[SOLVED] Can you move a HDD from one machine to another...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Can you move a HDD from one machine to another...

Post by chowanec »

Ok... My other thread must have scared folk away (http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=7838)

That said, here's my new idea -- and it may be flawed... so...

Can I install Mint on one PC (different motherboard, video card, processor) and then move that hard drive to a different PC? Will the install hold up? I'm assuming not, but you guys (and gals) all know a truckload more about linux than I do. I'm assuming it is like XP in the sense that it is establishing a hardware set that, if messed with, will cause weird things?

-Chow
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The Darkone
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can you move a HDD from one machine to another...

Post by The Darkone »

Yes, definitely yes.

Don't forget set your videocard into vesa-mode. But it is possible.
I've made this at my school the performance ist not 100%, but it is ok.

Only the HDD was orginal. Under Debian 3 unstable with Xfce 4.4
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

So...

No dice. I gave this a shot tonight -- installed from my desktop PC, using my mini-ITX's HDD as the system drive. Then I plugged THAT drive into the mini-ITX and it fails to find /dev/sda1 and drops me into busybox. From there, I have no idea what to do...

Is it possible on the install machine it is seen as SDA1 and on the mini-ITX it would be seen as something else?

Any help at all and I will preach to others how wonderful this forum is. :) Please help. I really don't want to use a different Distro... :(
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

Heh. Problem is, I can't boot the LIVE CD when I do the install from the Mini-ITX system. It won't start X for me to actually do the install. I was hoping to just get to a cli in Mint and I'd install OpenChrome. Ah well... I'm SO bummed... I want to run Mint, damnit.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

Finally got it all working via the OpenChrome drivers. If anyone does a search later and is having the same issues as me, here's the link to that one: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=7838

Ah... happiness again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”