[Solved] LM 12 move top bar to bottom

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bruce McL

[Solved] LM 12 move top bar to bottom

Post by Bruce McL »

I found a Gnome Shell Extension called Reflection that moves the top bar to the bottom.

http://ahdiaz.euler.es/reflection-windowlist

However I cannot get it to work. Perhaps someone who knows what they are doing can get this to work or modify it to work.

I am liking this release a lot. I disabled the bottom bar but I have the LM menu in the top bar.

I think the Linux Mint people are doing a great job. I was a Mac IT guy during the changeover from OS 9 to OS X. I think this changeover to Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell is going pretty well in comparison.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
z06gal

Re: LM 12 move top bar to bottom

Post by z06gal »

Bruce McL wrote:I found a Gnome Shell Extension called Reflection that moves the top bar to the bottom.

http://ahdiaz.euler.es/reflection-windowlist

However I cannot get it to work. Perhaps someone who knows what they are doing can get this to work or modify it to work.

I am liking this release a lot. I disabled the bottom bar but I have the LM menu in the top bar.

I think the Linux Mint people are doing a great job. I was a Mac IT guy during the changeover from OS 9 to OS X. I think this changeover to Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell is going pretty well in comparison.

Well, I can't get it to work either. They don't even show up so I'm not sure what the problem is.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Got it working - move the downloaded "gnome-shell-reflection@emergya.com" folder to /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ (not the .local... folder as mentioned on the website, because then your shell starts to act funny whenever you're in root mode), reload the shell or log out and in, and then the extension appears in Advanced Settings under "Shell Extensions" as "gnome-shell-reflection Extension". Let me know if you still can't get it to work after doing that.
Bruce McL

Post by Bruce McL »

bimsebasse wrote:Got it working - move the downloaded "gnome-shell-reflection@emergya.com" folder to /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ (not the .local... folder as mentioned on the website, because then your shell starts to act funny whenever you're in root mode), reload the shell or log out and in, and then the extension appears in Advanced Settings under "Shell Extensions" as "gnome-shell-reflection Extension". Let me know if you still can't get it to work after doing that.
Thank you! That works for me as well. Very cool.

There is a tinted/colored area at the top of the screen though. Changing the shell theme changes the tint/color of this top area. I may take a look at the css and see if I can get rid of that. While I am in there, this extension also duplicates the function of the noa11y extension. I might as well remove that as well. Thanks again for the tip.
Tnt533

Post by Tnt533 »

Please, PLEASE figure out how to eliminate the tinted bar at the top. It is basically the bottom notification bar that is there by default in gnome shell. It got moved to the top when you moved the top panel to the bottom. I can't get it to go away. It auto-hides on mouse over and then reappears after moving the pointer off of it again for me.

It's driving me nuts. I just wish I knew CSS and Javascript so I could investigate this and find a solution.
Bruce McL

Post by Bruce McL »

Tnt533 wrote:Please, PLEASE figure out how to eliminate the tinted bar at the top. It is basically the bottom notification bar that is there by default in gnome shell. It got moved to the top when you moved the top panel to the bottom. I can't get it to go away. It auto-hides on mouse over and then reappears after moving the pointer off of it again for me.

It's driving me nuts. I just wish I knew CSS and Javascript so I could investigate this and find a solution.
I was able to get rid of the shaded area at the top of the screen, thanks to a tip from a user in another thread. The thread is called, "Get Classic mint desktop in Gnome Shell." There is a lot of good info there.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=85775

I have the following extensions turned off: Media Player, Smart Overview, Monitor Status, Bottom Panel, noa11y, Alt Tab, and Window List. With these extensions off, the shaded area goes away.

I'm not sure which extension is causing the problem. If you want to narrow down the list, it seems like a shutdown and restart is necessary. Logout and login may not be enough to see if the problem occurs or goes away.

UPDATE: This problem seems to come and go, no matter what extensions I enable. In some cases, going to the activities area and returning to the desktop is enough to get rid of the shaded area.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Take a look at THIS.
No more shadowed bar nor pop up messages at the upper bar, everything at the bottom!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

What am I missing here? I go to the link mentioned and I'm seeing just 3 individual files to download rather than a folder when I click on it. Do I download those 3 files to get the panel on bottom?
https://github.com/ahdiaz/gnome-shell-reflection
If that works as well as it sounds, I wonder why Mint didn't go this route.
KBD47
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

KBD47 wrote:What am I missing here? I go to the link mentioned and I'm seeing just 3 individual files to download rather than a folder when I click on it. Do I download those 3 files to get the panel on bottom?
https://github.com/ahdiaz/gnome-shell-reflection
If that works as well as it sounds, I wonder why Mint didn't go this route.
KBD47
Go here: https://github.com/ahdiaz/gnome-shell-r ... /downloads and download the .zip (or the .tar.gz, same folders, different compression) - complete instructions somewhere in the Get Classic Mint in Gnome Shell thread.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

KBD47 wrote:If that works as well as it sounds, I wonder why Mint didn't go this route.
KBD47
Well, maybe it can be polished, tested and added to the final release as an option.
It is working like a charm in my PC and after modding it a little you can get an experience very close to the original Gnome2 bottom bar.
ron1

Post by ron1 »

I think I am missing something in this thread. FIrst off, I cannot permanently get rid of that annoying semi-transparent bar that runs along the top. I have the top panel working on the bottom, but when I log in there is still that odd strip that runs along the top. If I go into the "activities" area by clicking the infinity sign and then go back to the desktop, then it goes away. If, however, I log out and then back in, it's back until I go back into the activities area and then back to the desktop. I can get rid of it, but its annoying to have to do this every time I log in. I have disabled and re-enabled every extension in a variety of different orders, logging out and back in each time, with the same result.

The second thing is simply this. Once you have the top panel on the bottom, can you not enable it to autohide? Did I miss somet, the available space is limiteng? If it doesn't autohide then isn't it better off being left on the top? Working on a laptop with limited screen space, having a panel that you can't hide doesn't really make sense to me.

I have to have missed something, but I cannot get rid of that shaded area at the top, nor does the panel, when moved to the bottom, autohide. Am I that dense?

Ron
Bruce McL

Post by Bruce McL »

ron1 wrote:I have to have missed something, but I cannot get rid of that shaded area at the top, nor does the panel, when moved to the bottom, autohide.
To fix the shaded area, some editing of one of the files is necessary. See this post for details:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p496616

I don't know about the audohiding. Are you saying the autohide extension below doesn't work after the bar is moved? I will try it and see.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=85427

Edit: This extension does not work properly when the bar is at the bottom. When the bar is hidden, one horizontal line is left wher the top of the bar was. The only way to unhide the bar is to put the cursor on that one horizontal line. Looks like this extension needs some modifying to work at the bottom.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

ron1 wrote:I have to have missed something, but I cannot get rid of that shaded area at the top, nor does the panel, when moved to the bottom, autohide. Am I that dense?
If you follow the steps at that post you will end with this:
(Click to see full image)

As you can see, there is no shaded area. Even better, that modding makes the system tray ("message tray" in Gnome language) pop up from the bottom righ corner, not the upper left!!! (plug a pendrive, insert a dvd or make something that triggers a message at system tray and you will see).

Now about autohidding the bottom bar. The original autohide extension was created for the the top bar in its original position. Let me study the code a little and I'm sure we can mod it to hide the bottom bar the way we want.
rhY

Re: [Solved] LM 12 move top bar to bottom

Post by rhY »

This is how it should be out of the box. Why the hell isn't this being implemented ASAP as part of a new RC before the final release? What's the bloody hurry? Get it right and don't lose a whole army of users by following Ubuntu down the Unity path nobody wants to go down.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Yes...that looks great...i hope Clem takes a look at this before the final release...i wonder if one of the moderators might direct this to his attention to read and check out the screenshot...i am sure most of us here would love to have that in the final (as the default setting)... :)
And it has a nice transparency to it too :wink:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

+1 for making this the default in Mint 12 release.
addegsson

Post by addegsson »

This is exactly how I want my Linux Mint 12 to look like. Prehaps you can release an custom .iso with these modifications, I'll tell you it's much more "mint" than MSGE. :)
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Update:

Please, use THIS to fix the problem with the menu not showing when you right click a window button at the task bar.

Take a look at this:
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I did everything listed above and have it at the bottom but it isn't all the way to the bottom. Can the panel be widened?
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

z06gal wrote:I did everything listed above and have it at the bottom but it isn't all the way to the bottom. Can the panel be widened?
Sorry (I only speak Spanish), what do you mean with "all the way to the bottom"?
Perhaps something like a "gap" between the panel and the screen border?
Can you post a screen capture?

I think that problem could be introduced by the "shell theme", not the reflection extension, because themes were originally designed to work with the panel at the top side of the screen (people didn't know at that moment that the panel can be moved to the bottom).

This is what happens with the "ANewStart" shell theme:

As I said before, this is a problem of the theme, not the reflection extension.
Try other shell theme (I love "Minty" theme, and "Dark shine").
Last edited by esteban1uy on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Software & Applications”