Mint Position Changed on DistroWatch

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Mint Position Changed on DistroWatch

Post by tdockery97 »

Been watching the Major Distributions link on the DistroWatch homepage lately. They finally moved the Mint info page up above the Ubuntu page. :mrgreen:

In addition, the screenshot shown below the description of Mint is Mint 12.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Kilz

Re: Mint Position Changed on DistroWatch

Post by Kilz »

Not a real shock as Ubuntu is no longer listening to its users in any way shape or form. Its now a bannable offense to complain about Unity on its forums, they call it unity trolling now.
What is shocking imho is looking at the last 30 days results, over 5k hits on Mint, thats way above everyone. Just goes to show that listening to people is the way to go.
ilovelinux

Post by ilovelinux »

Kilz wrote:Not a real shock as Ubuntu is no longer listening to its users in any way shape or form. Its now a bannable offense to complain about Unity on its forums, they call it unity trolling now.
What is shocking imho is looking at the last 30 days results, over 5k hits on Mint, thats way above everyone. Just goes to show that listening to people is the way to go.
I left Ubuntu yesterday, and as well had my account at Ubuntu Forums closed after a huge infraction for "Unity Trolling", simply because I agreed with someone else that not liking Unity = good taste. LM10 is like a breathe of fresh air, it works so amazingly well.

I congratulate Mint on the #1 spot @ DistroWatch Major Distros list, and I look forward to seeing Mint there for a really long time. I'm not really sure what the hell Shuttleworth is thinking, but it appears he is violating the very fabric of the open source world...freedom. Yes I know one could install a different DE, but why should we have to?

Hell, even Microsoft listens to it's customers.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

I'm an avid and regular reader of MicroMart magazine in the UK, and recently their coverage of "Must have" linux has all been Mint rather than Ubuntu. Don't suppose that will hurt, either :)
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

Kilz wrote:Not a real shock as Ubuntu is no longer listening to its users in any way shape or form. Its now a bannable offense to complain about Unity on its forums, they call it unity trolling now.
seriously? they ban you now if you post dont like unity?

wow no wonder *buntu is in trouble.
ilovelinux

Post by ilovelinux »

w2ibc wrote:seriously? they ban you now if you post dont like unity?

Pretty much saying anything that is deemed anti-Unity or deemed "Unity trolling" gets you either; a) huge infraction points b) huge infraction points that gets your account automatically banned or c) instant ban right away.
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

ilovelinux wrote:

Pretty much saying anything that is deemed anti-Unity or deemed "Unity trolling" gets you either; a) huge infraction points b) huge infraction points that gets your account automatically banned or c) instant ban right away.
I know this may sound wierd.. but that is something id expect Microsoft or Apple to do. Not a linux distro.

I mean seriously. If i make a product (free or pay) and I have a large majority of my userbase telling me "Hey this sucks big time" the smartest thing for me to do is listen, ask ok why dose it suck? what would you change with it? ect ect.
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

w2ibc wrote: I know this may sound wierd.. but that is something id expect Microsoft or Apple to do. Not a linux distro.

I mean seriously. If i make a product (free or pay) and I have a large majority of my userbase telling me "Hey this sucks big time" the smartest thing for me to do is listen, ask ok why dose it suck? what would you change with it? ect ect.
The problem is that Ubuntu is a commercial distro. Its owned by Canonical, and Mark Shuttleworth has the last say. When he decides things the underlings enforce it. I noticed the trend originally when edgy eft was released, but it wast that noticeable because it was only the delay of the multiarch spec.
I also think that the development and the forums are disconnected and those in charge have had absolute power for to long, and we know what happens when there is absolute power right? corruption. Now its no longer ok to speak out about problems with design, if you go to the resolution center you are told to shut up or be banned. What they want is anyone that doesnt go along to leave, well they arnt like Microsoft with a hold down on Windows, this is linux so lots of people left. Sadly the ones that are leaving are the ones they can least afford to loose, the ones that have been around and know how to fix things and work around issues.
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

Kilz wrote:
w2ibc wrote: I know this may sound wierd.. but that is something id expect Microsoft or Apple to do. Not a linux distro.

The problem is that Ubuntu is a commercial distro. Its owned by Canonical, and Mark Shuttleworth has the last say. When he decides things the underlings enforce it. I noticed the trend originally when edgy eft was released, but it wast that noticeable because it was only the delay of the multiarch spec.
I also think that the development and the forums are disconnected and those in charge have had absolute power for to long, and we know what happens when there is absolute power right? corruption. Now its no longer ok to speak out about problems with design, if you go to the resolution center you are told to shut up or be banned. What they want is anyone that doesnt go along to leave, well they arnt like Microsoft with a hold down on Windows, this is linux so lots of people left. Sadly the ones that are leaving are the ones they can least afford to loose, the ones that have been around and know how to fix things and work around issues.
even looking at it as a commercial enterprise. user input is key. the enterprise needs to listen to the users. if they dont they suffer.

I remember someone I knew who had a business he told me "the customer is always right" (of course with in reason) if someone was not happy with the product. he could ether listen to the customer about the problems he/she has and try and fix them, or tell them to pound sand.. he knew if he told them to pound sand he would lose a customer, who in return would tell others don't go to his place. end result he suffers.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I have no problem with Ubuntu, but one thing I have noticed since going Mint is that this distro is all about pleasing the userbase and the same thing cannot really be said about Ubuntu. Compare the effort gone into making Gnome Shell unalienating with dumping Unity on your long time users because that's where Canonical wanted to go. Both approaches have their strengths (Mint is probably not gonna spearhead any innovations) and I'm sure it benefits both Mint and Ubuntu that the profiles and aspirations are so different, otherwise there wouldn't be much other than the colours green and orange to set them apart.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Distrowatch forgot Mint also has a LXDE edition.
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

ilovelinux wrote:

My posts on UNITY have been deleted on Shutleworth's blog. I hope Mint sees fit to do a Mint DE with Gnome3 and the MGSE user interface. Over the past 7 days Mint is 3.78 x's more popular than Ubuntu's Unity based on Distrowatch's numbers.
ilovelinux

Post by ilovelinux »

Joe_Linux wrote:I hope Mint sees fit to do a Mint DE with Gnome3 and the MGSE user interface.
They have, it's called Mint 12 "Lisa". :D
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Kudos to Clem and the entire Mint team for a job well done... Not only with Mint 12 Lisa but with Mint in general - It is a well thought out and executed user-centric distro. I first started occasionally using Mint 7 Gloria as a dual boot on a WinXP netbook testbed... I was looking for a Win desktop replacement OS as I have grown weary of all things Microsoft... Earlier this year, I switched to Mint (9 - Isadora) as the only OS on my laptop at home and at the office... My daughter (15y/o) and mother-in-law (77y/o) are also full-time Minters! At this point, my wife is the only Windows hold-out... If I can get WOW to run under Mint, she'll convert in a second as well! LOL!

As a fan & user of LTS versions, I wait with anxious anticipation for Mint 13. I am expecting it to be the new high watermark for Linux desktop systems for the next several years... :)

Keep up the good work Mint team... you guys are Mintastic! :D

- R -

P.S.: It's official - Mint now owns all 5 time slot brackets for 2011 at Distrowatch!
I was particularly impressed with the 7 day chart - Mint beat the next 4 places COMBINED!!!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

If I can get WOW to run under Mint, she'll convert in a second as well! LOL!
have you tried play on linux?
ilovelinux

Post by ilovelinux »

Reorx wrote:If I can get WOW to run under Mint, she'll convert in a second as well!
http://www.winehq.org/

8)
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I've tried WINE but have not been able to get WOW to load (you start the loader and it loads the program)... It seems to start loading and then freezes... I haven't done a lot to trouble-shoot the problem (yet)... "WOW under Linux" isn't a high priority project, her gaming laptop is relatively new and running reasonably well... When she is ready to get a new computer in about a year or so is when I will try to give her current machine a new lease on life by whipping Mint onto it...I am already getting her accustomed to Linux software though... she is using OpenOffice as her office suite, and Thunderbird as her e-mail client... She's still using IE though - DOH!

I haven't tried play on Linux yet... trying it is on my "to do list"... :D
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
ilovelinux

Post by ilovelinux »

Reorx wrote:I've tried WINE but have not been able to get WOW to load (you start the loader and it loads the program)... It seems to start loading and then freezes...
I'm sure if you post a support request about it here, people could help ya out on it. :)
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

Reorx wrote:
I haven't tried play on Linux yet... trying it is on my "to do list"... :D
If you like games that run on Windows I would put that at the top of the to do list. Go to the Playonlinux website to get the latest client.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”