Screen resolution problems

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fisher

Screen resolution problems

Post by fisher »

Alright,

I was able to get Mint Debian installed after a lot of problems (found out there is a problem regarding Intel GMA 4500 cards and the kernal), but I've been able to get it installed and my monitor now works. Only problem is that I'm currently running at 1024 x768 while my monitor can handle 1600 x 900. No option to change it because my monitor isn't detected. I've updated everything. All other hardware worked without a hitch. So how do I get X to run my Intel drivers as default? Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Arran

Re: Screen resolution problems

Post by Arran »

Do you have an integrated graphic card?
fisher

Post by fisher »

Yes.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please post the output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
fisher

Post by fisher »

Graphics: Card Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.10.4 Res: 1024x768@61.0hz
GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3 Direct Rendering Yes

Looks like it's working, but there's something still not right. If it helps, in order for my monitor to work at all I had to add i915.modeset=0 in booting options. Otherwise the monitor would shut off.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

i915 is the only driver available for this graphics card so if you force it to disable with modeset=0 you won't be able to use it.
fisher

Post by fisher »

I see. This laptop had no issues running any Linux distro prior to Mint 11. I've heard the problem started cropping up after kernel 2.6.31.6-1. I'll try i915.modeset=1 and see how that works.

Edit: It doesn't. Backlight keeps turning off.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

What laptop or motherboard do you have? Perhaps it's an ACPI problem. Does it work when booting with acpi=off?
fisher

Post by fisher »

AlbertP wrote:What laptop or motherboard do you have? Perhaps it's an ACPI problem. Does it work when booting with acpi=off?
Yes, but that just makes everything slow (mouse) and no internet access. If it might help, I've been consulting a few wikis:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Intel_GMA
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting

It's a known kernel bug.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you think it's a kernel bug, please post where you found this. If I don't know what exactly is going on, I can't solve it.
Also please post what type of computer you have.

Most of the things on the Gentoo wiki page don't apply to you as you aren't compiling your own kernel.
fisher

Post by fisher »

AlbertP wrote:If you think it's a kernel bug, please post where you found this. If I don't know what exactly is going on, I can't solve it.
I guess the Linux kernel people are aware of it (Gentoo and Debian wikis both list it, Ubuntu links show bug reports), but it looks like I might need to get my hands dirty and compile a kernel myself. Thank you for your time and help.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please post the link to the bug report at Ubuntu.
fisher

Post by fisher »

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/752165

Tried one of the fixes but still no luck.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please post the output of:

Code: Select all

lspci
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can also try upgrading your kernel to 3.1: http://http://forums.linuxmint.com/view ... 42&t=40185
I recommend to try the v3.1.1-oneiric kernel.
fisher

Post by fisher »

AlbertP wrote:You can also try upgrading your kernel to 3.1: http://http://forums.linuxmint.com/view ... 42&t=40185
I recommend to try the v3.1.1-oneiric kernel.
Sorry for the late reply, been caught up at work this week. I did compile a 3.1 kernel but it appeared to do nothing (it was bootable and worked just the same as the 3.0.1 kernel). I decided to revert the laptop back to Mint 10 and wait a few months until a new LMDE image comes out with a 3.1 (preferably 3.2 by that time) kernel. All indications are that the kernel team and Intel are hard at work ironing out this problem with integrated GMA cards. Thanks for the idea, but I think restoring a system image from an older Mint is faster on this laptop than compiling a new kernel. It's not like it's necessary to get a new OS or anything, but last week I caught a bit of the "distro-hopping" bug and wanted to try something new. To my disappointment, I couldn't try out either the new LMDE or Chakra outside a VM, both of which intrigue me for different reasons.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

By the way, it only applies to certain GMA models. I've tested a GMA 900 laptop with the 3.0 kernel and it's working fine. HD Graphics also appears to be working.

Return to “LMDE Archive”