Loss of compiz-fusion effects

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glas
Level 2
Level 2

Loss of compiz-fusion effects

Post by glas »

I've recently installed a new computer with Mint 10 main edition (the best Mint OS to date IMHO) and it's been working fine for a few days except I've noticed that the compiz-fusion effects I activated (desktop cube and wobbly windows) have stopped working - for no apparent reason. They are still checked in the Simple CompizConfig Setting Manager.

I boot up on the Mint 10 live CD and can activate the compiz-fusion effects with no problem. So it's not a hardware issue. It must have something to do with changes made when updating the system.

The graphic card is inbuilt to the motherboard (ASUS P5G41T-M LX2GBGBSI ASUSTeK Computer Inc.) and there are no special drivers needed to be installed.

Other specs:
Processor
* Intel Pentium Dual Core E5800 Processor 3.2Ghz
* 2MB Cache
Memory
* 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Hard Drive
* 1TB (1x1TB) SATA II

I have installed the 32 bit version Mint 10 Main Edition (despite the processor being 64 bit compatible) because I have never noticed any difference in performance between 32 and 64 bit editions and believe the older 32 bit version to be less buggy.

I assume there are other folks out there who have had similar problems - and hoping someone can pinpoint the problem and figure out an easy solution :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Loss of compiz-fusion effects

Post by richyrich »

Might help you troubleshoot:
It may be already installed, or you can install it via your preferred method. Then run it from the terminal. Anything noteworthy or look odd?
Named compiz-check in the Package Manager.
Compiz-Check is a script to test if your system/setup is able to run Compiz. It will also help you trace back the problems you may be facing and gives some troubleshooting tips.
Terminal command to run it:

Code: Select all

compiz-check
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If compiz-check complains about graphics card or driver, you can run this command to find out what driver is loaded:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
glas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glas »

Hi thanks for the terminal commands.

Tried them but none the wiser. It notes that 'there is no rendering method' but that can't be an issue because compiz-fusion can work on this system without installing any extra drivers.

As I noted before, the compiz-fusion effects work fine on the live CD and on first install. They only stop to function after a spell of use.

Here are the results of the commands:

mint@mint-MS-7592 ~ $ compiz-check

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution: Linux Mint 10
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_julia.php
Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
Driver in use: intel
Rendering method: None

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system... [SKIP]

Checking for hardware/setup problems... [SKIP]

At least one check had to be skipped:
Error: No rendering method in use (AIGLX, Xgl or Nvidia)

mint@mint-MS-7592 ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card Intel 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.9.0 Res: 1024x768@75.1hz
GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A
mint@mint-MS-7592 ~ $
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Might be something here:
http://wiki.compiz.org/Hardware/Intel

I'd like to suggest that you check to see if there are any xorg or any intel updates available for you. Log into the Mint Update Manager -> Edit -> Preferences -> Levels tab, and check only the Visible box for levels 4 and 5. Apply, close, and reload the Update Manager . . are there any new relevant updates available? If yes, you can choose to install them by adding a check to the side box.

good luck, richy
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The 3D driver is somehow borked as the GLX Renderer is N/A and not Mesa DRI Intel.

Perhaps you can reinstall libgl1-mesa-dri and libgl1-mesa-glx from Package Manager to get it working again. Also, make sure that there's no weird configuration in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if the file doesn't exist, don't care about this).

You can also add this PPA to get a more recent X.org driver: https://launchpad.net/~glasen/+archive/intel-driver
I'd like to know if this fixes things on Intel graphics hardware of the 4th generation as more people are having this problem. I don't have 4th generation Intel graphics myself in any computer.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
glas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glas »

Thanks for the ideas. Tried them all but no improvement.

I think I'll just have to learn to resist the temptation of updating a system when everything is working.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”