leaving Ubuntu, a sad day

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pmstarr

leaving Ubuntu, a sad day

Post by pmstarr »

I never dreamed this day has come for me. I can say very little, I got hitched starting around 5.04 and am leaving behind 11.10. forever. I am suffering a PTS, windows flash backs from the early 1990's.. I will live and have something more positive to say later... many thanks for the new home.

Phillip
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: leaving Ubuntu, a sad day

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome Phillip. I hope Linux Mint can give you what Ubuntu can't.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Welcome :D
Oneiric is the killer. Natty at least give a choice to use gnome classic.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum and Linux Mint!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
karliet

Post by karliet »

Welcome to the LM forums Phillip, I hope LM gives you everything you could ever need and then some
xtremo

Post by xtremo »

pmstarr wrote:I never dreamed this day has come for me. I can say very little, I got hitched starting around 5.04 and am leaving behind 11.10. forever.
You know something's wrong when the real longterm Ubuntu users jump ship.

I did as well, but I only started on 8.04 so nowhere near as long as you.

Sad day for me too....I'm just glad Mint was here for us!
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Phillip,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums Phillip!

Cheers.
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

pmstarr wrote:I never dreamed this day has come for me. I can say very little, I got hitched starting around 5.04 and am leaving behind 11.10. forever. I am suffering a PTS, windows flash backs from the early 1990's.. I will live and have something more positive to say later... many thanks for the new home.

Phillip
Wow! since Ubuntu 5.04! ... that must hurt... :(

Hope you find solace in Mint .....
minty33

Post by minty33 »

navigating unity is a step back for sure. the menu system is ridiculous and less efficient to say the least. and the fact that the program your using has its menu at the top of the OS screen not he programs window again is less intuitive and less efficient. alls i can say is this cloud trend is killing traditional desktop OS's a desktop OS doesn't need to act like a mobile or netbook OS it's crazy. my fear is i read in linux mag or linux format that mints decision not to switch is temporary and as soon as unity is "stable" mint will use it to. I hope they changed their mind given the ubuntu backlash and all the refugees they got. i'll say this if that happens i guess i'll be forced to see what all the arch linux hype is about. and use fedora till i get arch down. gnome rules it's so clean and simple and fast it doesn't need fixing. i would die if the menu system changed. i love how its all categorized and navigable via the "tree" format not clicking on icons like kde(in some set-ups) and especially unity
CaptHilts

Post by CaptHilts »

before i decided to switch entirely to a gnu/linux system i made sure i found alternatives for everything i was using on win. Once that happened i started to make sure that i learn about as many alternatives to what i had with my first gnu/linux only setup - exactly because of the way i started to understand the nature of FSF and opensource, distros and desktops, window managers etc. - up to this date i even ventured into the FreeBSD zone and took a look at LFS (linux from scratch). I was trying as many distros and desktops until i had at least 3-4 i feel comfortable with in case my current distro or desktop changes so drastically that i'd lose my comfort zone...of course the change came but i'm completely impartial to that change. I started out with gnome 2.* and used it for a long time but always tried desktops like KDE, xfce or lxde.

Now, i'm a happy KDE user but only because i was transitioning while i was still immensely enjoying gnome. It took me quite some time to get familiar and like KDE and if i were forced to choose it overnight i would've been disappointed and probably left the whole gnu/linux business altogether! Same with xfce and lxde...and don't get me started on distros...I think the really difficult part is wanting to learn more when you're set and all cozy - why looking for sth else? Well, it never hurts to learn some more. After all, with gnu/linux you're supposed to be able to decide what you want - not what someone else imposes on you. But for that to happen you need to explore and create alternatives for yourself.

What's the point to leave microsoft or apple for more choice and freedom over what you want when you only end up depending yet again on another OS, regardless of whether you wanna call it a gnu/linux system?
minty33 wrote:I hope they changed their mind given the ubuntu backlash and all the refugees they got. i'll say this if that happens i guess i'll be forced to see what all the arch linux hype is about. and use fedora till i get arch down. gnome rules it's so clean and simple and fast it doesn't need fixing.
Never heard of that Arch Linux hype (then again, i don't come around a lot ;)) but if there's a hype, then let me contribute: It's really a great distro. Especially that an Arch install comes without a desktop - i really love that part. The desktop's easy to install (e.g.: "pacman -S kdebase phonon-vlc" for KDE minimal) and it is really clean. I tried gnome-shell and it felt pretty slick, however somehow i was part of the crowd missing gnome 2.* - not because i don't like gnome-shell per se, but there's quite some functionality missing; at least when i was trying out gnome-shell 3.2. So now i run an Arch KDE minimal setup and i gotta say it's the best KDE implementation i've ever used; in my opinion, even PCLinuxOS doesn't come close...yet that was the distro that made me like KDE. Next setup will be the Enlightenment desktop.

Cheers
Captn
axel668

Post by axel668 »

in every end there's a new beginning ... welcome to the family :)
minty33

Post by minty33 »

ok let me clarify. by arch hype i meant its movement up the distro watch ladder. as well as the fact linux mag/format ect... mags had been talking about it. i didn't mean hype here. really i guess not much hype in general unless you get mags or go to distrowatch( it's #6 there for page hits and that tells me there is some hype)
gn2

Post by gn2 »

tdockery97 wrote:I hope Linux Mint can give you what Ubuntu can't.
Only if you install LMDE :lol:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

my fear is i read in linux mag or linux format that mints decision not to switch is temporary and as soon as unity is "stable" mint will use it to.
Can't see this happening in a million years - where exactly did you read that? I wouldn't worry.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

yeah...nothing to be concerned about...it's gnome 3 shell with extensions all the way for mint :wink:
I've used Unity myself on ubuntu 11.10 and did not find it to be as bad as some have said...still, i was glad to install mint 12 which gives me the good parts of ubuntu, gnome 3 and gnome shell but with the more conventional and familar desk top... :)

in fact, Mint 13 will be back to the one panel on the bottom with improved gnome 3 version of mint menu...that's actually always been the standard layout of mint and is what attracted many here in the first place (along with pre-installed codecs and other added minty tools)...

oh, and welcome to the "green side" :mrgreen: :lol:
Last edited by craig10x on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
minty33

Post by minty33 »

my bad. the article i read was talking about when they would move to gnome 3 not unity. it was when mint 11 came out and they stuck with gnome 2 and said they would wait till 3 was more stable ect..

Return to “Introduce Yourself”