Mepis 7.0 goes final.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buster
Level 1
Level 1

Mepis 7.0 goes final.

Post by buster »

Mepis is mentioned, along with PCLOS, as one of the 'friendly' distros in our forums. Thought people might like to know that the Debian based Mepis 7 went final yesterday. (They completed their move away from Ubuntu.) Worth a look. Can be downloaded here.

http://www.mepis.org/mirrors
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mepis 7.0 goes final.

Post by exploder »

Let me know what you think of the new theme!
buster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buster »

To me it looks professional and clean. Attractive. But I'm still partial to blue.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks for the response! I was on the artwork team.
molom

Post by molom »

So what's wrong with Ubuntu? Why did they switch to Debian if Ubuntu is based on Debian? Ubuntu is well known and has a good image, so not why continue having Mepis being based on Ubuntu?
buster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buster »

Warren wrote about it, but I can't find the article. I think the main concerns are two.

The software on the long term support Ubuntu releases had security updates, but no updates to the software itself. So it quickly became dated. The other concern was the fact that it was difficult to update from one release to another. The changes were fairly drastic.

Debian may allow simpler incremental upgrades with less awkwardness.

Keep in mind that I'm writing from memory, and I may be saying things that aren't accurate.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Going back to Debian makes Mepis more of a rolling release. Many user's do not want to do a clean install every 6 months to have up to date features and packages. Warren went back to work consulting and can not spend as much time working on Mepis. The community will be involved now.
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

Mepis rocks ... nice xmas present.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Very nice default artwork and theme.
I like the package description proceeding the actual name were most of the K abuse occurs.
Outstanding manual.

I still think KDE is a bit of a pill to swallow for most basic ms users but with that fantastic manual I could recommend Mepis 7 to converts with some skills.

I think I'm going to let this one out of the Vbox and find a real box for it.
molom

Post by molom »

Sam Linux 2008 came out today and apparently the developers for that distro hacked and took the Mint Menu for their distro. I guess Mint is the most unique distro ever and they couldn't think of anything better than Mints utilities to make something good ;) .
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The mint-menu is GPL, so there is nothing at all wrong with Sam Linux using it. I think it says a lot for LinuxMint when other distributions show interest in things like the mint-menu! The mint-menu was derived from the Suse slab menu and in my opinion, greatly improved!

It says a great deal for the work that has been done and really should be considered a compliment. Hats off to LinuxMint development!

Also, LinuxMint was given credit in the release announcement.
molom

Post by molom »

exploder wrote:The mint-menu is GPL, so there is nothing at all wrong with Sam Linux using it. I think it says a lot for LinuxMint when other distributions show interest in things like the mint-menu! The mint-menu was derived from the Suse slab menu and in my opinion, greatly improved!

It says a great deal for the work that has been done and really should be considered a compliment. Hats off to LinuxMint development!

Also, LinuxMint was given credit in the release announcement.
I don't think there's anything wrong with it unless people start to think that SAM linux made it. But they stated they hacked it from Mint, so I respect them. It just shows that Linux Mint has the best developers the Linux community has.

Cheers,
molom
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I agree with you. This shows without a doubt that the menu is liked by others and who knows, this could start a new trend!
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

I wish Nico would've hacked mintupdate while he had his hand in the cookie jar. Bye the way SAM 2008 looks real good. The competition in the xfce game is getting real intense, lots of good stuff.

Return to “Chat about Linux”