Mint 12 Tips & Tricks Guide (updated Jan 10)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
schavery

Re: Mint 12 Tips & Tricks Guide (updated Nov 30)

Post by schavery »

Gnome login sound is not in my startup applications after running the sed command to display all apps. I looked in the /etc/xdg/autostart directory for the gnome-login-sound file, but its not there. I am 100% positive that I am running linux mint 12 x64.

Why would it not be present? Where else should I look?
bimsebasse

Re: Mint 12 Tips & Tricks Guide (updated Nov 30)

Post by bimsebasse »

Hmm, it should be there even before running the command.

Can you paste the contents of your libcanberra-login-sound.desktop file here?

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /usr/share/gnome/autostart/libcanberra-login-sound.desktop
rewyllys

Re: Mint 12 Tips & Tricks Guide (updated Dec 1)

Post by rewyllys »

What an excellent compilation!

Many, many thanks for pulling all those ideas together and, especially, for presenting them in such a clear and easily usable manner. :D
schavery

Post by schavery »

@bimsebasse

Thanks for your tip. I edited the file you pointed me towards, /usr/share/gnome/autostart/libcanberra-login-sound.desktop, and turned NoDisplay=true into NoDisplay=false.

Now it shows up in my startup applications list.

Thanks again!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

No worries, better include it in the tip if there are others who need this extra step
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

What a good thread! Thanks you very much. I used some tips very successfully (buttons to the left, extensions list, notification icon space, create a launcher and so on). I dare not yet move to the bottom panel though but I think about it... :D

I wonder if somebody thought about reinstalling the Up arrow Up in Nautilus ?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I have made the majority of these tweaks and everything is great except one issue = when I reboot or power up my desktop is black. I use a picture from my picture folder as my background and it doesn't keep it. I was just curious if that has occurred with anyone else. It is easy enough to reset but I thought I'd ask. Thanks :wink:

Robin
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

z06gal wrote:I have made the majority of these tweaks and everything is great except one issue = when I reboot or power up my desktop is black. I use a picture from my picture folder as my background and it doesn't keep it. I was just curious if that has occurred with anyone else. It is easy enough to reset but I thought I'd ask. Thanks :wink:

Robin
Not sure what has happened there - did you set you wallpaper using SystemSettings>Appearance>Background>Wallpapers and click the "+" button to "fetch" your wallpaper
I did that and mine doesn't disappear...
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

z06gal wrote:I have made the majority of these tweaks and everything is great except one issue = when I reboot or power up my desktop is black. I use a picture from my picture folder as my background and it doesn't keep it. I was just curious if that has occurred with anyone else. It is easy enough to reset but I thought I'd ask. Thanks :wink:

Robin
If you get black screen, one of two things have happened

1) wrong path
2) permissions need to be changed

if 2), right click on the image in your Pictures directory and under the permissions tab make sure "Others Access" is set to "read-only" and not to "none" (let me know if you still can't get it working after this.)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I checked that and it is set to read only. Thanks

Edit: I failed to mention something that may help = when I reboot and the screen is black, nothing happens on the desktop when I right click. I have to open the system settings and go to appearance to reset the background. The background will immediately show and then I get my right click back so it's like I am losing my desktop although my super button does work if I use it to get to applications. Thank you so much for your help.
Last edited by z06gal on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

and still not working? can you paste the contents of your unity-greeter.conf file here?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

bimsebasse wrote:and still not working? can you paste the contents of your unity-greeter.conf file here?

I edited my post above bim. You beat me with this post. Lol...my post above doesn't help, let me know where the unity-greeter.conf file is?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

that's the file opened using the command from the tip

but it sounds like your issues run deeper than a potential typo in the greeter.conf - not sure what has happened there :? The worst thing that can happen editing that one line in the greeter.conf is black login screen (wrong path or file without proper permissions) - right clicking on desktop etc. would still work.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

bimsebasse wrote:that's the file opened using the command from the tip

but it sounds like your issues run deeper than a potential typo in the greeter.conf - not sure what has happened there :? The worst thing that can happen editing that one line in the greeter.conf is black login screen (wrong path or file without proper permissions) - right clicking on desktop etc. would still work.

I am also running cairo dock and the image I have for its background stays so I'm not sure what has changed. Maybe it will fix itself in some update. Everything else is fine. I think I'll set the stock wallpaper and see what it does instead of using my pics folder. I do appreciate your help. :wink:
makecoldplayhistory

Post by makecoldplayhistory »

Awesome guide.

Thanks for taking the time to do it!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Thanks

No one has any fix requests or additions? Bit boring with just my tweaks :oops:
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hello

Yes. I do have a fix request. :D

In the shell, applications menu, I do not like the display of huge icons. Following your advice, I reduced it to 64px. However, now, the joint text is hardly readable. Is there a way to get a nice looking and readable display like in the second image?
(increasing place in css for the name of programs for example?)

Even with 118px icon-grid value, we have only one very short line to read the name of the program. We need in fact a lot more place to display the full name of many programs, specially in French...(look the second image). :D
This is BAD
This is GOOD enough
???
justinjohn

Post by justinjohn »

I went through a few of the steps in this guide, and suddenly I have 5x as many apps as I previously did, and its very disorganized...

screenshot: http://stuff.octorok.net/lotsaapps.png

plz HALP!!

=)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

justinjohn, the fix for that is in the guide already - see the duplicated icons entry.
Last edited by bimsebasse on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

roger64 wrote:Hello

Yes. I do have a fix request. :D

In the shell, applications menu, I do not like the display of huge icons. Following your advice, I reduced it to 64px. However, now, the joint text is hardly readable. Is there a way to get a nice looking and readable display like in the second image?
(increasing place in css for the name of programs for example?)
That was just an example that fit my widescreen - I'll look into what the best settings for smaller screens are.

Return to “Tutorials”