starting compiz

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dld
Level 1
Level 1

starting compiz

Post by dld »

I am moving from Ubuntu. Linux Mint on a backup system seemed wonderful. Compiz runs and places windows almost where I want them. (Firefox and Thunderbird refuse to go anywhere but workspace #1.) So the big plunge today: Put Mint on my main system. my /home is in a separate partition, so it should be retained. It was, but configuration information is included, so that the screen looks like my Ubuntu screen. Two panels with the "Applications Places System" directly from Ubuntu. Ok, I can handle the launchers.

But compiz isn't running so my startup app windows all pile up on workspace #1. ps -A shows metacity running. There must be a easy fix, but I can't find it. What starts the window manager? /etc/init.d doesn't tell me the answer. Thanks for help.\
Don
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
barko

Re: starting compiz

Post by barko »

I run it from autostart folder when I log in to gnome session. My command is only: "compiz --replace"
I hope this helps a little bit. :)

run this: gnome-session-properties

then add new program there with run command: compiz --replace

this should do the trick
dld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dld »

Wow! I just added compiz --replace as a Startup Application. All Hell breaks loose; looks like compiz and metacity are fighting. Endless placing startup windows over one another. I had to go to a console to reboot. Not sure how to ever recover other than another install.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Whilst you haven't said which version of mint you are running I am assuming it is Mint 11 since you posted in the forum for that version, in which case please read the release notes re Compiz.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”