Keyboard Shortcut for the mintMenu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Malinthe

Keyboard Shortcut for the mintMenu

Post by Malinthe »

Hi guys, I need to find the keyboard shortcut to open the mintMenu. I searched everywhere but still can't find how to do it. Alt+F1 opens the default gnome menu. Is there a similar key that'll open the mintMenu? :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Keyboard Shortcut for the mintMenu

Post by Husse »

I have also searched for this but so far I have ended up opening the standard gnome menu....
Rockerboy

Post by Rockerboy »

bump
facade47

Post by facade47 »

Maybe this post will help? I'm not at my linux box, so I can't test this myself.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=14901
Malinthe

Post by Malinthe »

Nope it also opens the normal gnome menu.
azulmarino

Post by azulmarino »

Please, please, me (and surely many others) want that MintMenu can be opened by just pressing the Windows key. This should save a lot of movement/time and add productivity. It can't be too hard to implement, Gnomenu already does this!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

This has already been added to Linux Mint 7 Gloria.
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Gloria_RoadMap
mentos

Post by mentos »

You can right click on the menu and select settings... there you can set the key sequence of your choice to trigger the MintMenu..
fduppa

Post by fduppa »

What should I write to make mintmenu work with alt+f1 ??

i have already disabled the shortcut for the gnome menu on alt+f1, but, when i write on mintmenu "<Alt>F1" as shortcut, it doesn't work.

What should be the appropiate wording for it? <Alt><F1> ? <Mod4>F1 ? Alt+F1? ¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?

ps: it would be nice for mintmenu to autodetect the keys being pressed and save that as a hotkey.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is a year old topic ....
The keyboard shortcut for Mintmenu is Ctrl+Win
fduppa

Post by fduppa »

Husse wrote:This is a year old topic ....
The keyboard shortcut for Mintmenu is Ctrl+Win
Yes i know this is a year old topic.. if you want, I can make a shiny new one for u!!!!!

I already KNOW that it is Ctrl+Win, I want to change the ******* hotkey to Alt+F1
Last edited by Oscar799 on Mon May 03, 2010 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed
Husse

Post by Husse »

fduppa
This behavior is unacceptable - you will be banned
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Just for the record (and for people like me, searching for a solution for this):

- Remove the Alt+F1 assignment for "Panel Main Menu" in Settings / Keyboard Shortcuts by assigning another keyboard shortcut
- In the MintMenu properties set enter <Alt>F1 in the keyboard shortcut field
- Reboot (settings will not be effective before you do)

At least for me this made MintMenu open with Alt+F1
boboro

Post by boboro »

Thanks a lot axel668. Your solution has helped me. First, I didn't know how to write the shortcut, since there's no hint. Second, I didn't know that one should reboot to activate it.

I'm new to LinuxMint. If there's a wiki manual, this howTo should be definitely there (!) :)
People who come from Windows definitely need that.

Best,
b*
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

Just to make some things clear about keyboard shortcuts. Many shortcuts can be changed by right-clicking on the app, writing in the new desired one in the form <Alt><Shift>7 or whatever. If they don't work immediately, try logging out and back in again, if they still don't work try rebooting. MintMenu is like the last one. It evidently loads early in the boot process and merely logging out and back in again will not reset it -- but rebooting will.

If your desired shortcut still will not work, it may be in conflict with something else. Maybe that shortcut has already been used for something else. Gnome might tell you when you try to set it, but if not you might have to dig around. A good rule of thumb is not to use really common ones like <Ctl>z for example. If you have Compiz active, it over-rides existing identical shortcuts set in Metacity (the Gnome configuration app). For example, <Alt>Tab is the well-known shortcut key to activate and page forward through open apps. Usefully, it works the same on Windows, Mac and Linux (the Mac key of course is not "Alt" but "Command" -- it is in the same place on the keyboard though). Not so usefully, the keys to page backwards (reverse, move right to left), are different on the various OSes. I like the Mac solution, which uses <Cmd>grave (grave is the key right above the Tab key). But to set Mint to <Alt>grave one has to do it in Compiz, I think in the Window management section. Hope this helps, and if I erred in any part, please correct me. I've used various debian linux distros quite a while, but Mint only recently.

Regards,
feffer
Sir Doris

Post by Sir Doris »

An old topic, but still useful. I found that the default ctrl + Windows key shortcut didn't work, but I can get Windows-style behaviour by typing in "Super_L" and rebooting. I agree that this needs fixing - it's not intuitive that you need to type in the names of the modifier keys rather than press them, and having to restart is even worse.
snd

Post by snd »

Husse wrote:This is a year old topic ....
I don't think that is particularly relevant in this case. A search of Google leads here.
Sir Doris wrote:I found that the default ctrl + Windows key shortcut didn't work, but I can get Windows-style behaviour by typing in "Super_L" and rebooting.
Thank you Sir. I doubt that many new Linux users would think of using "Super_L" for the "Windows" key, though I note that this is now documented on page 23 of the official Mint documentation.
Migore

Post by Migore »

I got here through Google search. I had no idea what "Super_L" means. I can change the shortcut now.

I'm using Linux Mint 14, and I don't know if this is the proper place, but here are a few suggestions that I think it would make Linux Mint even better.
1. Make the button "Super_L" a different name, something more intuitive for the user. Even though I'm a Linux user for some time I had no idea what it meant.
2. I have the MATE Desktop and to change the shortcut I couldn't just press the buttons to change it, I had to type the key combination. This is implemented in other parts of the systems, it would be nice to have it everywhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.
CarLuv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CarLuv »

I was unaware of this, but the windows key alone does open the main menus.

Return to “Software & Applications”