Best browser for Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Post by GoustiFruit »

Luckydog wrote:I like Firefox. Chrome/ium is a farily close second.
I don't like to use anything else because I can set up both of them to use custom mouse gestures(as far as I know you can't customize opera's gestures).
Then as far as I know you haven't looked very far: Opera's shortcuts - and mouse gestures - have been customizable from the beginning.
-> Ctrl+F12 -> Advanced -> Shortcuts -> and edit your mouse or keyboard shortcuts.
A quick search with your favorite engine returns this as the first link, it hasn't changed since then (2005): http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/add-modify-mouse-gesture
RETNUH

Post by RETNUH »

Let me clarify. They aren't as customizable as I would like. For example one of the gestures I use very often is right click plus drag left. that is how I go to the previous tab. I found no way to do that in opera.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Let me clarify: did you even bother to read the page I linked to you ?

To set your shortcut, select "GestureRight" in the mouse shortcuts and associate it with "Switch to previous page" action. Really that hard ? Really not as customizable as you would like ? Hmm... :|
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Gous, but he mentioned 'previous tab' not page, although I am not sure what he exactly means, btw :D
I don't use mouse gestures, IMHO, it's just a bit disturbing, I'll rather faster click on back button or click on each tab I wanna focus... ;)
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Tabs are named pages in latest Opera versions.

Mouse Gestures are very convenient, I sometimes find myself doing mouse gestures on other applications :-D Obviously it doesn't work ! It's way faster to do a "hold and left" mouse gesture anywhere on the browser than to find the 24x24 (or so) pixels button, position the mouse on it and click. But keyboard shortcuts are also better than gestures sometimes (for example I prefer to Ctrl+Tab or Ctrl+Shift+Tab over mouse up and left or mouse up and right to switch tabs).
RETNUH

Post by RETNUH »

GoustiFruit wrote:Tabs are named pages in latest Opera versions.
That, I did not realize.
Vella

Post by Vella »

Luckydog wrote:
GoustiFruit wrote:Tabs are named pages in latest Opera versions.
That, I did not realize.
:?: I have tabs, in the latest Opera... previous page would be the page in the same tab that you looked at before the one you are looking at now, no?
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

No, actions to navigate in history are named "Back" and "Forward".

Concerning the naming "tabs" vs "pages", maybe it is because I'm using a localized version of Opera !? Some actions are still named after tabs, like "Close private tabs" or "Close Tab group"...
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

I say Google Chrome, or Chromium if you can't install Chrome with the .deb installer. Opera's a close 2nd (it has many features), & Firefox is last. Although I used to be an avid Firefox fan, their constant upgrading causes some of my favorite extensions not to work. I'm not one of those who refuses change, but it's ridiculous how FF upgrades so often. It's well documented, that FF is slipping in the ranks, on all OS's that it runs on.

What started me on Google, and I was once one of those who despised Google with a passion (privacy issues), was their totally, 100% Free phone calls in the US & Canada through their totally free email service. Being that I need to hold down my expenses as much as I can (I live on a disability check), this was really cool. I went on to discover Picasa, Google's photo suite, & really liked that. Finally, after much reluctance, I tried the Google Chrome browser. It's really fast!

Sure, you'll get some ads, but fortunately, there's an Adblock Plus just for Chrome. In fact, there's many extensions for the browser. I like the Panic Button & the Mini Maps apps. Everyone is different, I know, but I don't see how one can go wrong with Google Chrome (or Chromium). BTW, I really can't tell the difference from each other. One can import bookmarks, extensions & other settings, everything "just works" with both.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

My favorite is Firefox. Opera is my second. But opera slower in Linux if compare it running in MS Windows.
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

mank_in wrote:My favorite is Firefox. Opera is my second. But opera slower in Linux if compare it running in MS Windows.
Opera has a "Turbo" setting, I've used it on XP, but haven't on Mint or Ubuntu. If that feature is available in Linux's version of Opera, it's worth checking out. That is, if speed is the only issue that holding you back from using Opera.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
Vella

Post by Vella »

catilley1092 wrote: Opera has a "Turbo" setting
oh no, turbo setting just crushes the computer. I tried it on slow computer and normal with a faint wirless connection, crushed - going 100x turbo )))
there must be reason why it is slow, but it is not linux. it is fast for me (and firefox is slow). epiphany is fast too, but I can't figure anything about it, like how to add plugins or such (not that I need to use it anyway).
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Opera turbo cannot use in my dial up connection ( 15KB/S) , maybe because I am always use Open DNS?
For the guys who use 1MB/s connection up, all browser seem very fast. But with my connection opera loading page slower from Firefox. Very sad I cannot afford for better connection. :(
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Vella wrote:
catilley1092 wrote: Opera has a "Turbo" setting
oh no, turbo setting just crushes the computer. I tried it on slow computer and normal with a faint wirless connection, crushed - going 100x turbo )))
there must be reason why it is slow, but it is not linux. it is fast for me (and firefox is slow).
Personally, I never had some problem with Turbo in Opera. I built it as Automatic for it runs automatically when the connection, wired and wireless, was slow and everything worked well, at least in Fedora, Mageia and Windows 7 on desktops and a laptop.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

mank_in wrote:Opera turbo cannot use in my dial up connection ( 15KB/S) , maybe because I am always use Open DNS?
For the guys who use 1MB/s connection up, all browser seem very fast. But with my connection opera loading page slower from Firefox. Very sad I cannot afford for better connection. :(
Opera Turbo is specifically done for this kind of connections so this is not the problem; and Opera Turbo uses Opera servers so I don't know if you DNS settings have any impact !?
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

@ GoustiFruit
The problem is I always forget to test opera turbo when i don't use open DNS. Ok, I will try Later. :)
In my beautiful country, The government thinking everybody is pervert and will doing illegal thing in the web. I even cannot open anonymouse.org if using normal dns provide by ISP. :mrgreen:
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

+mank_in: try to use Tor or TAILS aka Amnesia LiveCD distro (even in VirtualBox) or use 'mm3' add-on by Mozilla and use some free proxies...
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

@elisa
thank's for your suggestion . But i am quite happy with open DNS/ google DNS to break my country internet censorship.
I like Firefox because it have a lot of extension :)
heebakutty

Post by heebakutty »

yes sure google Chrome is the best browser, when i was using chrome, my internet browsing was running at a lighting speed, i even checked my speed
Scanmyspeed.com
and it was normal subscribed 5Mbps, i was using firefox which chocked my browsing capabilities .
But the only one advantage with firefox is that it has more add ons, which makes things much easier
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Google chrome seems like pretty fast.
But I usually use firefox ( have a lot add on ) .
For my experience in linux,
1. Google Chrome : Very fast, but some peoples with GMA 500 have problem with hardware acceleration.
I did not see option to turn off hardware acceleration. I am rarely using it.
2, Firefox . slower than chrome , but have a tons add on extension and very customize-able .
3. Opera . Very stable, but slower than firefox and chrome

Return to “Chat about Linux”