LMDE Update Questions (SOLVED)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
robw

LMDE Update Questions (SOLVED)

Post by robw »

Hi Y'all

I've been with the Main Edition for about 3 years now but changed to LMDE with XFCE about 3 months ago. Update Pack 3 was incorporated at install and the updater is pointing at the correct LM repositories. Since install I have only had a single update, and that was Chrome which was not installed from the repos (thought it wasn't there). Is this normal? Seems a long time without an update but using a refreshed apt-get and dist-upgrade reports no updates either. Does LMDE update only when update packs are released?

Second question is about the update manager. I am aware it changed recently. If I've got UP3 am I using the new one? If so, is it OK to use for updates? I've seen other posts recommending apt. If I ever get an update I'll use either!! LMDE is rock solid so far - loving it! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: LMDE Update Questions

Post by richyrich »

If you don't want to wait on Mint's pre-testing and release of Update pack 4, then you will need to change which repositories you are tracking.

No need to repeat all of the replies, just check the similar posts right near the top of the recent Topics list in the link below, and read a few of the replies.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=185

good luck
robw

Post by robw »

Thanks Richyrich

Its not that I'm desperate for updates - the system is working beautifully and that's all I'm after, really. My concern is really with security. I use the system for online banking etc and its always been an article of faith that its important to keep the updates going to ensure security. I use Iceweasel for this and, given that we're at v5.0 with that, I guess I'm happy for now. I was just keen to ensure I hadn't done something wrong which might compromise what I had assumed was a fully secure system. I'm reassured and will wait with interest for UP4. Sorry if this was posted in the wrong section but I hadn't found the other posts despite searching - time is limited!

Thanks again.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Reading the whole thread can get confusing, so I have it set to start right at one of the solutions :

[SOLVED] how to update the repository's firefox package?
robw

Re: LMDE Update Questions (Solved)

Post by robw »

That's sorted it - thanks Richyrich! :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”