{SOLVED} mint 9 and Nouveau

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
truexfan81

{SOLVED} mint 9 and Nouveau

Post by truexfan81 »

not sure if this is the right section for this but...

just wondering if its possible to install the Nouveau driver on mint 9 main x64?

i'm curious if it will allow me to enable the compiz effects without causing video tearing. i currently have the nvidia proprietary driver installed, and the only way to get rid of the video tearing issues was to turn all the effects off and disable compositing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
truexfan81

Re: mint 9 and Nouveau

Post by truexfan81 »

truexfan81 wrote:not sure if this is the right section for this but...

just wondering if its possible to install the Nouveau driver on mint 9 main x64?

i'm curious if it will allow me to enable the compiz effects without causing video tearing. i currently have the nvidia proprietary driver installed, and the only way to get rid of the video tearing issues was to turn all the effects off and disable compositing.
bump bump bump...

8hours later... 15 views and no response

"anybody?...anybody?... Bueller?" :lol:

quote from Ferris Bueller's day off
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

bump 2 days later...
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

2 days later, and you still haven't provided any graphics hardware information.
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

richyrich wrote:2 days later, and you still haven't provided any graphics hardware information.
good point, i have been a member of the forum long enough i should know that. :lol:

What i know off the top of my head is the card is a geforce 9500GT 512MB pcie x16

if more information is needed please ask and provide the appropriate terminal commands and i will be happy to post the results

thanks
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Nouveau 2D will be there when you uninstall nvidia's driver. But to get 3D working you have to compile a lot manually and that's not very easy. The latest Nouveau code also depends on a newer libdrm version which is only in Mint 12 and the old Nouveau code from the Mint 9 days wasn't yet in very good shape.

The easiest way to get it working is to upgrade to Mint 12 which has Nouveau working fine out-of-the-box.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

i think i will just use the proprietary driver for now and wait for the combination of the release of mint 13, and mint 9 reaching end of life before i change operating systems.

looks like i can't run the effects anyway. I run seperate x screens, when i enable the effects everything goes crazy on the 2nd screen, panels disappear, windows will not maximize/minimize correctly, and it really gets weird when i try to change workspaces on the 2nd monitor.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You cannot use any effects with seperate X screens. You need TwinView or Nouveau when you use multiple monitors and want to use effects or 3D.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

AlbertP wrote:You cannot use any effects with seperate X screens. You need TwinView or Nouveau when you use multiple monitors and want to use effects or 3D.
ok so either way i go about it i have to choose between effects or no video tearing. considering the main thing i use the pc for is downloading and watching video i guess i choose the no video tearing option.

thanks

i guess we can call this one solved

Return to “Beginner Questions”