Installation problem (dual boot)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joehansen

Installation problem (dual boot)

Post by joehansen »

Hi I'm trying to install Mint in a dual boot environment.

Windows 7 was installed as the first operating system

I used this:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/06/11/du ... windows-7/ with Mint 11 64 bit

Hard disk shrink to half

I created

/boot sda5
swap sda6
/ sda7
/home sda8

choose to install on sda5 (to avoid messing with Windows and loose Mint if Windows was to be installed again).

And the installation starts. Everything seems to go okay and I'm asked to remove the DVD. The computer restarts and I go into Windows 7 and installs EasyBCD. Enter an entry for Mint. Restart and Windows Boot Manager starts op, and I can now choose Linux Mint

This brings up the grub, where I can choose normal, recovery etc.

I choose normal.

And then nothing happens (the hard disk is spinning, stops and then I just sit back with a grey screen, no error messages). Choose recovery -> same result

A new download with Mint 12 64-bit -> same result

A new download with Mint 12 32-bit -> now I get to login
But the left part of the screen is on the the right side of the screen (does this give any meaning?) and the other way around. The mouse can't move past the centre of the screen, but can leave the left and right side of the screen and get to the other part of the screen.
I can use my name and password and it seems to be working, and then again -> nothing happens.

The live DVD for all three versions works fine.

The Machine:
Intel Core i7 - 2600K, 3.40 GHz Quad Core processor
8 MB cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, HyperThreading samt unlocked multiplyer
8 GB DDR3 RAM,
ASUS Radeon HD 6670 grafikkort with 1 GB DDR5 RAM
1 TB hard disk, 7200 rpm, 64 MB cache

This is that the machine says at start up
Marvel 88SE91xx Adapter - BIOS version 1.0.0.0016
PCIe x1 5.0Gbps
Adapter 1 Disk information: AHCI Mode
No hard disk is detected!

(but the system seems to see the hard disk anyway)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sunewbie

Re: Installation problem (dual boot)

Post by sunewbie »

joehansen wrote:
/boot sda5
swap sda6
/ sda7
/home sda8

choose to install on sda5 (to avoid messing with Windows and loose Mint if Windows was to be installed again).

And the installation starts. Everything seems to go okay and I'm asked to remove the DVD. The computer restarts and I go into Windows 7 and installs EasyBCD. Enter an entry for Mint. Restart and Windows Boot Manager starts op, and I can now choose Linux Mint

This brings up the grub, where I can choose normal, recovery etc.

I choose normal.

And then nothing happens (the hard disk is spinning, stops and then I just sit back with a grey screen, no error messages). Choose recovery -> same result
I could not understand why did you go to windows and install Easy BCD, when GRUB was installed. There is no point in chain loading. I have no exp with EasyBCD, so I cannot help you, if it is a bootloader problem.

I dual booted Win XP and Mint 12 (inside virtualbox) to check out. After installation, when I was instructed to remove DVD, I did it and the system restarted with GRUB and NOT Easy BCD. I did not have any problem with it.

The article which you pointed out explains dual booting in case of 2 HDD, in your case, it is only one 1TB HDD.

There is no need to install /boot. I did not install and still my system is running.

When you have more than 4 GB RAM, you need to install PAE kernel to support RAM. PAE stands for Physical Memory Extension.

How much swap did you choose. You should only select 1 GB. for SWAP. Open Gparted and check it, if possible give screenshot, open Gparted and press print screen and save the image.
joehansen

Post by joehansen »

Hi and thanks for your reply, I have tried my best to answer your questions.
bye
Joe

I could not understand why did you go to windows and install Easy BCD, when GRUB was installed. There is no point in chain loading. I have no exp with EasyBCD, so I cannot help you, if it is a bootloader problem.

Can't boot if I don't, only Windows 7 is available, so I need a way to get to sda5 and grub there.

------
I dual booted Win XP and Mint 12 (inside virtualbox) to check out. After installation, when I was instructed to remove DVD, I did it and the system restarted with GRUB and NOT Easy BCD. I did not have any problem with it.

Don't know much about this, but I guess the problem is that you this way is tampering with the Windows partition. A change here (anti virus or Windows) might result in no access to Mint. Just following the tutorial.

-----
The article which you pointed out explains dual booting in case of 2 HDD, in your case, it is only one 1TB HDD.

No the article is about one HDD
the latest release of Linux Mint, and Windows 7 on a computer with one hard disk, this tutorial offers detailed instructions on how to accomplish the relatively simple task.

-----
There is no need to install /boot. I did not install and still my system is running.

My guess? You are tampering with the windows partition. The part which is disencouraged by this article: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/09/21/ti ... and-linux/
tip number four:

-----
When you have more than 4 GB RAM, you need to install PAE kernel to support RAM. PAE stands for Physical Memory Extension.

Can I do this after I have a working installation?

-----
How much swap did you choose. You should only select 1 GB. for SWAP. Open Gparted and check it, if possible give screenshot, open Gparted and press print screen and save the image.

I installed 8 GB.

the guide says
the second partition will be for Swap. About 2 GB or more is recommended. Select “swap area” from the “Use as” dropdown menu, then click OK.
a google search found others recommending twice the amount of ram

I have enough hard disk place so I just took 8 GB.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

joehansen wrote:
Can't boot if I don't, only Windows 7 is available, so I need a way to get to sda5 and grub there.
Don't know much about this, but I guess the problem is that you this way is tampering with the Windows partition. A change here (anti virus or Windows) might result in no access to Mint. Just following the tutorial.
Since you cannot load Mint 12, so things are a bit difficult for me.

For me this has never happened, infact, sometimes you cannot login to windows as windows requires to be installed in first partition, not the case with Linux. you can install it inside extended partitions.

You can restore GRUB after installing / reinstalling windows from LIVE CD / DVD.
No the article is about one HDD
the latest release of Linux Mint, and Windows 7 on a computer with one hard disk, this tutorial offers detailed instructions on how to accomplish the relatively simple task.

My guess? You are tampering with the windows partition. The part which is disencouraged by this article: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/09/21/ti ... and-linux/
tip number four:
OK. I re-read it, but still, the instructions. I am not a pro so I cannot give you technical explanation, but still, I do not much agree with him. I have not faced such problem. In past some had problem starting Linux, mostly due to graphic card driver issue like NVidia. Other than this guy, I do not remember anyone preferring windows BOOT loader.

I have dual booted Ubuntu 9.1, 10.04 LTS, Mint 9 on HDD and Mint 12 dual boot with XP inside virtualbox. I did not have this problem, nor did I have to reinstall GRUB.

If this would have been a problem, then this would have been well documented by Ubuntu and other Linux Distros and many bloggers would have mentioned about this. In short, we would have been well aware about this.

Can you explain how did you install. The guide goes for manual install, you did the same or went for dual boot option.
Can I do this after I have a working installation?
But in recent versions, if LINUX kernel detects more than 4 GB RAM, then it automatically installs PAE kernel. If not, you can install via synaptic.
I installed 8 GB.

the guide says
the second partition will be for Swap. About 2 GB or more is recommended. Select “swap area” from the “Use as” dropdown menu, then click OK.
a google search found others recommending twice the amount of ram

I have enough hard disk place so I just took 8 GB.
Regarding SWAP, SWAP is used only when system needs extra memory i.e. RAM is not sufficient. Linux Kernel shifts some memory to SWAP partition, so that system does not bloat. Generally, 2x RAM is recommended, but a SWAP should not be more than 4 GB Refer point #3

So In your case, SWAP will hardly be used. 1 GB is enough. some of them even do not have SWAP, but Fred (in his post) says that Linux Kernel requires SWAP. Fred is an advanced user and I trust him.

NOTE:
PLEASE use my comments in QUOTES to identity and differentiate between your and others comments. some users are dealing with many threads, so this approach help us out. Just reply to my comment, so you get everything you get in my post. if you want to quote only partial statements, then after hitting reply button, delete the last word quote along with / and sq bracket. You still have the opening quote i.e. first word of the reply, starting with sq bracket. This need to be closed with word / followed with word 'quote', both closed inside sq bracket.

Then select the para / line which you want to quote and select quote from the editor.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Could check out this

Actually looked pretty informative, guy seemed pretty thorough too. Also notes in there ( Stage 3) You need easybcd version 2 or higher to boot grub2. What version are you using ? Might not agree with everything he said/likes personally. But still thought it an interesting read. Agreed with a bunch of it and the guy seems to give more info when involving preferences vs less. Which I always appreciate and agree with.

( This doesn't apply to you, just a misc rant, feel free to skip it to the next link below eh. Hidden factory recovery partitions ... wth ? What nonsense ... friggin oem's and M$uks, always trying to give PC users more hassle, headaches and junk to deal with. Give me the reinstall discs for the OS and all the drivers when I buy a pc !!! If someone wants a factory recovery partition only, how about asking em to choose it ?!?!?!?

I WANT DISCS !!! This stoopid recovery partition garbage is already outta hand. Now I come across such a thing as hidden recovery partitions ??!?! ... whaaaa ? Hidden from WHO and WHY ... hidden WHERE ???!! Argggh. Win8, coming out w some stoopid "secure boot" thing !??!?! ... Errrrr also wth !? Secure for who, the user who wants to multiboot THEIR PC w M$'s poopware, or secure for m$ to try to keep people from doing it easily ? D: !!!

The more I see/learn about M$, the better I feel about getting into gnu/Linux when I did. Gawd they make me wanna puke !!! lol ... anyway.

EDIT Cont rant. If I want something hidden on MY computer I'LL hide it tyvm. Also stuff like this is just one of many great reasons to embrace opensource AND learn to assemble your own hardware, which also lets you pick the most gnu/Nix friendly components to use ... buy barebones ... or whichever. Then the big oems can take a long walk off a short pier too !!! Argggh. )

Might also check out this

Dunno, also have never had a reason to use easybcd. Though folks there are discussing Fedora 16 ( meaning the thread can't be too outdated),Fed 16 is a relatively new Fedora release that uses grub2, like LM ( and many others) So what's said may apply with Mint too. Also one person mentions a way he directly added an install to windows boot menu w/o use of easybcd altogether. Also never tried it so canna say one way or the other. That's what google is for. Sure it's far from impossible, ya just have to do your reading. :D
Last edited by lmintnewb on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:21 am, edited 21 times in total.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

A community tutorial #245 to reinstall grub2 from Live CD

another link How to Restore GRUB Bootloader on Linux Mint 10

also refer Grub2 information & Links.

The post is old, but you can read it from the last page :) Very useful links

EDIT: Added two more links
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

hi

I communicated with an author who prefers EastBCD and he says that it is possible to recover windows Bootloader with recovery disk

in response to White Lotus onFitzcarraldo's Blog:
Thanks for the info If i do not use EasyBCD and directly boot from GRUB2, can Vista / Win 7 be recovered using recovery disk (which I ahve to manually make) and not one touch recovery.

Yes.
on the other hand, I found super grub disk

Hope this helps.
joehansen

Post by joehansen »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

But I have given up on Mint. It just doesn't work.

I have installed a Debian and it works.

At least I found out it wasn't a dual boot issue. A new harddisk in the machine, and still Mint cannot be started!
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

joehansen wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions.

But I have given up on Mint. It just doesn't work.

I have installed a Debian and it works.

At least I found out it wasn't a dual boot issue. A new harddisk in the machine, and still Mint cannot be started!
glad to know that you managed to install Debian :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”