually unchecked the box next to Allow Skype to automatically adjust the volume level. With the webcam plugged in, check the USB Microphone setting of GNOME ALSA Mixer.
Lugh

SOLVED: Webcam in LMDE

Post by Lugh »

Thanks yaye,

That did the trick. I installed GNOME ALSA Mixer and ran it. Sure enough, the mic volume as hard on the bottom. Moving that to the top got normal volumes in everything, except Skype. The first tip pulled Skype back into alignment with everything else.

I am very happy now. I hope this little thread will help a lot of people with webcams in LMDE.

Thanks,
Clyde
yaye

Post by yaye »

You're welcome. See you around the forum.

Return to “LMDE Archive”