How do I remove Linux Mint 11 from my computer?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ingridf

How do I remove Linux Mint 11 from my computer?

Post by ingridf »

I've installed Linux Mint 11 on my Acer Aspire Timeline 4810 TZ, but I can't get comfortable with it.
Tried to install Windows 7 back on the computer (booting from cd), but it can't use the partitions created by Linux. Can it be explained to me very carefully how to delete the partitions or uninstall mint?
I seem to be quite a Linuxdummie...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Anakinholland

Re: How do I remove Linux Mint 11 from my computer?

Post by Anakinholland »

ingridf wrote:I've installed Linux Mint 11 on my Acer Aspire Timeline 4810 TZ, but I can't get comfortable with it.
Tried to install Windows 7 back on the computer (booting from cd), but it can't use the partitions created by Linux. Can it be explained to me very carefully how to delete the partitions or uninstall mint?
I seem to be quite a Linuxdummie...
You're not a linuxdummie because you run into this snag. Windows just cannot read the language that Linux used to format the hard drive or partition. It's like giving somebody a Cyrillic manual when they only know the Latin alphabet :)

What you'll have to do is to reformat. Looking at this manual, when you get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" you will have to click "Drive options (advanced)", select the partition you installed Linux Mint to, and reformat it to NTFS.

Mind you, be very careful here if you have more stuff on the drive. A couple of miss-clicks can result in loss of all data!!

Good luck and too bad Linux didn't cut it for your.

Anakin
ingridf

Post by ingridf »

I tried this, and "Windows can't be installed on this harddiskarea. It has to be installed on a partition that is formatted as NTFS. The partition is unknown".

Only available option is to install a driver which can read/format/convert the linuxpartition. What kind of driver is that? Easybcd?
Anakinholland

Post by Anakinholland »

Don't you get either a Format or Delete option after you click "Drive options (advanced)"?

That error makes it sounds as if you click "next" to install windows on a partition that is formatted as (most likely) ext4.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Delete linux partitions and create NTFS partition(s). There are an advanced options on the bottom right.

ingridf

Post by ingridf »

Didn't realize I had to make a new partition...

Thanks for the help! I'm sorry too, that I couldn't make it with Linux :(

Return to “Installation & Boot”