Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What version of Mint do you use

Linux Mint 12 - Gnome 3
15%
Linux Mint 12 - Gnome 3 MGSE
9%
Linux Mint 12 - MATE
4%
Linux Mint 11 or earlier
29%
Mint Debian - Gnome
11%
Mint Debian - Xfce
11%
Mint 11 LXDE or earlier
4%
Other...
17%

Total votes: 159

lmintnewb

Re: Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?

Post by lmintnewb »

Oh good gawd the banshee thing again. ??? Really ... errrr, ok well gawds bless ya, cya when I cya. Actually like TW, seems an intelligent and gnu/nix knowledgeable chap, sure this community would loose out if you decide to go elsewhere. But am highly caffeinated at the moment so am about to retort over this same FUD.

1. It's allowed by the terms of the agreement apparently assoc with the software that was used. If banshee demanded this, that, this and that were to be part of the TOS, they'd have specified it. They didn't, it's fair game, whether done intentionally or not. Hate to break it the people who maintain Mint need MONEY, this stuff may be free to the users, it's not free to them or all the time they dump.

The same folks griping about $4 bucks stolen away from gnome/banshee. Are the same folks who won't pay LM HQ a cent, yet at the drop of a hat gripe, why isn't this working smoothly, why doesn't this do this like that ? Why are the forums unreachable sometimes ? Well ... maybe because they don't have time to focus on the software or don't have endless revenue to pay for high spec servers !!! The very moment people behind Mint try to find alternative ways to get up revenue, there's an outcry from the userbase. You dang freedom hating gestapo type opensource distro ! Do you want good Mint or dontcha ? Well it likely takes both time and money for that to happen.

aka: Hypocritical, ungrateful, unrealistic and unreasonable much ? No worries though, not like a guns at anyones head here. Everyone is free to come and go as they please.

Omg, someone at Mint dared deprive gnome of 4.53 cents ! This is the outrage to end all outrages !!!! Yet it's fair game according to the TOS of the software involved. That's it ... let's burn somebody at the stake or all have a stroke or summin, lol.

note 2 self, this definitely needs to be the last cuppa coffee. :D Cr&p starting to feel like a LM fanboi ... and don't even use LM atm myself. Maybe I should go elsewhere too 4 real. Like this distro though, the LM I tried was a good experience. So am grateful to them/others for that. Just trying to be realistic when I see criticism like this pop up. For most people guessing all they really care about, is does the software work well for them, or doesn't it. Truth be told I'm all for using what ya like anyway folks ... Just sayin there's more to a story than one side and knee jerk reactions to silly junk. Do as your intellect and conscience deems appropriate for ya.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The article about Banshee is just a bunch of BS. Clem did absolutely nothing wrong and even took the time to respond to the so called scandal. This is the kind of thing that happens when you reach the status that Mint has achieved. This article was posted on a Ubuntu driven site and seems like a "Who can I make look bad so I look good today" type of thing to me. If you get right down to it, to use Ubuntu as a base you are SUPPOSED to remove ALL references to Ubuntu and that is exactly what Clem did. To call the thing with Banshee a "scandal" is ridicules and very petty. I should hope that anyone with an ounce of common sense would see that article for what it really is and dismiss it as dirty, underhanded journalism.
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

exploder wrote:The article about Banshee is just a bunch of BS. Clem did absolutely nothing wrong and even took the time to respond to the so called scandal. This is the kind of thing that happens when you reach the status that Mint has achieved. This article was posted on a Ubuntu driven site and seems like a "Who can I make look bad so I look good today" type of thing to me. If you get right down to it, to use Ubuntu as a base you are SUPPOSED to remove ALL references to Ubuntu and that is exactly what Clem did. To call the thing with Banshee a "scandal" is ridicules and very petty. I should hope that anyone with an ounce of common sense would see that article for what it really is and dismiss it as dirty, underhanded journalism.

amen.

the article was a hit piece
minitrucker

Post by minitrucker »

and now..... back to the matter at hand. The amount of you guys using 9 LTS has me wondering if I should check that out actually.....
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

10. 10 likes my hardware, 10 looks nice, co-operates, has the old school features and settings I like, I found 11 to be a bit buggy, 12 is smartphone GUI training wheels, lol. LMDE is way too choked with software installation rules, I am sure you could put the most unstable of repositories in it but you would eventually wind up with a borked installation. 11, 12 and LMDE wouldn't install on my hardware Raid, 10 does. I treat my 10 installation disk like I paid $1000 for it, I have the packages I chose for 10 backed up with APTonCD. I would like to see somebody come between me and my LM 10, they will draw back a bloody stump, lol. ;-D

Edit: The 'current' nVidia driver works fantastic in LM 10, love the Compiz, love the desktop 'cube', complete with rotation and pager in the 'taskbar'.
Last edited by tek_heretik on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

fraxinus_63 wrote:I am in no hurry at all to leave Mint 10 (Gnome). The best Linux desktop I have come across to date. My computer works hard doing editing and graphics work, hosting VMs, etc. and this release combines good looks with absolutely flawless performance.

I think the concept behind Mint 12 is fantastic - giving users what they say they want; giving us Gnome 3 without the Gnome Shell. However, the complexity of this task means that it is bound to be a slightly experimental release. Not so good for a workstation, where I want zero failures/zero 'adjustment time' once it has been set up as I want it. Mint 10 delivers this level of satisfaction.

I shall hang on where I am for the time being. If LM13 is a LTS release, I'd be tempted by it. By then, there may be many more extensions around to make Gnome 3 more useable.
Agreed! Well said. :wink: :D
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

CRAP! I want to change my vote, I clicked other instead of LM 11 or earlier, I am using LM 10 Gnome.
oysterboy

Post by oysterboy »

Proud LM9 (gnome) user here. LM10 was an excellent release too. LM11 never worked well on any of my computers. LM12 seems more like a transitional release than a finished product. I sure hope that the next LTS will be as good as LM9 is, but the trend is worrying (through no fault of Mint - I believe the problems stem more from the Ubuntu base and the young yet not too promising gnome shell...).
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

Mint10
Been absolutely flawless,fast and the customizing side of it is 100% satisfying .

Mint11 is good also but dosnt feel as snappy as m10.

My vote goes to m10.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
Herpy

Post by Herpy »

I was useing Linux Mint 11 with Fluxbox on it but I have reverted to Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox. It's light, long term supported, it's Fluxbox, it's perfect! :wink:
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Mint 9, same reasons given by Reorx. Although the default theme is a tad dated, all it took was a quick install of the Mint-X icons and themes to give the UI a more recent look.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
jampola

Post by jampola »

ThistleWeb wrote:I was using LMDE XFCE on both my netbook and laptop until the other day, when I switched the netbook to Crunchbang. After the Mint dev's recent actions and reactions involving Banshee affiliate codes, I think my laptop will follow suit. I'm also doubtful of staying as a member of the Mint community.
I'm not deeply involved in the mint community but even I can read between the lines and realise this was something that has been grossly misinterpreted. I think this is a sad reason to jump ship and I feel for you buddy.
jampola

Post by jampola »

I wrote an in-depth little ditty here about my experiences with Lisa - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=88814

To be brief, I am am quite in love with Lisa. I think Mint has done what Gnome should have in the first place. For me at least, it hasn't been buggy as some people have reported. Mind you, I am starting to think most of the buggy-ness people are experiencing is due to the vast majority of people who like to tweak their setup. Since I am using mint for a purpose (work) and maybe installing a few gnome extensions, I haven't had a problem. Even when I tweak and mess with Debian, I break it, same with Arch and Ubuntu (at least for me) so I can't see why it would be any different for Mint.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hey - I've got a laptop that's still running LM5:- Elyssa :D
and a desktop that dual boots with LM7 - Gloria :)
and this one will triple boot's with LM10 - Julia 8)

and my VB still has LM11 on it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I'm old and don't have much time left! Got to have a system that is simple, reliable and moves fast - lot of Internet yet to cover. SO ITS LXDE ALL THE WAY! :lol:
Lomapur

Post by Lomapur »

I use Lisa's Gnome Classic desktop. Why ? Works smoothly, looks nice and Gnome 3 won't work with my card (old GeForce 4 440 MX :|).. I'm really satisfied with all the options Lisa gives, and for now - I'm staying here :)
Nightstrike2009

Post by Nightstrike2009 »

I am using Linux Mint 12 with the default DE, I came to Linux Mint because of the Ubuntu "Unity" farce, which IMO is little more than a tantrum against Gnome 3.0. I like the blending of Gnome 3.0 with mint extensions has it allows users to adjust from gnome 2.0 to gnome 3.0 easier, by providing both the new interface and a familiar looking one in the same session.

Good work, Clem and the Mint team yet another "Ubuntu refugee" is hear to stay on the Mintier side of linux :-)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Mint 12 because, in my opinion, it is the best release yet. I love what Clem has done with Gnome 3 and find it faster/more efficient than Gnome 2. I have zero complaints with this release :wink:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

z06gal wrote:Mint 12 because, in my opinion, it is the best release yet. I love what Clem has done with Gnome 3 and find it faster/more efficient than Gnome 2. I have zero complaints with this release :wink:
Same here :D
While i didn't mind using unity on ubuntu 11.10 that much i must admit that having mint 12 with gnome 3 shell instead and MGSE extensions to make it more like the old comfortable interface that most of us are use to (like Nightstrike2009 mentioned above)...is really outstanding...and i am finding Mint 12 to be very stable and fun to use :wink:

I did add the "auto hide top panel" extension from the gnome 3 extensions webpage...which works great and gives me back the space on top while still having the mint menu and window list on bottom...sort of like having your cake and eating it too :lol:

Of course, come Mint 13 i won't need that extension anymore since Clem mentioned it will have just the bottom panel and improved gnome 3 mint menu as well...
mtnbiker72

Post by mtnbiker72 »

Linux Mint 10 (Main Edition) 64bit for these reasons
-Kernel 2.6.35 runs all my hardware (which 2.6.32 in LM9 and LMDE does not) without any extra work on my part
-Kernel 2.6.35 does not have the power consumption issues that newer kernels do
-Gnome 2 desktop is my favorite DE (with LXDE a close second). I have tried them all and I simply like Gnome 2 the best.

My hope is that by the time Linux Mint 13 comes out the power consumption issues in newer kernels will be solved and MATE will be stable.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”