Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GeneC

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Post by GeneC »

kmb

Thanks for the info.
Caja seemed to have take over my Shell as well.
I reverted back to a std gnome shell install. Will wait till Clem ports it with his tweaks to LMDE. Still to early.

Be Well.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

`alacarte` is buggy in Xubuntu, so I don't expect much improvement in MATE. :(
Don't stop where the ink does.
AlexSL

Some small bugs/wishes

Post by AlexSL »

Hello.
I installed Mint12 with Mate Desktop.
This is my first bugs/wishes for Mate:
1. In Caja file manager, in context menu, I do not see "Open in terminal" menu command (for open current folder in terminal).
2. When I open man-pages in mate-terminal, I can't scroll by mouse wheel, but in gnome-terminal it works.
3. Do not work stickynotes applet for panel (it work in gnome2).
4. Do not work media keys on my keyboard, for example volume-up and volume-down keys. In gnome2 this keys work fine. Maybe for this keys required manual configuration?
5. A wish: in old Nautilus was a button to switch address line from "buttons" format to "text edit" format. In latest versions of Gnome2 Nautilus have not this button and switching the address line formats is long operation. This button allow very fast switch address line formats. Can you add this button back to Caja, like in old Nautilus?

Thank you.
earlwho

Post by earlwho »

Mate is really great, especially for it being "in the works" and so new. I'm very pleased with it's progress. A few irritants but nothing very major. Keep up the good work. I'm sure as Mate usage expands, more help will be coming.

Earl
Rowen

Re: Some small bugs/wishes

Post by Rowen »

AlexSL wrote:Hello.
5. A wish: in old Nautilus was a button to switch address line from "buttons" format to "text edit" format. In latest versions of Gnome2 Nautilus have not this button and switching the address line formats is long operation. This button allow very fast switch address line formats. Can you add this button back to Caja, like in old Nautilus?
You can do this, go to the Menu > All Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor

Then apps > caja > preferences

Then mark always_use_location_entry , and there you have it. Location bar for the navigation menu.
AlexSL

Post by AlexSL »

Rowen wrote: You can do this, go to the Menu > All Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor

Then mark always_use_location_entry , and there you have it. Location bar for the navigation menu.
I know this way. I mean this way as long and not easy way. In old Nautilus I can do this in one mouse click. One mouse click to switch to use_location_entry, and one mouse click to switch back to buttons.
I long time use Ubuntu 8.04 hardy with Gnome 2.x desktop environment. In this old version Nautilus have this switch button.
It is not very important for me and this is not bug, but for me it is useful if this button added back in Caja.

Another one question: have Mate official bug tracker? Or I can post bugs only in this forum?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

AlexSL wrote:
Rowen wrote: You can do this, go to the Menu > All Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor

I know this way. I mean this way as long and not easy way. In old Nautilus I can do this in one mouse click. One mouse click to switch to use_location_entry, and one mouse click to switch back to buttons.
I long time use Ubuntu 8.04 hardy with Gnome 2.x desktop environment. In this old version Nautilus have this switch button.
It is not very important for me and this is not bug, but for me it is useful if this button added back in Caja.

Another one question: have Mate official bug tracker? Or I can post bugs only in this forum?
You can use this forum thread and you can create an account at both Launchpad and "github" (where the MATE code is being developed and feedback is gathered according to what distro it's installed on). Then you can leave feedback at Mint's Launchpad account:

https://launchpad.net/linuxmint

Choose "Bugs" and click on the "Advance search" link on the bugs page. Then locate and check the box next to "Linux Mint lisa-stable" and it will show you all bugs related to Linux Mint 12. You'll want to check this list in order to see if your problem has already been reported.

...and/or MATE's github "Issues" page (You'll see that submitted issues pertaining specifically to MATE in Linux Mint are highlighted in green):

https://github.com/perberos/mate-deskto ... ent/issues

MATE's main developer first post on this thread also lists the link top Mate's thread on Ubuntu forums as well.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
perberos

Post by perberos »

Hello there. I fixed the keybinding problem. It was a recently GTK update that broke the key detect code. Now it work fine. The version with the fix is in mate-control-center and mate-settings-daemon on 2011.12.08

I hope they update.
perberos

Post by perberos »

AlexSL wrote:1. In Caja file manager, in context menu, I do not see "Open in terminal" menu command (for open current folder in terminal).
in the package mate-file-manager-open-terminal
AlexSL wrote:2. When I open man-pages in mate-terminal, I can't scroll by mouse wheel, but in gnome-terminal it works.
I can scroll by mouse wheel in mate-terminal on man pages.
AlexSL wrote:3. Do not work stickynotes applet for panel (it work in gnome2).
Stickynotes is in mate-applets package.
AlexSL wrote:4. Do not work media keys on my keyboard, for example volume-up and volume-down keys. In gnome2 this keys work fine. Maybe for this keys required manual configuration?
Please, try update with the 2011.12.08 version (I think today I fixed it)
AlexSL wrote:5. A wish: in old Nautilus was a button to switch address line from "buttons" format to "text edit" format. In latest versions of Gnome2 Nautilus have not this button and switching the address line formats is long operation. This button allow very fast switch address line formats. Can you add this button back to Caja, like in old Nautilus?
I was thinking in add it. But I am lazy. You can press CTRL+L to switch text path.
AlexSL

Post by AlexSL »

perberos, thanks for your answer.
I have Mate installed from Linux Mint repository. Maybe this is older version of Mate. Maybe my problems because this is old version.
I hope the Linux Mint Team make update for Mate in their repository.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

AlexSL wrote:perberos, thanks for your answer.
I have Mate installed from Linux Mint repository. Maybe this is older version of Mate. Maybe my problems because this is old version.
I hope the Linux Mint Team make update for Mate in their repository.
They (Mint) have been making updates to MATE as soon as they have time to package the updates and upload them to the update servers. So yes, they're going to be a bit behind the latest fixes by 'perberos' but they'll come soon enough. I think it took about a week after perberos's last set of fixes before they came in as updates to Linux Mint 12. Perhaps someday we might get a PPA for MATE? :wink: :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kleeman

Post by kleeman »

Perebos

Congratulations on your MATE project. I am very impressed by how quickly you have got this working. One thing I am missing in Mint MATE is the panel applets Invest and Weather. Go you know what their status is in MATE? If these were made available I would switch to MATE full time as my desktop.....
LexMK

Post by LexMK »

http://i42.tinypic.com/ivbr0l.png

Here's my desktop using Mate on Mint 12
perberos

Post by perberos »

kleeman wrote:One thing I am missing in Mint MATE is the panel applets Invest and Weather. Go you know what their status is in MATE?
Weather applet is on mate-applet.
Invest applet is on mate-applet too, but it do not work.
kleeman

Post by kleeman »

perberos wrote:
kleeman wrote:One thing I am missing in Mint MATE is the panel applets Invest and Weather. Go you know what their status is in MATE?
Weather applet is on mate-applet.
Invest applet is on mate-applet too, but it do not work.
Thanks. Yes I thought that was the situation by looking at the git repository. The mate-applet package appears to be missing from the Mint repository at present. Compatibility issues with gnome?
AlexSL

Post by AlexSL »

Can I use your repository http://mate.karapetsas.com/ to update Mate desktop as alternative to LinuxMint repository?
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

AlexSL wrote:Can I use your repository http://mate.karapetsas.com/ to update Mate desktop as alternative to LinuxMint repository?
Yes. The repositories are compatible. Use oneiric if you use Lisa, sid if you use LMDE.

Code: Select all

deb http://tridex.net/repo/ubuntu/ oneiric main
deb http://tridex.net/repo/debian/ sid main
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hello stefano-k,
welcome to the Mint forum 8)
we have a topic :) with your repo and LMDE here
you are very welcome to join us in there if you feel like it;
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

zerozero wrote:hello stefano-k,
welcome to the Mint forum 8)
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

In my MATE-word the most annoying things are:

1. CPU usage too high, which makes other programs perform too slow.
Steaming video is hacking)
(Compiz activated)
2. I have no system monitor applet (There are several less applet-programs than in LM 10)
3. System complains directly if I select Theme the way I should like to have it.
4. No "Open file as administrator" (root) in Caja.
5. No "Calculate MD5" in Caja.
6. The resize-corner-symbol at right of the Panel. (Can't see the right arrow)

Are those things anything someone is working with?? :roll:

/Sven

Return to “MATE”