No battery Life and Power Settings in MATE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NModern

No battery Life and Power Settings in MATE

Post by NModern »

I have netbook with Linux MINT. If I choose MATE desktop, i couldn't find Laptop Battery Life status icon, to check how much time I can use my netbook. And there isn't Power Setting menu, where I can change Power settings/ So if I close my laptop it's not going to Suspend regime.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tracyanne

Re: No battery Life and Power Settings in MATE

Post by tracyanne »

Same thing occurs in Linux Mint 12. If I can't control suspend etc than I can't install Linux Mint on my main work laptop.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

Similar on a desktop, no Screen applet and no Power applet to configure Suspend settings
Amanas

Post by Amanas »

I believe you want: sudo apt-get install mate-power-manager
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

sudo apt-get install mate-power-manager
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mate-power-manager
Kimiko_0

Post by Kimiko_0 »

Mate is a work in progress. As in, it doesn't have everything quite as perfect as Gnome 2 yet. If want to use Mint for a work system, you'd best use either Mint 11 (which has Gnome 2), or Mint 12 with the Gnome 3 desktop.

If you're willing to live on the wild side though, you can add the Mate repository to apt/Synaptic. That should give you the option of installing the mate-power-manager package.

Or you could wait for the Mint folks to update the main repository with the new Mate version.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

^^thanks, Mate
maxdule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maxdule »

I think I could (will) live (at least for a while) with Mate without extra settings, but I believe I could hardly live with psychotic Gnome 3 looks and settings.
tarr11

Post by tarr11 »

There is a power settings, you may not have the panel enabled in your menu bar. You shouldn't need to install any software to do this.

Right click bottom menu bar
Select Add To Panel
Select Notification Area

You should see a section with Battery, Volume, Wifi etc
kumaryu

Post by kumaryu »

MATE 1.1 available through tridex repos (here: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/doku.php/download#ubuntu) will give you "mate-power-manager" as well as other missing task bar applets.
nattydread69

Post by nattydread69 »

you can install batmon, battery monitor, that is what I use (for now)

sudo apt-get install batmon.app

Enjoy!

Return to “MATE”