Synaptic Package Manager Issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Synaptic Package Manager Issue

Post by Husse »

What to do?
Well, it's spelled out to you - right?
And this is a consequence of your experiment.
Of course all such actions needs sudo.
The guide was from 2005 and you may easily have run into a "version conflict"
It's not a good idea to run apps for one version of Ubuntu and so Mint on another - it may be possible but it's not recommended
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

not quite
As I wrote
Of course all such actions needs sudo.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

here it is spelled out:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You could check out http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=geubuntu

Geubuntu is a mixture of E17 and Gnome. There will be a LinuxMint E17 Community Edition pretty soon. E17 is interesting.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

My experience is limited as far as E17 goes, but I think Debian's Elive E17 DE could be the best standard out there. They ask for a donation to download the live cd, but you can get an invitation as well - it's not that difficult see the website. And since they are currently in preparation for the next release (testing an alpha), it may be easier to get the invite.

I have Elive running on one of my triple boot machines to get practice and it's, as I said, a standard to compare other E17 DEs to (when I have time which is seldom). Note: I recently installed WoW on this DE (using Wine of course) and it was easy. :)
molom

Post by molom »

newW2 wrote:My experience is limited as far as E17 goes, but I think Debian's Elive E17 DE could be the best standard out there. They ask for a donation to download the live cd, but you can get an invitation as well - it's not that difficult see the website. And since they are currently in preparation for the next release (testing an alpha), it may be easier to get the invite.

I have Elive running on one of my triple boot machines to get practice and it's, as I said, a standard to compare other E17 DEs to (when I have time which is seldom). Note: I recently installed WoW on this DE (using Wine of course) and it was easy. :)
Elive is one of the worst e17 distros out there. There is no app to change the favourites menu, no autologin and its main control panel/control centre partially doesn't work and its unstable. Probably the next release will be a lot more stable than its so called 'Gem'. But for now, all it has is looks. But I can't blame the developer team, it only consists of one person and he is based it on debian, which means that he has made his one control centre.
I would rate all e17 distros like this Lowest to Hightest:
Elive
gOS
Geubuntu
OZOS
_______ ( Mint e17 is aiming here :D )
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

:shock: Well I did say: "My experience is limited". :lol:
Btw, this thread is headed out of scope ... based on the subject item.
molom

Post by molom »

newW2 wrote::shock: Well I did say: "My experience is limited". :lol:
Btw, this thread is headed out of scope ... based on the subject item.
Don't worry about it. I also found some distros amazing and then found they were pathetic, like Lindows/Linspire, Mandriva and Suse (Then again, its just my opinion).

Cheers,
molom

Return to “Beginner Questions”