how to compiz in mint 12

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
podagee

how to compiz in mint 12

Post by podagee »

mint 12 compiz effects

to get this go to software center and install cairo-dock core.
(if you dont want the dock in your current desktop just add cairo-dock-core,dont activate,just log out and it should be on the desktop selections.)

now log out and click the icon from where it lets you choose your desktop(cog wheel) and you should see an option for cairo-dock(gnome+effects) log into it.

now you can install compiz and your favorite effects.

do not use the compositer which is in the dock.it breaks and you have to log out and back in.
to log out and back in press together Alt+PrntScrn+K

also you will have no panels.
here is a short video i made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29AW5HZN904
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
podagee

Re: how to compiz in mint 12

Post by podagee »

if you can find out how to add panels please be sure to post thanks
Last edited by podagee on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Thanks for that. I had not even thought about compiz but now have it going. :wink:
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Ok podagee, help a sister out. Lol...the one thing I can't seem to figure out is how to get the update indicator working with the cairo dock? I have both notification and notification old ticked but I do not see it in the "system tray" type setting on the dock itself. Do you have that going? :wink:

Robin
podagee

Post by podagee »

sorry robin i dont.i just use it to playaround in.it is still young so im sure eventually there will be a problem fix.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

No worries podagee. If I tick the notification old, the update manager shows on the bottom right of the screen on the desktop but will not allow me to move it and there is no left/right click to give me the option of moving it back to the dock. I think it is a bug so I'll just give it some time. Thanks for your help though. :wink: By the way, my husband is from Hawaii - Oahu. We haven't been back since his parents passed but it is the prettiest place I have ever seen.
podagee

Post by podagee »

yeah z06gal give it some time things will eventually work out.im gonna try and figure out how to place a panel.if we could get a panel enabled in there then all the notifications should be there.i just left oahu and im back on mauui.hawaii is beautiful its something us locals take for granted.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”