Unofficial Post Your Linux Mint Desktop Thread

Show off your customized Linux Mint desktop!
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unofficial Post Your Linux Mint Desktop Thread

Post by spsf64 »

tdockery97 wrote:
rhY wrote:Wow. Seriously hate Mint 12. Am I the only one? Top task bar is horrid, can't add shortcuts to either task bar.... I'm NOT moving myself or any of my clients to this OS unless it gets fixed big time. Just popped in here to see if anyone had gotten it to be usable (IE like Mint 10 or 11), and I don't really see one so far.
Are you sure you took enough time to check out the new RC? Here's mine set up just like Mint 11 with taskbar on the bottom, icons on the desktop, right-click works on the taskbar and the desktop, and I am able to put shortcuts on the panel if I want to, I just don't like them there. The only thing missing is the regular Mint Menu, and Clem says that's on the way.

This screenshot is just great! :mrgreen:
Is this gnome shell full or the classic one?
Another question, how did you move the clock/date to the right? I just got mine centered, it only moves by itself when there many windows open...

edit: just solved the clock position, so easy (once again alt + right click + move)
Sergio
simpleblue

Post by simpleblue »

BostonPeng wrote:Sweet desk, simpleblue. Can we get details on themes and settings? I know it's probably a GNOME session but I'm still curious to know how you achieve it.
It's Commodore OS, but before the forum goes crazy saying I'm promoting another desktop, it actually runs ontop of Mint 10. There are no add-ons and this is the stock distro, so I don't know how it's done.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I love the way the titlebars look. Thanks for the info.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

spsf64 wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:
rhY wrote:Wow. Seriously hate Mint 12. Am I the only one? Top task bar is horrid, can't add shortcuts to either task bar.... I'm NOT moving myself or any of my clients to this OS unless it gets fixed big time. Just popped in here to see if anyone had gotten it to be usable (IE like Mint 10 or 11), and I don't really see one so far.
Are you sure you took enough time to check out the new RC? Here's mine set up just like Mint 11 with taskbar on the bottom, icons on the desktop, right-click works on the taskbar and the desktop, and I am able to put shortcuts on the panel if I want to, I just don't like them there. The only thing missing is the regular Mint Menu, and Clem says that's on the way.

It's MATE. Well, either that or tdockery managed to make Gnome Shell look exactly like MATE. You can choose a MATE session from the new login screen.

Honestly no offence intended but you know you're on the Mint forum when a very 90s windows looking desktop is described as "great" :D
karashata

Post by karashata »

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's the GNOME 3 fallback mode. It's not quite the same as GNOME 2 was, but if one takes the time, one can configure it to fairly closely resemble what GNOME 2 was. Once Clem ports the Mint Menu to GNOME 3, I'm sure one could very easily configure the fallback session to resemble the default Mint GNOME 2 session, I'm pretty sure Mint Menu is all that's missing as far as the default configured panel applets go.
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spsf64 »

bimsebasse wrote: Image

It's MATE. Well, either that or tdockery managed to make Gnome Shell look exactly like MATE. You can choose a MATE session from the new login screen.

Honestly no offence intended but you know you're on the Mint forum when a very 90s windows looking desktop is described as "great" :D
Hi bimsebasse, thanks for replying.
I don't think it is MATE, probably gnome shell 3 classic fallback check my post here : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p494072
About the "great', I really liked the panel @bottom... I think I share similar taste on desktop looking as tdockery97, lol!
Sergio
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Yes, it is indeed the fallback mode (the classic gnome with effects enabled). Like I've said before, the fallback is currently still here and will most likely be in the next LTS (Mint 13), so you will be able to have a good Gnome 2 facsimile for another 5 years. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

craig10x wrote:tdockery97...by regular mint menu...do you mean just like the old one in gnome 2? It's going to be on the mint 12 mgse final release?
when i say old one, i mean like the one mint had up until now as opposed to the new design that is appearing in the release candidate...
Yes, I mean the REAL Mint Menu!!! Sweet, eh?
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

OK, just bear in mind that MATE has a possible future and fallback-session definitely hasn't, it's not something Gnome will maintain for years to come. I tried MATE earlier out of curiosity and it looks exactly as in the screenshot, so you might wanna check it out.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

tdockery97 wrote:
craig10x wrote:tdockery97...by regular mint menu...do you mean just like the old one in gnome 2? It's going to be on the mint 12 mgse final release?
when i say old one, i mean like the one mint had up until now as opposed to the new design that is appearing in the release candidate...
Yes, I mean the REAL Mint Menu!!! Sweet, eh?
super cool 8)
and i do hope you mean on the msge side as well as mate and fallback...because i'd be using the mgse side....
the menu being used in the RC is not too bad looking (though i am not "wild" about black)...but i'd really love to have the good old mint menu instead... :)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Mint 12RC with Gnome3.2
Wallpaper - Random Plasmoid Matter Grey by submicron - http://www.deviantart.com
Gnome Shell Theme - Dark Shine - http://www.deviantart.com
GTK3 Theme - Blapple - http://www.gnome-look.org
Icons - LinuxLex-BlackWhite - http://www.gnome-look.org

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Ooooh, pretty Oscar799.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Leit

Post by Leit »

LM KDE

EDIT:
Laptop Ubuntu 11.10
Last edited by Leit on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

tdockery97 wrote:Ooooh, pretty Oscar799.
Thank You tdockery97 :D
PietroTux88

Post by PietroTux88 »

This is my Debian Testing XFCE amd64 with kernel 3.0.1 and trasparence effects bars and panell

clear desktop

dirty desktop
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

tdockery97 wrote:Yes, it is indeed the fallback mode (the classic gnome with effects enabled). Like I've said before, the fallback is currently still here and will most likely be in the next LTS (Mint 13), so you will be able to have a good Gnome 2 facsimile for another 5 years. :D
tdockery97, just curious, how did you setup Mint 12 to look that way, I'd love to set it up that way for my wife.
Thanks!
KBD47
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

KBD47 wrote:tdockery97, just curious, how did you setup Mint 12 to look that way, I'd love to set it up that way for my wife.
Thanks!
KBD47
Are you talking about the screenshot with the icons on the desktop? That one is Classic Gnome. I just deleted the bottom panel, then moved the top panel to the bottom. You can just drag the shortcuts from the menu to the desktop. Once Clem gets the real Mint Menu ported to Gnome 3, you should be able to replace the Gnome Menu with it.

I just did that one to show how it can be set up like usual Mint. My real working desktop is set up with the bottom panel deleted, the top panel set to auto-hide, and cairo dock:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

tdockery97 wrote:
KBD47 wrote:tdockery97, just curious, how did you setup Mint 12 to look that way, I'd love to set it up that way for my wife.
Thanks!
KBD47
Are you talking about the screenshot with the icons on the desktop? That one is Classic Gnome. I just deleted the bottom panel, then moved the top panel to the bottom. You can just drag the shortcuts from the menu to the desktop. Once Clem gets the real Mint Menu ported to Gnome 3, you should be able to replace the Gnome Menu with it.

I just did that one to show how it can be set up like usual Mint. My real working desktop is set up with the bottom panel deleted, the top panel set to auto-hide, and cairo dock:

Thanks! How did you get the top panel to the bottom in classic? How does it move?
Regarding Cairo-Dock, I installed it and just log into Cairo-Dock and it has no other panels. I was glad to see it did not affect any of the other log ins: MGSE, MATE, or Classic, I just log into the Cairo-Dock session. I'm guessing you installed it differently than I did if you have to remove and hide panels. Here is the guide I used for Cairo-Dock:
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/cairo-do ... ustom.html
Thanks again.
edit: OK I got it. Wow. Right now I'm thinking Clem should release a Mint 12 Basic iso with this setup: remove bottom bar, move top bar to bottom, add buttons and workspaces, and of course the Mint menu. Except for loss of some configurability, and needing to learn to use the alt button along with right click--this is Mint 11 desktop!
KBD47
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

'nother LM12, sorry about the size. I was being lazy...
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

Nice screenshot lKingjr, that menu looks superb in black.

Return to “Screenshots”