Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
manny

Re: Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by manny »

I agree totally with tdockery97 LMDE was a novelty that the community wanted to test and experiment with. I downloaded Kubuntu 11.10 and after a couple of tweaks I found it to be a fantastic edition, almost as fast as LMDE is and easier to update to the latest software levels.

Since a LMDE is already going, just leave it as an experimental project for the more "hobby inclined" (sounds right?) users which can use it as a base to install their preferred environment to personalized a rolling distro of their choice.

I'm confident LM 12 will be a very solid release as always been. If time permits, I would prefer a LM-K based on Kubuntu 11.10 instead of a LMDE base, KDE 4.7.2 it really shines and it shows lots of maturity.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Fandangio wrote:Sorry MALsPA I still don't agree with your point of view and I still do not agree with Craig.
That's quite alright. I think Clem pretty much cleared it up, didn't he? Bottom line, you'll still have to sit tight and wait, or else switch distros or whatever. Complaining about not trusting Clem to deliver and all that stuff is a waste of time; I mean, obviously he's doing what he can and what he feels is best.
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Thanks very much for the update, Clem. We understand that you are in a particularly demanding situation with regard to plotting the future course for ALL Mint editions. Perhaps the quality of this distro has led to it becoming a victim of its own success, as our expectations of it are all now so high.
disciple1964

Post by disciple1964 »

To all those who feel we are attacking clem or LM, we are not..Just simply wanted to know why it took so long to produce a KDE version. I am the type of person that will ask questions and I will state my opinion, If people get defensive over a question then so be it, We all like linux mint, but I could care less if gnome has 90% or 2 %, If I want to use KDE then that is what I will use regardless of anyone else's opinions. Linux is what I choose to use and LM is a great distro. But I feel the main two desktops should be gnome and KDE, However there are other's who would think different. That is ok with me.

The very fact of discussions is what happens when growth of a product happens and you are not prepared for it. While I understand quality is important, up to now, the different versions have all been on time without issue. but all of a sudden it changes and the communication gets lost in translation. Now that clem has expressed his viewpoint, all should be understood. I will personally decide and test other platforms until I find one that works as good as LM but allows me to use KDE with updated software. I am not a ubuntu fan, but it seems they have what is needed at this time.

Sometimes the focus is too much on developers and not simple end users.
Imhoteps

Post by Imhoteps »

Fandangio wrote:Thanks for the response Clem, though I do worry about a KDE when it comes bottom of the chain.

I think gogogadget is right, maybe the team should focus on making one awesome edition instead of spreading the available resource too thin. I'd prefer to see Mint remain a success, even if that means KDE drops off the programme,
gogogadget wrote:... which makes me wonder, why Mint is provided with so many different Desktop environments. I mean what is this: Ubuntu has people who deliver Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu etc., each one only caring about their specific Desktop Environment (at least, that's what I think), but in Mint every single one of them has to be made by Clem. No wonder it takes so long for a release...
Why not face reality and reduce the amount of different Mint DE's? I know it sounds bad, but if 75% use the Main Edition with Gnome, why not stick to it fully? Obviously the workload is too much to keep any release dates anymore - or by the time it's released it's outdated. And the delays take longer and longer each new version. Ridiculous. Better stick to the Main Edition and maybe the Debian version - skip the rest (including the attempt to maintain a Gnome 2.x Desktop again...). Hard but honest. If people hate Mint out of a sudden because of empty promises or because of dropped Desktop Environments - doesn't matter anymore.
Im do absolutely agree with you two! Exactly my thoughts (despite I`m huge fluxbox fan; I also would prefer KDE over the Unity/Gnome2/3). Clem doesn`t has so wide resources as Canonical has, so just don`t waste human-hours on projects which can`t be done for now. Maybe later. Better maitain one or two, but U1tr@SupaHaxXxorU1tim2t3Mint3d1t1ionZzz.

P.S. And thanks for answering us, Clem!
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

disciple1964 wrote:To all those who feel we are attacking clem or LM, we are not..Just simply wanted to know why it took so long to produce a KDE version. I am the type of person that will ask questions and I will state my opinion, If people get defensive over a question then so be it, We all like linux mint, but I could care less if gnome has 90% or 2 %, If I want to use KDE then that is what I will use regardless of anyone else's opinions. Linux is what I choose to use and LM is a great distro. But I feel the main two desktops should be gnome and KDE, However there are other's who would think different. That is ok with me.

The very fact of discussions is what happens when growth of a product happens and you are not prepared for it. While I understand quality is important, up to now, the different versions have all been on time without issue. but all of a sudden it changes and the communication gets lost in translation. Now that clem has expressed his viewpoint, all should be understood. I will personally decide and test other platforms until I find one that works as good as LM but allows me to use KDE with updated software. I am not a ubuntu fan, but it seems they have what is needed at this time.

Sometimes the focus is too much on developers and not simple end users.
Well stated. I switched distros a long time ago. I love Mint and it's a great distro, but it isn't the only great distro. I need one where KDE is priority and not shoved to the back burner all the time.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

Two things

- perhaps Boo and Kendal need help

- perhaps switching to DE base is not really such a good idea. as mentioned it is fun to fiddle with the OS itself for some while most others just want some stable OS to use for their applications/programmes. I am using windowsXP on main mashcine and it's really been a while since i actually did any OS changes. I dont' care about os as long as the programmes i use run ok.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

mastablasta wrote:it is fun to fiddle with the OS itself for some while most others just want some stable OS to use for their applications/programmes.
That's precisely why I do prefer Debian over Ubuntu, I hate to reinstall every six months.
(Yeah, I know it's not mandatory, but it is if you want to stay up to date. And the version upgrading process always gives problems)
ruel24

Post by ruel24 »

BubbaBlues wrote:Well stated. I switched distros a long time ago. I love Mint and it's a great distro, but it isn't the only great distro. I need one where KDE is priority and not shoved to the back burner all the time.
Just out of curiosity, what distro did you switch to? I was a fan of Linux Mint before, but I'm a KDE guy. I need KDE, plain and simple. Kubuntu doesn't do it for me. It's like and afterthought. Linux Mint KDE was better, but it still wasn't in the same league of KDE integration as other distros that are more KDE-centric. Right now, I have PCLinuxOS and Mageia installed. I came back looking around to see if there was a new KDE version or not, only to be disappointed. Seriously, if a distro is going to only support 2 desktops, it should be Gnome and KDE - the big dogs. In the end, it's Clem's distro and his decision on where things are going to go, but I simply think it's a mistake.
tomstockmail

Post by tomstockmail »

I'm looking forward to LMDE KDE release too (I couldn't care less about the editions based on Ubuntu, it's a distro based on a distro based on a distro). Right now I'm using Sabayon (based on Gentoo, rolling release like LMDE) and the KDE support is great, running 4.7.2, but some of the insides of the OS bothers me. In example, one line reads "DONT rainbows MOVE THIS" and I have problems with Desura running properly, which the devs decided was not their fault (it totally is - they have a package compiled with options that the developer of said package says should not be compiled in). So I'm in the market for a new rolling distro (Gentoo is too time consuming).

I would hope Mint would support the best desktop environment but I guess they'd rather support a fork (MATE) and an experimental project (GNOME 3), so I haven't switched yet. I know I'm no help by doing so, so maybe I'll finally jump in and help support KDE on Linux Mint. Is there an IRC channel anywhere or a todo list?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

relax dude..give Clem a break...as you can see from the mint 12 blog on the first page he is hard at work getting mint 12 sorted out...he will address the kde lmde project in December when he is done with Mint 12...This a major change over for mint and the guy must be exhausted :lol:

so relax...you will get you mint kde lmde...have some patience... :wink:
manny

Post by manny »

I downloaded Kubuntu 11.10, installed Kubuntu-restricted-extras and Software Center as a must to have. Upgraded to KDE 4.7.2. Telling you the truth, I love it. It is fast, stable and beautiful. Software Center is excellent a joy to have in your OS. I was able to make my HP P1005 to work for the first time. No problem supporting the hardware I have, it just works.

I have not abandoned LM, I'm waiting patiently for Clem to work on the KDE next December. If LM can't provide with the satisfaction I'm having with Kubuntu right now I will not have the need to look for another distribution, I already have the perfect one for me. Next release will be supported for 5 years. I doubt a LMDE-KDE will perform as good as what I have but I will give it a try when released.

Cheers to all!
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I've been running LMDE with KDE on top of it and I have to say it's mighty nice. I'm looking forward to the official release when Clem gets it ready, and the simple ability to run it as a kludge is being enough to help me wait longer. Although isn't there a newer version than 2.4.3? I thought Amarok 3 would be out by now.
colyn

Post by colyn »

manny wrote:I downloaded Kubuntu 11.10, installed Kubuntu-restricted-extras and Software Center as a must to have. Upgraded to KDE 4.7.2.
Have you tried Kmail to see if the known bug (pop password does not store) has been fixed?

I tried 11.10 but it would not store my passwords.

What about the icon staying on the task bar even after closing the program??
manny

Post by manny »

Colyn, I don't use POP mail so I can't tell your about the problem you are experiencing with Kmail. About the icon on the task bar I don't have any problems, it closes as soon as I exit the application, check your Task Manager Settings, maybe the problem is a setting in there. The only problem I found so far is if I do an "Add icon to the desktop" from the kicker it sents it to my virtual desktop #3, instead of the current one, so better drag the icon manually to the desktop. Other than that the system is running very smooth. One big improvement has been the wi-fi, I have not been disconnect a single time since I installed the OS. Previous KDE releases it was terrible with my wireless connection but not this time, it works perfectly.

Cheers!
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

colyn wrote:
manny wrote:I downloaded Kubuntu 11.10, installed Kubuntu-restricted-extras and Software Center as a must to have. Upgraded to KDE 4.7.2.
Have you tried Kmail to see if the known bug (pop password does not store) has been fixed?

I tried 11.10 but it would not store my passwords.
I do not use Kmail.
colyn wrote: What about the icon staying on the task bar even after closing the program??
The problem is still there, and become more unpredictable.
Before update, the last window will stay on the taskbar even you close the window.
After update, the behavior became unstable. sometimes it goes away. Sometimes the last TWO windows will both stay on the taskbar instead of the last one. Sometimes only the last one stays there. In most case, the first window will not show on the taskbar :(

BTW, I hate Muon on 11.10. I do not know how to show the package version as in Synaptic. The column width of the package names is unchangeable...
colyn

Post by colyn »

manny wrote:it closes as soon as I exit the application, check your Task Manager Settings, maybe the problem is a setting in there.
This is a known KDE bug. Apparently it works fine on some but not others..

KDE 4.7.x seems to be having quiet a few issues so I'll wait till they get these issues worked out.
nukm

Post by nukm »

Those who really want KDE Mint might consider coughing up some significant cash. I did a rough sum on donations and sponsorships and they show roughly $41k at this point in the year. The number demonstrates that Clem must be independently wealthy or simply loves Mint. He could be making 6 figures easily if he was working for a corporation. From that $41k come all the expenses of Mint to this point in the year.

If you who are so desirous for a KDE Mint would cough up the loot, he could hire a dev, perhaps a maturing University student who also codes and loves Linux.

I can tell you exactly what will happen if Clem does not either contract his work schedule or receive enough cash to hire help. He will crash and burn, and/or his family will suffer and things will go south for them - and for Mint.

Many frequent posters here must be retired since they post so often, so dig deep and cough up several hundred bucks and get things moving. I personally would not attempt to "force" Clem do do KDE, simply because his effort has been outstanding from the beginning. He doesn't deserve to be treated as a "hired hand". And, he surely must determine who it is he would want to bring onboard to assist.

If you must have KDE, there is a sufficient supply of distros featuring KDE. Kubuntu 11.10 is running fine for me, both _32 & _64. I note also that I updated 2 installs from 11.04 without incident. Slackware always is tops and I'm still hanging out with 13.0 and 13.1. AbsoluteLinux from Paul Sherman is a neat Slack spin. Pardus also is KDE, and if you like older KDE, Kurumsal2 is nifty.

So, send cash - Clem needs help (dev) whether a KDE Mint is issued or not.
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

nukm wrote:Those who really want KDE Mint might consider coughing up some significant cash. I did a rough sum on donations and sponsorships and they show roughly $41k at this point in the year. The number demonstrates that Clem must be independently wealthy or simply loves Mint. He could be making 6 figures easily if he was working for a corporation. From that $41k come all the expenses of Mint to this point in the year.
So, send cash - Clem needs help (dev) whether a KDE Mint is issued or not.
Agree, I think Clem just need to focus on 1 or 2 versions. There should be an official announcement about abandoning KDE.
So far it is not very successful to search for an alternative distro. I think this is the real reason why this post is still hot ;)
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

nukm wrote:If you who are so desirous for a KDE Mint would cough up the loot, he could hire a dev, perhaps a maturing University student who also codes and loves Linux.

You make the assumption that people commenting on this KDE thread to not contribute to Mint. Personally I have sponsored Mint for a long time as many others here do. Sadly this month I have stopped sponsoring Mint as my contribution seems only to be going to supporting the development of Mint Gnome (and every other non KDE DE known to man)...

Return to “Software & Applications”