Newbie getting to grips with Mint .... various questions.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nige

Newbie getting to grips with Mint .... various questions.

Post by nige »

So I am just starting this new journey with Mint 11. And so far pretty pleased. I am no geek and I guess the phrase 'keep it simple stupid' could apply to me.
However I have several questions, and won't post them all here in one post. I installed Mint after Windows completely crashed on my lap top. So I installed Mint as 'main tenant'. Install was easy, and no issues. My intention for this lap top is to use it solely for photography, nothing to sophisticated, I might add. So it will not be cluttered with loads of aps'.
WINE. ?
I downloaded wine from software ctr. I have checked in 'package manager' and have, Wine 1.2.2 / Winetricks / Wine 1.2 / Wine 1.2 gecko.
1. Are these all the Wine packages I need for Wine to run Windows applications. ?

2. I have tried to install software for my Nikon, 'Nikon Software Suite' from my Nikon disk, ( includes Nikon Transfer and Nikon View ), however it will not allow me to run, and it will not allow me to change permissions ......... How do I get to Mint + wine to run and install my Nikon software. ?

Further questions to follow in more posts, .... I'm sure.

Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Angtagapagligt

Re: Newbie getting to grips with Mint .... various questions

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Hey,

welcome to Linux :).

I don't like wine. I would advise you to look for alternatives for your windows software (there are several alternatives ... I'm sure!).

If you can't get rid of your windows software you should install windows in a virtualbox (www.virtualbox.org). Make sure you install the latest version from the website (not from the repository cause it's outdated!).

So long

Angtagapagligt
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

nige wrote: WINE. ?
I downloaded wine from software ctr. I have checked in 'package manager' and have, Wine 1.2.2 / Winetricks / Wine 1.2 / Wine 1.2 gecko.
1. Are these all the Wine packages I need for Wine to run Windows applications. ?

Cheers.
Did you opened synaptic package manager or software manager.

Synaptic is more powerful, but preferred by intermediate users. For end users and beginners like us, software center is more user friendly than synaptic.

Open software center and type wine. It should display the most recent version. However, it is always recommended to install latest version, as wine improves windows compatibility and supports more softwares. I have mint 9, so cannot check software center. If things are working fine, no need to install wine tricks, even though I have installed it. I have not faced any problems. some even prefer to install 'playonlinux'.

Edit: Just install wine1.3 and not dgb or .dev (dev is for developers)
soccerz619

Post by soccerz619 »

Do you need that software to get the pictures off the camera? Mint automatically pulled photos off of a camera I attached to it, and I didn't have to use Wine or install any drivers etc.
nige

Post by nige »

OK, well seems I can import no problem without the Nikon software, so that panic over. Would still like to have the ability to use some windows progs.
So will address this further later.

Next is to install a good HDR photo program.
I have Gimp, ( but not true HDR), have installed Qtpfsgui, ( which is not great ). So now I am trying to install Luminance. Here's the dumb bit; I have downloaded it, so it is in downloads, but cant seem to install. Should I, key - 'open with' - 'atorun prompt' ???

Cheers.
soccerz619

Post by soccerz619 »

What is downloaded as? tar.gz, .deb, something else?
nige

Post by nige »

It is a tar.gz. I understand I have to extract first, so just need idiot guide to install and run.

Cheers.
soccerz619

Post by soccerz619 »

Hopefully this can help
nige

Post by nige »

Ok, sorry to be a pain. The link was helpful to a degree. So this is what I have done.
1. Right click on the luminance tar.gz icon and extacted.
2. Opened the new file (green icon) luinance hdr 2.1.0
3. From the file menu selected 'open in terminal'
4. Entered the command 'qmake' as instructed in the install file.

I then get this.
The program 'qmake' can be found in the following packages:
* qt3-dev-tools
*qt4-make
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected packages>

So not sure if I am on the right road. I did type in sudo apt-get install as a command and it asked for my sudo password ??????????

Cheers.
soccerz619

Post by soccerz619 »

try just make instead of qmake
nige

Post by nige »

Just comes back with;
No target specified and no make file found.

However, just got this advice on other post;
To enable these open Software Manager and in the Edit menu choose Software sources and in there goto the Other Software tab and tick the 2 lines that mention removed. Ok out then in the Software Manager search for luminance, it should now be there

Now this worked a treat, so have the program loaded. But it only gave me Luminance 2.0, and I wanted 2.1.0. I know thats being picky, but wanted the most upto date release.

Getting back to my original question, I still want to get to the bottom of how to install from terminal, the version I downloaded, as this is a learning process.
So any other suggestion.
Am I right to go to downloads / open Luminance folder / go to file - select 'Open in Terminal' , - in order to enter the install command. ?

Cheers.
soccerz619

Post by soccerz619 »

Open Terminal and use the

Code: Select all

cd/home/Luminance folder
(or whatever the directory for it is) and then once you're in the unpacked Luminance folder, you should just be able to do

Code: Select all

./configure
 make
 make install
like that. See if that works
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Perhaps my experiences might help you a little: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning%20LXDE.html . It sometimes requires a little fooling around but as long as your hardware doesn't require a special Linux driver, you can usually get the software to work under Wine.

Return to “Beginner Questions”