IBM Touchpad T41p - Cannot shutdown/Suspend

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
chesl73

IBM Touchpad T41p - Cannot shutdown/Suspend

Post by chesl73 »

Hi all,
Recently installed Linux Mint 11 and all going well except that if I click 'Quit - Shutdown' the laptop looks like it's going to but then just sits there. I can see some stuff on the screen such as:
Stopping early crytop disks...
Deconfiguring network interfaces...
Deactivating swap...
Unmounting weak filesystems...

and it just sits there at this spot.

Also, if I try 'Quit - Suspend' (which is what I'd really like to get working) I just get a blank screensaver and it locks my screen. That's it.

In the past I've had Ubuntu on this and I had issues with suspend and from what I remember they were fixed by modifying the grub file and adding
nomodeset acpi=off to the cmdline but his hasn't worked on this occasion.

Any ideas at what might be causing this/these issues and how I can address them?

Thank
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
timbo

Re: IBM Touchpad T41p - Cannot shutdown/Suspend

Post by timbo »

On my x220i shutdown is an issue too. I cannot even shut the laptop down using the terminal as it will always hang at some point during the process. Suspend is not working either.
chesl73

Post by chesl73 »

Anyone? Not a single suggestion?
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

Use synaptic to see if you have kexec-tools installed. If so, remove it. It won't help with suspend, but might help with shutdown.
timbo

Post by timbo »

Definitely not the source of my problem as the package is not installed.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

Have you installed one of the latest kernels? I've used 2.6.39bpo (from squeeze backports) and 3.0/3.1 Liquorix kernels with my X220 and have no problems in this respect. (only some power saving tweaks needed)

Perhaps you should try boot parameter "noapic". If it helps a BIOS update may cure the problems.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
timbo

Post by timbo »

I had the latest kernel installed and the bios version was 1.24. However I gave up on it and did a reinstall. (Squeeze netinstall with LMDE sources. Runs nicely and only has exactly what I want it to have =).

Shutdowns work so far.
timbo

Post by timbo »

I solved my problem!

After setting up a fresh system, the shutdown problems appeared again.

I am running Debian Xfce and initially I used slim desktop manager. Now there seems to be a problem with consolekit (in recent Xfce) when slim or xdm are used, whereas this problem apparently does not occur with lightdm, gdm or kdm.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=115507 is one of the threads on this issue.

What helped me, was to install lightdm and purge and completely remove slim.

Now (so far) everything is fine!

Return to “LMDE Archive”