LMDE & KDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dry Lips

LMDE & KDE?

Post by Dry Lips »

Hi I've tried to install Debian Testing + KDE to one of the partitions on my computer,
but I'm having some problems that I think is because the weekly images are broken...
See here if you want details.
I wonder if it is possible to install LMDE Xfce, and the remove Xfce completely and install
KDE manually afterwards?

How would you do that? Is it recommended or something to avoid? Any good advice? Would the
mint tools work as supposed in a KDE environment?

Cheers,
Dry Lips
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LMDE & KDE?

Post by dritzominous »

Sure, you'll just have to select which environment you want to boot up in from the login menu. (It's a little drop-down box, you'll see it if you look hard enough.)

What are you waiting for? Get movin! :lol:
Lendo

Post by Lendo »

I don't think removing Xfce is needed. You could just install KDE from Synaptic and then chooce it at login. That way if you get sick of it, you can just log back into Xfce.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

Hi guys, thanks for answering... I've installed LMDE Xfce, but I wanted to have sort of a streamlined
KDE-only system with as little bloat as possible... You'll have two different sets of applications installed,
both Xfce-apps plus the KDE ones, right ? And should I install KDE-full or KDE-standard? The reason why
I installed LMDE Xfce is just because I had difficulties with the Debian installer, and had to install Mint LMDE
instead of regular Debian...

Isn't there a metapackage that I just can remove, or something? (Or am I still thinking the Ubuntu way?)

Cheers,
Dry Lips
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi,
one of your questions is easy to answer :D apt-get install kde-standard
will give you a minimal functional kde desktop, and you can then build the rest on top of it;

the removal part is always a bit tricky, you might get to excited and remove too much :lol:
but there are a few safe approaches:
- lets say you install amarok, you can remove all (if you want) the others music-players, and the same principle for any other app;
just take things more careful removing core lib (at least look twice at the dep that would be unistalled as well - or you might get a unpleasant surprise)

final note: if i recall correctly, last time i did it, with kde-standard also came kdm and is just a matter of choosing it as default login manager (you will be prompt with that question at install time) and you have a more integrated experience.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

zerozero wrote:hi,
will give you a minimal functional kde desktop, and you can then build the rest on top of it;

the removal part is always a bit tricky, you might get to excited and remove too much :lol:
but there are a few safe approaches:
- lets say you install amarok, you can remove all (if you want) the others music-players, and the same principle for any other app;
just take things more careful removing core lib (at least look twice at the dep that would be unistalled as well - or you might get a unpleasant surprise)

final note: if i recall correctly, last time i did it, with kde-standard also came kdm and is just a matter of choosing it as default login manager (you will be prompt with that question at install time) and you have a more integrated experience.
Okay, thanks for good advice! :D I think I read somewhere that there was eventually going to be
a KDE version of LMDE. Anyone who knows if there have been any progress on this project lately?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

probably the last thing you read (same as me) was this
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

zerozero wrote:hi,
Now I've tried this twice. First I thought this error was because I've removed too much from the base Xfce-system,
but I get this error message after trying to install kde-standard from a new, clean installation as well:
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kde-standard : Depends: dragonplayer (>= 4:4.6.3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

that's strange :shock: it's a fresh install (latest repos then) have you done this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=82346 before update and try to install kde-standard?
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

zerozero wrote:that's strange :shock: it's a fresh install (latest repos then) have you done this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=82346 before update and try to install kde-standard?
No, I haven't touched anything yet, I haven't even done an update? Should I change my
sources.list the way it was described in the post you linked to? And the ISO was downloaded
just a couple of days ago... :?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ahh, yes, basically doing that you ensure that multimedia, security and the main debian repo are in sync under the mint mirror, otherwise the way your repos are atm only main debian is mirrored and multimedia and security are updating freely.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

zerozero wrote:ahh, yes, basically doing that you ensure that multimedia, security and the main debian repo are in sync under the mint mirror, otherwise the way your repos are atm only main debian is mirrored and multimedia and security are updating freely.
Ok, thanks! I'll check this out tomorrow and report back to this thread.
Right now it is way past bedtime, so I first and foremost need to set my
repos to "sleep" and update my weary head ;) G'night!
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

Adding the repos as outlined in the post you linked to, solved the issue! I was able to install KDE,
and then I removed all entries under "Xfce" in synaptic. I still have a few programs to remove,
but everything seem to work just fine so far. The only thing that bothers me is that Firefox
is really ugly, even after removing it and doing a reinstall...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Dry Lips,
terrible sorry for the late reply :oops:

yes, gtk integration is awful;
let's see if my memory helps here (my desktop is still packed away and here in the lappy i don't have that install)
- install Lxappearence (yeahh, i know, sounds weird, but it works), launch it trough krunner, and if for example you have QtCurve already installed it will allow you to choose it;

the good thing about QtCurve is its versatility -you can make it look whatever you want-> this is my sid install, with nouveau (so no prop. nvidia drivers in there) and QtCurve
http://ami6lukas.deviantart.com/#/d4df6wt
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

zerozero wrote:Dry Lips,
terrible sorry for the late reply :oops:

yes, gtk integration is awful;
let's see if my memory helps here (my desktop is still packed away and here in the lappy i don't have that install)
- install Lxappearence (yeahh, i know, sounds weird, but it works), launch it trough krunner, and if for example you have QtCurve already installed it will allow you to choose it;

the good thing about QtCurve is its versatility -you can make it look whatever you want-> this is my sid install, with nouveau (so no prop. nvidia drivers in there) and QtCurve
http://ami6lukas.deviantart.com/#/d4df6wt
That certainly made a difference! Thanks a lot for your suggestion! :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”