Pear OS Ubuntu variant

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Pear OS Ubuntu variant

Post by waldo »

Today's DistroWatch update announced the availability of Pear OS 3.0. Has anybody heard of this one before? It appears to be a project done by one or two French guys. They are obviously playing cute with the Apple name and logo. The screen shots look quite nice. I'm downloading it right now.

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07022
http://www.pear-os-linux.fr/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Pear OS Ubuntu variant

Post by bimsebasse »

There's already Elementary for a Ubuntu based distro leaning heavily towards Apple in setup and design. Sometimes the Linux fragmentation is a bit silly - is there a need for 2 MacUbuntus? :D
swiftlinuxcreator

Post by swiftlinuxcreator »

This is a case of life imitating art. Nickelodeon sitcoms like _Zoey 101_, _Drake and Josh_, _iCarly_, and _Victorious_ feature Pear computers. I wonder if the people behind Pear OS have watched these shows.
podagee

Post by podagee »

i am honestly not impressed by pear os nor snowlinux.all these ubuntu remixes are plainly the same old thing,just a different logo.in my opinion mint is the best branch off of ubuntu.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I don't know, Pear OS 3.0 "Panther" seems to be getting some very nice reviews. For example:
This is not saying that Pear OS is perfect because it is not, but the minor issues I noticed in the course of putting this review together are nothing compared to the almost torturous task of using Ubuntu 11.10, Linux Mint 12 or any other distribution that uses GNOME 3.

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/12/17/pe ... -3-review/
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Their dash thing "Launchpad" does look better and simpler than both Gnome Shell's "overview" and Unity's "dash". It comes from the above mentioned Elementary OS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o96Swc0PeA
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

I've played with Pear OS 3.0 for a bit now, and it has some promise. However, it seems to be more like a late alpha or early beta release. It needs some work. There are many little problems. (Of course some of these may be related to the Gnome 3 underpinnings - reminds me of Mint 12 :) .)

The developer is on a good course for creating a simple user friendly (and familiar to Apple users) desktop out of Gnome Mess 3.x. I wish him well on this project.
podagee

Post by podagee »

tried the new pear os and it was actually nice.i love that desktop they have too bad the livecd was blended with english and some other language.but the desktop was smooth and,dont know if im correct,but,that shell (sort of kde shell) was awesome.+1 for pear os.good job guys
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

podagee wrote:tried the new pear os and it was actually nice.i love that desktop they have too bad the livecd was blended with english and some other language.but the desktop was smooth and,dont know if im correct,but,that shell (sort of kde shell) was awesome.+1 for pear os.good job guys
Yeah i looked at it...not bad at all..but i think that's french :lol:
He (the developer) should get that straightened out on there...
Last edited by craig10x on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
podagee

Post by podagee »

soory its not akde interface its the new elementary slingshot its nice.i even installed slingshot on my ubuntu 11.10.
the only thing is pear os is kinda bare.not much in it but very nice.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

podagee, have you tried installing slingshot in Mint 12?
podagee

Post by podagee »

no just ubuntu 11.10.it has to be a gnome desktop and you have to create the custom launcher,like launchpad,in pear os.i run it in gnome shell from the terminal.i dont have a gnome classic desktop cause i erased it.but im pretty sure you could do it in mint 12.take a look here: http://www.ubunturoot.com/2011/05/how-t ... ntary.html
looks like its mint they are installing it in.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
osxlinux

Post by osxlinux »

I agree with others it is a nice new variant but still has some bugs to be worked out. I decided to modify my Mint 12 after using pear for a couple of days to have the same look and feel. Here are some snapshots of the results.
Cheers
R00l

Post by R00l »

Do you have any instructions on what you did to make it look this good. I am newer to linux, and would like to incorporate some of the things you have done here. Great work and thanks
osxlinux

Post by osxlinux »

R001
depending on what repo's you have enabled, do a search in synaptic for Docky, Ubuntu-Tweak, make sure you have advanced settings available as well. Also do a google search for mac for linux icon pack and Lion icon packs, themes etc. Once you obtain those programs which are very straight forward in ease of use, you will be able to tweak your setup.
Cheers
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

How did you get the overview to look identical to Slingshot - or is that slingshot with a gnome shell top panel?
podagee

Post by podagee »

install slingshot through ppa and create a custom launcher with its path to slingshot
osxlinux

Post by osxlinux »

bimsebasse that is slingshot and as podagee stated you can add it through a ppa and then just pin it to the dock. I use the Launchpad icon from mac for it just as the system pref icon points to advanced settings. Slingshot (package name: slingshot-launcher
osxlinux

Post by osxlinux »

After trying to install the new Pear/ Comice 4.0 for a few hours I gave up and tried a stock Ubuntu 11.10 install and then customize. Not bad and quite surprised with the results.

Return to “Chat about Linux”