Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JeffShepherd

Re: Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by JeffShepherd »

tomp01 wrote:I can't really understand why anybody would choose LMDE KDE 12 over Mepis 11/12, maybe somebody could sell it to me?
The reason will probably be why someone chooses Mepis 11/12 over another KDE distro, simply personal choice.
tomp01

Post by tomp01 »

JeffShepherd wrote:
tomp01 wrote:I can't really understand why anybody would choose LMDE KDE 12 over Mepis 11/12, maybe somebody could sell it to me?
The reason will probably be why someone chooses Mepis 11/12 over another KDE distro, simply personal choice.
Oh thanks for that, what an informative answer. I like Mint because it is different but now it looks like it will just be a green themed clone of Mepis.
kage

Post by kage »

tomp01 wrote:
JeffShepherd wrote:
Oh thanks for that, what an informative answer. I like Mint because it is different but now it looks like it will just be a green themed clone of Mepis.
(K)ununtu is debian based so is Mepis. You like both.. Why should LMDE be the same like Mepis?
Don't see why you bother.

Or just trolling?
tomp01

Post by tomp01 »

Kubuntu is Ubuntu based which derives from Debian. Mepis and LM KDE are both directly derived from Debian Stable. So again, what is the USP for Mint v Mepis?
I should point out that I'm not a great fan of Mepis, yes it very stable but it is also very trailing edge compared to Kubuntu. I just see Mint going exactly the same way. One further thing, Kubuntu 12.04 will be an LTS of five years duration which is a major selling point.
kage

Post by kage »

tomp01 wrote:Kubuntu is Ubuntu based which derives from Debian. Mepis and LM KDE are both directly derived from Debian Stable. So again, what is the USP for Mint v Mepis?
I should point out that I'm not a great fan of Mepis, yes it very stable but it is also very trailing edge compared to Kubuntu. I just see Mint going exactly the same way. One further thing, Kubuntu 12.04 will be an LTS of five years duration which is a major selling point.
LMDE KDE will be a rolling distro which (hopefully) will be very Minty. What more USP do you want???

kage
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

I think that next KDE release should look like this. :)
It looks awesome :)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9564750/snapshot4.png
manny

Post by manny »

Mepis is based on Debian stable, LMDE on testing. To bad Mepis is on kernel 2.6.36 which doesn't support my wireless, maybe when they upgrade to 3.0 I might give it a try.

Using one distro or another is a matter of personal choice. Personally, I like the idea of a 5 year support on Kubuntu starting next April.

Cheers!
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

I am also waiting for the mint KDE. When I saw what happenned to Fedora and Ubuntu, I started to use KDE to make sure I get used to it and the switch would be painless. For me Gnome 3 and Ubuntu (the default flavour) are not suitable. In fact we know that developers of those two decided to forget about laptops and desktop and go for pads and touch screens. Its good decision for them, but bad for me. Due to onepart of my "work" being done with sound recording and video/picture editing, Gnome 3 and ubuntu just don't cut it anymore. These are not made for intensive "work". Just try running ardour, jack, rotter and open a couple of windows, plus inkscape - you will see what I mean. Instead of my workflow to be smooth, its like I have to constantly fight with my own DE. Look even Ubuntu Studio switched to XFCE. I guess XFCE is a new Gnome now. XFCE is good, but I like what KDE is doing - very well integrated desktop.
KDE is the only DE left standing for people who like the glitter and "normal" desktop for work.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

utsuwa wrote:KDE is the only DE left standing for people who like the glitter and "normal" desktop for work.
I agree. KDE seems to be the only "traditional" desktop remaining. Both Xfce and LXDE are good, but cannot be completely like KDE or Gnome 2 without becoming much heavier desktops.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

To tdockery97,

And KDE is actually very good for any of the refugees from "feline OSs made by the fruit" and other OSs. If anyone ever saw KDE system settings and that of Lion/Tiger etc they look very similar. And we all know what that bottom panel in "7" is trying to immitate. Thus, KDE is really good, it provides the "familiar" feeling for the masses. And that jumping icon when you start some application - genious. Whenever any of my friends (ladies) see that, I always get invariable "how cute" comment.
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

For me KDE is the perfect DE.

It does everything Gnome 2.x did and more. It allows for a traditional workflow but with many features that make it perfect for getting work done. For me it is fast too (though admittedly I have a mid spec machine - well, low mid spec I guess).

It's amazing that there is not more drive toward KDE from people who dislike Gnome Shell or Unity. I guess the community is quite divided between Gnome and KDE. I mean all the attention Mint 12 is getting is primarily because it is making Gnome Shell react like Gnome 2.whatever. So taking a design and ripping it apart produces a result better than something that natively is designed to give you the desktop you require (ie traditional)?

I'm looking forward to OpenSUSE12, 1 day to go!!!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I could be wrong, but it seems that one of the biggest reasons people cite for choosing other DE's over KDE is resource usage. KDE admittedly uses more RAM (and CPU cycles) in it's standard configuration than Gnome and most others. For many people this can be a big problem. For many others using a newer machine it no longer matters. Configurations of 4+GB of RAM and very fast CPU's are becoming commonplace in even budget laptops. I am personally torn between Gnome and KDE, so dual-booting is a necessity for me to alternate and get my "fix" of both. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

I have another machine for that with Ubuntu.

I have Unity and Gnome Shell and have recently been booting into Gnome a fair bit. It's a machine I only use for limited tasks such as web browsing and video playback. For that they are equally proficient (though I prefer Gnome). Maybe that is their sole objective, easy first user experience (after all it worked for Apple) with limited functionality.

For work though, and on my main machine, I need the scope of something more than a glorified tablet OS.

Apart from when testing I wonder if any of the dev's are working in a Gnome Shell environment :wink:
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

tdockery97 wrote:I could be wrong, but it seems that one of the biggest reasons people cite for choosing other DE's over KDE is resource usage. KDE admittedly uses more RAM (and CPU cycles) in it's standard configuration than Gnome and most others. For many people this can be a big problem. For many others using a newer machine it no longer matters. Configurations of 4+GB of RAM and very fast CPU's are becoming commonplace in even budget laptops. I am personally torn between Gnome and KDE, so dual-booting is a necessity for me to alternate and get my "fix" of both. :lol:
Definitely, KDE is not for old machines. And on some of my old stuff I would rather run openbox flavour (Mint, Arch or whatever) or even TinyCore with E17. However, if we are to compare KDE vs Gnome, the RAM/CPU usage doesn't apply anymore, as running Fedora 15,16 will clearly show how sluggish Gnome 3 is. Without all the KDE bells and whistles. Gnome 2 was faster, but now KDE provides a way more efficient use of your hardware as compared to Gnome 3.
I think we should declare death of Gnome on the desktop.
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

KDE is getting better and better. Currently it is my preferable Linux desktop environment than Unity or Gnome 3 (both sucks). Linux Mint KDE edition will be awesome on Debian base, because of nature less recource hungry base.
manny

Post by manny »

I have it clear, to me KDE is the winner on my PC. It may require more resources but it gives me much more than Gnome. I found ridiculous some of the comments about LM12 RC but any way, Gnome is not longer for me. KDE is a serious environment, full of customization, it has improve its stability and the speed is very good. You can't beat the richness and beauty of its UI. Hope sooner or later, Linux reviewers starts writing about the goodness of KDE and encouraging smart users to give it a shot. Who knows, Gregx10 may become a convert too, :lol:
manny

Post by manny »

I meant Craig10x. Hope he enjoys LM12.

Cheers!
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

tomp01 wrote:
JeffShepherd wrote:
tomp01,

Sorry, I wasn't being flippant. What I was trying to say is someone will have chosen Mepis but for the same reasons, or completely different reasons another person might have chosen LMDE. Why do I use LMDE when I could use Mint 11? Why use Mint at all when we could all use Debian or Ubuntu? For me Ubuntu based distros wont install on my hard drive without a great deal of hassle whereas Debian based distros install with no problems. I have looked at Mepis in the past and again recently because I want to use KDE but have decided to stick with LMDE because I like the idea of the upgrade packs and how Mint in general seems to take a lot of ideas from users instead of the developers giving us what they want us to have.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

tdockery97 wrote:I am personally torn between Gnome and KDE, so dual-booting is a necessity for me to alternate and get my "fix" of both. :lol:
You dual boot just to get the ability to use either GNOME or KDE? I take it you don't mean a traditional dual boot setup with different partitions for each. It's pretty easy to select what DE to use from the login screen.

[OT?]I may be closer to trying to delete GNOME than I thought. As I was watching the boot messages scroll past (is there a way to get a splash screen rather than the text readout?) I noticed that gdm was launched but not KDE because it isn't the default display manager. When I get done my normal Tuesday errands I'll have to see if there's a way to make KDE the default dm. I use GNOME so seldom I'm feeling it's just taking up space and resources. [/OT?]

[Further OT]Does anyone know a way to force Firefox to use Dolphin rather than Nautilus? It always seems weird that when I open a download folder location I get a pretty ugly file manager window.[/Further OT]
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

manny wrote:I meant Craig10x. Hope he enjoys LM12.

Cheers!

Thanks Manny :lol:

Return to “Software & Applications”