mp3 players

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zezerbing

mp3 players

Post by zezerbing »

Hello. I'm looking for a player to use with linux/ open souce .i see a lot of people recommend Sandisk. but what about sony? I'm looking at the sansa clip 4 or the sony walkman. it will be used at work,mostly with music. I want something that will work with amazon,banshee, etc. Instead of itunes/ipod etc. Any problems with these players working with open souce etc? thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gagmani

Re: mp3 players

Post by gagmani »

Sony is good option.Ubuntu detects it as a Music player.But I am not 100 percent sure.I have not used a Walkman mp3 player for 1.5 years.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Here's an earlier thread on mp3 players:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... gg#p375933
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

If the device can be treated as a disk, or uses the MTC protocol, it will likely work..
--I used an older Cowon D2 (MTC (usb device) protocol, and supported Ogg-Vorbis music format..)), but that won't be everyone's choice
Linux 2.2 or higher (support only for data transfer).

MTP, originally only a windows OS support format..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol
VanR

Post by VanR »

My Sansa Fuze is switchable between MTP or MSC or it also has autodetect. That being said I find it works better on Windows 7 than Ubuntu.
Lanser

Post by Lanser »

The Korean players are generally the best bet.
Typically they play ogg and flac natively and have a healthy/creative disrespect for DRM.
iRiver are good...or Cowon if you want a higher end DAC.

Lanser
Creecher

Post by Creecher »

Will Mint detect iPods if they have Rockbox installed?
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

Creecher wrote:Will Mint detect iPods if they have Rockbox installed?

Yes 9 and 10 do Have not tried on 11 and 12 :)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”