Opera as default browser <SOLVED>

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
iteration

Opera as default browser <SOLVED>

Post by iteration »

The machine - 7 year old HP laptop, Pentium 4 dual-core 3 Ghz, 2GB RAM.
The OS - LMDE 32 bit gnome 2.32; The software - Opera 11.52.

The problem; a little history. Firefox 5, then in desperation 7.0.1 slowed the machine to a crawl, so I installed Chromium and Opera.

Chromium worked fast but blocked a lot of sites for no discernable reason, and didn't have 'print preview' as far as I could tell. Both Firefox and Chromium have 'check if this is the default browser / set as default'.

I can't find a similar thing for Opera. I've now purged Firefox and Chromium, leaving only Opera, but when I click on a link in e-mail, it won't send the link to the browser, up and running or not. Suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: Opera as default browser

Post by lmintnewb »

Dunno if this applies, don't have lmde installed myself. Found via a quick forum search though and summin for you to try ?

Taken from a post by zole052.
Menu > Preferences > Preferred Applications
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

I did a quick tutorial in forcing a default browser a little while back.

http://thistleweb.co.uk/blog/18/10/2011 ... eb-browser
iteration

Post by iteration »

@lmintnewb - Thanks. That did the trick. @thistleweb, thanks for the tutorial.
craigevil

Re: Opera as default browser <SOLVED>

Post by craigevil »

Hm Firefox 7..0.1 runs just fine on my ancient laptop.
System: Host: debian Kernel: 3.0.0-2-486 i686 (32 bit) Desktop KDE 4.6.5 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (sse sse2) clocked at 600.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

To set default browser in Debian as root run:

Code: Select all

update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
Default browser - MozillaZine Knowledge Base - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Debian

Gnome and KDE also have a setting that can be changed in the Control Panel/System Settings.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

craigevil wrote:Hm Firefox 7..0.1 runs just fine on my ancient laptop.
System: Host: debian Kernel: 3.0.0-2-486 i686 (32 bit) Desktop KDE 4.6.5 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (sse sse2) clocked at 600.00 MHz

Default browser - MozillaZine Knowledge Base - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Debian

Gnome and KDE also have a setting that can be changed in the Control Panel/System Settings.
You didn't even click on my tutorial did you? It uses two variables, some apps use one, some use the other, so changing one doesn't affect any apps that call the other. It's also noting to do with how well Firefox or any other application runs on your system or the spec of it.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

ThistleWeb wrote:
craigevil wrote:Hm Firefox 7..0.1 runs just fine on my ancient laptop.

You didn't even click on my tutorial did you? It uses two variables, some apps use one, some use the other, so changing one doesn't affect any apps that call the other. It's also noting to do with how well Firefox or any other application runs on your system or the spec of it.
Actually it does have to do with how well it runs, according to the OP:
The machine - 7 year old HP laptop, Pentium 4 dual-core 3 Ghz, 2GB RAM.
The OS - LMDE 32 bit gnome 2.32; The software - Opera 11.52.

The problem; a little history. Firefox 5, then in desperation 7.0.1 slowed the machine to a crawl, so I installed Chromium and Opera
The brought up his system specs, no reason Firefox or Chrome wouldn't work just fine unless there was a video driver issue, or flash causing the slow down.

why would I bother to look at a tutorial? The Debian wiki has this issue covered.
HOWTO/DefaultWebBrowser - Debian Wiki - http://wiki.debian.org/HOWTO/DefaultWebBrowser

And yes there are two settings x-www-browser and gnome-www-browser.
Inemuri

Post by Inemuri »

I was having the same problem on Mint 12.

I changed the default to Opera for x-www-browser and gnome-www-browser, but Thunderbird still opened links in Firefox.

The final thing I needed to change was in Menu -> System Tools -> System Settings -> System Info -> Default Applications
AnSnarkista

Post by AnSnarkista »

Hi! I know its solved, but i have a problem (serious one I think...jeje).

I've done all those solutions. Trying galternatives and both options of update-alternatives command, I have /opt/firefox/firefox selected, search for gnome-default-applications-properties (old Prefferred Applications), but no luck. Finally, I've tried to change the options in gnome-control-center > System Settings > Default applications, but in the Web option, there is only 2 options, Chromium, and Epiphany...no more options given...and i want to use Firefox...
This is the only option that I change, and take effect, but there's no option for Firefox! and its installed...

I've look also Firefox settings, and it says that is the default web browser, and in Pidgin preferences, it says (on the Browser settings), that it's managed by Gnome settings, and then, that no brwoser settings are found...

I don't know what to do, and it's annoying to open a Chromium or Epiphany window, only for watching a link...

Thanks!
iteration

Post by iteration »

I have yet to dip my toe into the gnome 3 waters, so I wouldn't know where to begin. Your predecessors reply worked for me in gnome 2 with update 3.

Return to “LMDE Archive”