Firefox Google Search Mint plugin

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JayArby

Firefox Google Search Mint plugin

Post by JayArby »

Hi,

I've just started using Mint. Loving it, but the Firefox google search plugin is driving me crazy (the search box in the upper right corner). I don't want that mint page to come up. I want google. How can I set the search engine to go directly to google and not scrape the results into that mint webpage? I have searched in addons, and I can't find the plain google search plugin.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
soccerz619

Re: Firefox Google Search Mint plugin

Post by soccerz619 »

Disable the add-on. OR, follow this: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/chan ... 8/#address

Also, have a look at using duckduckgo.com instead of Google. OpenSource, doesn't track you, and will be used in Mint12! Let me know how it works for ya
JayArby

Post by JayArby »

I already disabled the addon. That had no effect. However, I will try your other solution
JayArby

Post by JayArby »

I did finally get it working using the link you mentioned. Thank you.

However, now the wrong icon shows up (annoying) and that was way, way, way too hard. I doubt I am the only one who does not like mint's odd revamp of the google search results. This should be optional, or better yet, removed completely. Google's layout it much better. Why mess with such a great interface? Just my suggestion to the mint developers.
JayArby

Post by JayArby »

I tried duckduckgo, but it is frankly nowhere near as powerful as Google. Also it is not integrated with Google+, Gmail, etc. And I don't really object to being tracked. But I can understand how some people might.
soccerz619

Post by soccerz619 »

Re: How To Remove Linux Mint Custom Google Search in Firefox

Postby Husse on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:26 am
Well it's been said above but the custom search generates income to Mint - in fact it is probably the largest source of income, so much so that no custom search = no Mint - we probably can't afford the servers we have in that case
Some servers are sponsored and we are grateful for that
I can't understand the big fuzz about this - and I can tell you that I use Google a lot

from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=39623

That is why it was like that. They are changing from it though in Mint 12 http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_lisa_whatsnew.php#search
JayArby

Post by JayArby »

Makes sense, but how does that mint page "generate income?" just curious.
JayArby

Post by JayArby »

The new default search engine is Duck Duck Go. It doesn't show different results depending on who's making the search, it doesn't track or record user information, it provides you with optmized results
Also, just wanted to point a couple things out: When different people search for the same things, they often want different results. That's why google works that way. It records information so that it knows what kinds of things you want, rather than generically treating everyone as though they all had the same interests.

Just my two cents worth. :)
soccerz619

Post by soccerz619 »

I just tried to look and I don't know. Probably the ads on the side. Also, you think it's not as powerful but did you have a look at the Bang Syntax or the goodies section ?
JayArby

Post by JayArby »

Those feature do look pretty cool, I must admit.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

JayArby wrote:I tried duckduckgo, but it is frankly nowhere near as powerful as Google. Also it is not integrated with Google+, Gmail, etc. And I don't really object to being tracked. But I can understand how some people might.
Really want to like duckduckgo but I find it gives about half as useful search results as google every single search. They may be the good guys, but their product isn't on par (IMO). Bit dangerous for a distro like Mint to disable default google search and appearance altogether as that is bound to annoy a lot of newcomers and possibly make them quickly return to Ubuntu/Windows where they have the freedom to choose for themselves.
Last edited by bimsebasse on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayArby

Post by JayArby »

^agreed. I stick to my former suggestion that mint developers face the fact the Google is the most powerful search engine in the world. It is also the most tried and tested and has the largest databases. I know how much we all want to be really purist about open source and all that, but I really don't see any practical point in competing with Google, at least not at this point. Maybe if duckduckgo eventually becomes amazing then it would make sense.
soccerz619

Post by soccerz619 »

Bit dangerous for a distro like Mint to disable default google search and appearance altogether as that is bound to annoy a lot of newcomers
In all fairness, this thread was started because a newcomer to Mint didn't like the default search, which was still Google.
People can always change it back. I don't see using an OpenSource, more secure (due to less tracking etc.) search engine is going to turn people away from Linux to Windows, since a lot of people come to it to try out OpenSource/better security. As for turning to Ubuntu, a lot people are coming from Ubuntu to Mint, and it has nothing to do with the search engine. A search engine is an easy thing to change. The Unity desktop that Ubuntu has (a core part of the OS package, not a small feature of A browser will change that. Plus, Mint 12 is coming with so many window managers and features that people will stick with it, I think.
JayArby

Post by JayArby »

A search engine is an easy thing to change.
It should be. And if it was, then it would really be no problem for mint to use a different default engine. But it currently is not easy to change. It took me a good half-hour to figure out how to get my google search box back, and it still isn't just the same as it is supposed to be. It should have been about three clicks. That said, in the new features section of mint, it was mentioned that it will be made very easy to change the default search engine. If this becomes fact, then changing the default search engine away from google won't really be an issue.
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

The Mint-branded search engine made my fiance want her Windows back. Not having the selection of Images or Shopping readily available was a deal-breaker for her. I removed the included Google search engine, added Google SSH and moved it to the top of the list. Everything's good now.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Thanks a lot Kevin108!! Google SSH really worked!!
soccerz619

Post by soccerz619 »

Kevin108 wrote:The Mint-branded search engine made my fiance want her Windows back. Not having the selection of Images or Shopping readily available was a deal-breaker for her. I removed the included Google search engine, added Google SSH and moved it to the top of the list. Everything's good now.
If you use the ! funtion of DuckDuckGo it will use the SSH to search Google (!g) Google Image (!i) etc. For a full list: https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html

Return to “Beginner Questions”