Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

I have been a Mint user for a while, and am primarily an LMDE guy, but simply couldn't resist the opportunity to check out GNOME 3.2 a la Mint.

So far, I really like it. The different workspace arrangements took a little time to get used to (and the lack of mouse scroll-based changes to workspaces is a negative), however overall the benefits outweigh the detriments. There are definitely some things from GNOME 2 that I miss (alt-tab across ALL workspaces, for example), but those things will all come with time. I agree with the post above that mentioned how extensions are javascript/css based, and I too really like this. I have already commented out a couple key sections that solved a big problem I had: when the bottom bar is eliminated but task list remains, it merges with the top bar, but the applications button was pushed to the far-right while the hot corner remained on the left. I removed that push (as well as the annoying Show Desktop icon) so that now I have the applications button in the hot corner with full task list. Not explaining this to show off or anything, more to show how easy it is to manipulate the code setup to get the expanded customization we are all looking for, so I know the ability to make those changes in the GUI are right around the corner. I think by the time we reach the new year, a lot of the problems that has created this initial backlash shall be allayed.

I'm probably not going to install Mint 12 on all of my machines (the Ubuntu-based undercarriage is still very present, and I much prefer a pure Debian base), however I believe the early progress made is excellent and look forward to its further development. It is also quite reassuring that by the time LMDE gets this upgrade, it will be much more refined.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Trying 12/Gnome 3 on a desktop. Well impressed so far after much disappointment with Unity. Still learning my way around but I reckon I could get to like it when more options are available. Well done to Clem and the team.

However I am thrown for a loop because I can't find any way to create launcher icons on the desktop. Right click does nothing and dragging from the menu does nothing as well. Can't right click on desktop to "Create launcher". Can't add anything to favourites? Saw a thread earlier here about the same issue but never saw a reply. Must be doing something silly?? I have searched a fair bit without success.

Anyone help...
TIA
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

bimsebasse wrote:
How did you disable the bottom panel?
Launch Advanced Settings, under "Shell Extensions" turn off "Bottom Panel Extension" and "Window List Extension". If the panel doesn't disappear immediately, log out and in again to see the effect.
Me too. Gnome 2, looks so archaic after using gnome 3 for a while, also on archlinux.
After a month on Gnome Shell and more months on Unity before that, logging into a classic session or MATE feels like a trip back to a distant and inconvenient past, and I had no problem with Gnome 2 at all half a year ago. :D
Thank you! I am without the bottom panel. Now, I have a Gnome 3 DE with a very thin top panel.
phishsauce

Post by phishsauce »

LifeInTheGrey wrote:I have been a Mint user for a while, and am primarily an LMDE guy, but simply couldn't resist the opportunity to check out GNOME 3.2 a la Mint.

So far, I really like it. The different workspace arrangements took a little time to get used to (and the lack of mouse scroll-based changes to workspaces is a negative), however overall the benefits outweigh the detriments. There are definitely some things from GNOME 2 that I miss (alt-tab across ALL workspaces, for example), but those things will all come with time. I agree with the post above that mentioned how extensions are javascript/css based, and I too really like this. I have already commented out a couple key sections that solved a big problem I had: when the bottom bar is eliminated but task list remains, it merges with the top bar, but the applications button was pushed to the far-right while the hot corner remained on the left. I removed that push (as well as the annoying Show Desktop icon) so that now I have the applications button in the hot corner with full task list. Not explaining this to show off or anything, more to show how easy it is to manipulate the code setup to get the expanded customization we are all looking for, so I know the ability to make those changes in the GUI are right around the corner. I think by the time we reach the new year, a lot of the problems that has created this initial backlash shall be allayed.

I'm probably not going to install Mint 12 on all of my machines (the Ubuntu-based undercarriage is still very present, and I much prefer a pure Debian base), however I believe the early progress made is excellent and look forward to its further development. It is also quite reassuring that by the time LMDE gets this upgrade, it will be much more refined.
Would you by any chance be able to post a patch file as a gist on github for this? Or if you could send me a copy of the file you modified I could post it up. I'd love to get my hands on the fixes you described..
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

Thanks Clem and Mint Team for giving us perfect Linux desktop and awesome distribution. :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

chdslv wrote:
phishsauce wrote: I've noticed a few issues with suspend / resume. It seems to not work actually, if I close my laptop lid or let it sit for so long (long enough to go into suspension) the screen just goes blank and about 50% of the time in which it does not come back I will get a cursor that moves around but doesnt do anything...
Yes, it doesn't suspend correctly, meaning the resuming from suspension is quite bad, what I get is screen with both panels full of snow and without any words. Something has to be done on this, and I'm sure it will be done.

I have Fedora Verne and there is no problem at all in suspend/resume. Mint is better is reaction to commands than Fedora Verne. Mint12 has too many apps, while Verne has very less, making it easy for me to install only the apps I need. I had to install NVidia driver to both distros anyway.

I am also not quite happy with the square icons, which doesn't tell me the name of the application. Of course, I know by the time the full Mint12 comes, it would be superb.

Thanks!
I take it you mean the square blank icons you see in the Activities/Applications screen? If so, you'll notice that these blank icons are duplicates of some of the non-blank Icons in the applications screen--not all though (all LibreOffice icons, Firefox, etc). These duplicates come from the hidden "Debian" menu that's not visible in either the Gnome 3 shell bar on the left or the new MGSE Mint menu.

You can correct this via the Main Menu app that has always been available in previous versions of Linux Mint (Gnome)/Ubuntu/Debian unfortunately, it's not installed by default in Gnome 3. To do so just open Synaptic and search for "alacarte" (Main Menu app) and install it. Once installed, go to either type of menu and type in "menu" and the "Main Menu" icon should appear. Open the app and look down the list on the left hand side (main categories) for "Debian". Click on the arrow next to "Debian" and it will drop down a list of sub-categories. By selecting these sub-categories (and sub-sub-categories) and checking the list in the middle pane you'll be able to uncheck all these duplicate entries and then verify their absence by bringing up the Activities/Applications screen.

Yeah, it's a pain in the rear but it only took me about 5 minutes to find and uncheck all those duplicate entries. Gnome 3/shell growing pains I suppose. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Just curious, what does "Windows List Extension" control under advanced settings?
Thanks.
KBD47
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

phishsauce wrote:Would you by any chance be able to post a patch file as a gist on github for this? Or if you could send me a copy of the file you modified I could post it up. I'd love to get my hands on the fixes you described..
Its nothing too crazy ... under /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ is where all the extensions are held. windowlist@linuxmint.com refers to the Window List, so if you open that folder as root (using terminal ... no GUI-based Open as Administrator yet) you can edit extension.js. (Forgive the over-explanation, I figure I can provide a version that noobs can try if they want). if you do try this, make sure to back up your existing extension.js file.

To remove the Show Desktop button, comment out (add // in front of) line 650.
To keep the activities button on the left, comment out lines 641, 642, 643
To keep the "Active Application" tab in the activities bar (traditional GNOME 3 open window identifier), comment out line 646 (I didn't ... with a Task List, why keep it?)

This will keep the activities (infinity) button on the left, keep the hot corner active, disable the show desktop button, and show the task list. Personally, I don't know why this functionality isn't standard; an if statement determining the existence of a mintMenu could determine activities button placement, and an if statement determining the task list on the top bar could determine whether to show open application tab or not. I'd attempt it myself, except I'd really only be able to supply the javascript; tying that into the rest of the system to activate for the GUI is beyond my current knowledge.

I still cannot determine how to eliminate the activities button entirely without also eliminating the hot corner. But that is seriously how easy it is to modify these files, hence my optimism regarding rapid development of customization. :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

KBD47 wrote:Just curious, what does "Windows List Extension" control under advanced settings?
Thanks.
KBD47
When enabled it shows the open windows on the lower bar same as Gnome 2.32 did and KDE does (and WinXP for that matter). To check for yourself just open Advanced Settings, turn the extension off and restart Gnome shell (alt+2 then type "r" and hit enter).
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

kmb42vt wrote:
KBD47 wrote:Just curious, what does "Windows List Extension" control under advanced settings?
Thanks.
KBD47
When enabled it shows the open windows on the lower bar same as Gnome 2.32 did and KDE does (and WinXP for that matter). To check for yourself just open Advanced Settings, turn the extension off and restart Gnome shell (alt+2 then type "r" and hit enter).
OK, I tried turning it off and it removes the open windows and minimized windows view on my top panel (I have the bottom panel turned off). I actually want my minimized and open windows to show up on my top panel on the desktop so I'll be leaving that on.
Thanks.
KBD47
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

I will also point out that a big shortfall I'm trying to solve is the Pidgin status integration with GNOME Shell. I agree with Mint's choice to use Pidgin instead of Empathy, although at the very least they could include the extension that uses system notifications for Pidgin (you can get it in upd8's ppa, but it should be included due to this application choice) and match Pidgin's status to the status menu. If someone has an idea that can help to guide me to an answer there ... I'd appreciate it.
bwsmith25

Post by bwsmith25 »

gtr1957 wrote:Attempt to install failed. The live user seemed to work okay, so I decided to install. I couldn't get past 'chosing a picture for my user account' because the continue button was off screen (below). I suspect this is due to the screen dimensions of my HP mini-210 netbooks, on which I am currently running Mint 11,Windows XP and MEPIS. I had intended to install into one of 2 unused partitions. The screen options available were 1024x600 and 800x600, both of which had the same problem the next or continue button (whichever it should be) was off the bottom of the screen. I could shrink (down) the screen, but never raise it to show the bottom few lines). The native screen dimension of the mini-210 is 1366x768. Any suggestions?... magic keystroke combinations?...
Hold the "alt" key and move the window towards the top of the screen, and you can move it up far enough to click "continue" to finish installation. I had this same problem on my HP Mini, and this solution worked for me.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

arjay wrote:Trying 12/Gnome 3 on a desktop. Well impressed so far after much disappointment with Unity. Still learning my way around but I reckon I could get to like it when more options are available. Well done to Clem and the team.

However I am thrown for a loop because I can't find any way to create launcher icons on the desktop. Right click does nothing and dragging from the menu does nothing as well. Can't right click on desktop to "Create launcher". Can't add anything to favourites? Saw a thread earlier here about the same issue but never saw a reply. Must be doing something silly?? I have searched a fair bit without success.

Anyone help...
TIA
This is Gnome Shell by design, it's not a decision Mint or anyone using Gnome 3 with Gnome Shell has made themselves. There is an extension called frippery (google search) that makes the gnome panels a bit more old school. However, you can add favourites to the overview left bar (unenigmatically called the favourites bar) and then it's simply a matter of running your mouse into the top left corner and clicking your application icon in the favourites bar.
Adherente

Post by Adherente »

Newbie question here, Is it posible to remove the top panel and leave everything (MintMenu, notifications, clock, etc) in the bottom panel?

Thx a lot for your time :)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Not at the moment, no, but you might want to consider using MATE as default login session instead of Gnome (with Gnome Shell). MATE has just a bottom panel with menu, favourites icons, open window tabs, calendar and notification icons, and no top panel. See it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEB-fXBhoc
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

arjay wrote:Trying 12/Gnome 3 on a desktop. Well impressed so far after much disappointment with Unity. Still learning my way around but I reckon I could get to like it when more options are available. Well done to Clem and the team.

Anyone help...
TIA
I think it is mentioned how to do this earlier in this thread. I added chromium, firefox, etc., to the desktop by logging into Gnome Classic, dragging and dropping the apps to the desktop there, then logging back into MGSE and they are on the desktop. Favorites I added by clicking on the infinity icon, adding them to the gnome shell there, and then they were also in MGSE. I think there are other ways, but that is how I did it.
KBD47
benmajor

Post by benmajor »

Um, is this the appropriate place to post a possible bug in Mint 12 RC? It's an announcement thread, afterall. Is there a Mint 12 RC Bug Discussion Thread? Maybe I'm just missing it? Was up late last night enjoying the new goodness off the live cd of LIsa 64. Thanks, Ben

P.S. the bug I'm experiencing is weird. Installed Mint 12 yesterday & my browsers keep launching on their own every 5-10 seconds. Never seen anything like it. Virus? Bug? Time Loop Vortex?
phishsauce

Post by phishsauce »

Apparently the latest version of gnome fixes this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/879632 hopefully it is included in the final release!
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

This is still RC, but a pretty good one.
Let me summarise few things;

* Try to find a way to open the writing below the icons in the application window, when the cursor is there,
* Or, give such icons, which tells us what it is without reading,
* Try to correct the suspend/resume issue,
* The thinner top panel is the best gift from Mint.
* Let the bottom panel be for the Gnome2 lovers, as the Gnome3 ones can delete it,
* For the Gnome2 lovers, maybe its better to take away the favourites from the menu there, or use the old menu because, if many apps added to that menu, it goes out of the screen,
* Gnome3 ones should not add too many apps to the favourites, maybe Mint could offer additional full screen window for favourites, rather than the Gnome3 left side favourite panel
* In the original wallpaper, the round Mint "12" should not be falling, but rising.

On the whole, this Mint 12 is a beauty.
Thanks & good luck to Clem and the Team! :D :D
raywoods

Post by raywoods »

I assume Enterprise Distributions are not jumping ship yet, Enterprise systems just don’t work that way. Cutting edge software is not for them, they demand stability. The same should apply to Linux Mint. If Enterprise Distributions can retain established, respected and stable desktops, why can’t we?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”