Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Post by Husse »

So you "looked in Synaptic" and updated/graded even programs mintUpdate classifies as a 4 or 5?
There is a reason for this, don't you think? You just found out why....
Among the updates mintUpdate does not recommend are updates to the kernel that may cause problems...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Installing new apps would not cause problems normally, but as you know (now :)) just about anything can happen with a computer...
Husse

Post by Husse »

And warn not to do a dist-upgrade - you get a mess far worse than you had...
desertViking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by desertViking »

paulstone wrote:
Using Synaptic to install new programs will not trash your system.
Once installed with Synaptic, will mintUpdate recognize updates to the new software?
Kind rgds,
dViking
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Integrity wrote:In the future you can roll back the kernel rather than reinstall. Also if you haven't already done so during install create 3 partitions /, swap and home. When you reinstall you will still have all of your documents, e-mails and stuff.
I would like to point out that as you are "new to all Linux" when you make these partitions, keep in mind that the way they should look in the partition editor is as follows
swap (logical)
/ (Primary(the root partition))
/home (Primary(the home partition))
the reason I posted this is because when I first started with Linux, I did not realize that you had to have the "/" before "home" to make it work, so I hosed many an install, and hosed just as many just doing newbie things like what you did, it happens and we have all done it, so don't feel like anyone is patronizing you, we are just pointing out that those warning levels are there for a reason, (I understand that they are not in Synaptic, and that you did not know to only use the Mint Update, but now you know, and knowing is half the battle. "G.I. JOE") they tell you how dangerous some files can be, and tell you not to install them unless you really know what you are doing.
iamclueless

Post by iamclueless »

McLovin wrote:
Integrity wrote:In the future you can roll back the kernel rather than reinstall. Also if you haven't already done so during install create 3 partitions /, swap and home. When you reinstall you will still have all of your documents, e-mails and stuff.
I would like to point out that as you are "new to all Linux" when you make these partitions, keep in mind that the way they should look in the partition editor is as follows
swap (logical)
/ (Primary(the root partition))
/home (Primary(the home partition))
the reason I posted this is because when I first started with Linux, I did not realize that you had to have the "/" before "home" to make it work, so I hosed many an install, and hosed just as many just doing newbie things like what you did, it happens and we have all done it, so don't feel like anyone is patronizing you, we are just pointing out that those warning levels are there for a reason, (I understand that they are not in Synaptic, and that you did not know to only use the Mint Update, but now you know, and knowing is half the battle. "G.I. JOE") they tell you how dangerous some files can be, and tell you not to install them unless you really know what you are doing.
just a quick question

why does ubuntu/mint/xubuntu... i imagine lots of distro create an extended partition and then put the swap partition in it??? so that you end up with 3 partitions after doing an install that uses the whole hard drive.

and out of curiousity... if i create a /home partition how well does it transfer to a different distribution? say going to mint from xubuntu etc.

thanks
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

that is the reason for making a seperate home partition, so you can keep all your files and basic settings. there are some folders in there that you would have to move/backup if you were to change distros, or upgrade to a newer version, but don't worry about that until it happens, when it does just post and people will help through that as well.

Return to “Beginner Questions”