Is the LXDE project dead?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Is the LXDE project dead?

Post by xenopeek »

Anybody know what is happening with the http://lxde.org website?

Past two months or so I've tried, but I haven't been able to access it. And it seems to be down for everybody (using this web check). I also tried connecting to IP address directly, but now even OpenDNS and Google DNS (checked with "dig @8.8.8.8 lxde.org") are giving a server fail as response, instead of an IP address...

I'm trying to find a new desktop environment to call "home", and I like the way LXDE works (though my machine can handle any DE, so "lightweight" is not a consideration). I wanted to access the forums and such to read up on any GTK 3 migration path plans for LXDE (as GTK+ is not maintained anymore), but I'm about to give up on this :( Sticking to LM11 GNOME 2 for now, but I'll have to make a decision next few months :wink: *spoiler alert* it isn't going to be GNOME 3, as that is the reason I'm looking for a new DE 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneC

Re: Is the LXDE project dead?

Post by GeneC »

Hi vincent.

Looks like they are working on a LXDE Lisa! (Along with KDE Lisa)
http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... =Lisa-LXDE
:wink:

That is Mint of course.
Not sure on the LXDE project itself. :?:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi GeneC, thanks :D Good to know Lisa LXDE is underway. I'm mostly concerned about the state of the LXDE project itself, ah well :wink:
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

The LXDE.org website has always been kind of "quirky". It's just a matter of roulette if you can get it to connect. :lol: It was up last Friday, but now....?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Have you tried the PepperMint-OS . . . there is a reason, it has the word Mint in it's name.

Made and designed by some of the same Devs that work on Mint - uses the LXDE desktop enviroment by default.

PepperMint-OS is light on resources, very fast - and still Minty-fresh. :mrgreen:

PepperMint-OS > http://peppermintos.com/
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Hi Vincent, Well site is up now (screenshot attached) - This is your first question which I am able to reply :D . Regarding Mint I am just am End User and not a geek like you ;)

@vrkalak.

I tried Peppermint OS. Though I like it, I did not find anything special about ICE.

In chrome / Chromium, click the settings icon (titled customize and control chrome settings) - the one on right side of awesome bar. go to tools and click 'create application shortcuts. You will have a different icon for different app like google docs. I guess this is similar to ICe, except that ICE does not have forward , back buttons.

I am not technical, so please enlighten me if I am missing something.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

I have never had problems with http://lxde.org/ and I think I only visited it half a dozen times over the last few months.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks all for the feedback :D Site is working now, perhaps it is just always down on the weekends that I have time for it :roll:

Anyway, I'll see how if goes from here. Both LXDE and XFCE as a DE look promising as replacement for GNOME 2/3, but I want to make sure GTK+ migration to GTK 3 is being done. I'll be checking out the LXDE forums now they are back up :mrgreen:
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

There is another DE: Razor-Qt: A New Lightweight Desktop Environment Based On QT Just incase something happens to LXDE :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

sunewbie wrote:There is another DE: Razor-Qt: A New Lightweight Desktop Environment Based On QT Just incase something happens to LXDE :)
Yeah I was reading up on that also; we seem to follow the same website :wink:
wiko

Post by wiko »

NO, apparently it isn't (anymore).

the website is up again.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

xenopeek wrote:
sunewbie wrote:There is another DE: Razor-Qt: A New Lightweight Desktop Environment Based On QT Just incase something happens to LXDE :)
Yeah I was reading up on that also; we seem to follow the same website :wink:
Ya. There are quite a few blogs like omg ubuntu, which keeps us up-2-date. Pinguy also blogs useful articles. :)

I dont play games, but for those who like games check out Ubuntu vibes
HOOHAA

Post by HOOHAA »

xenopeek wrote:Anybody know what is happening with the http://lxde.org website?

Past two months or so I've tried, but I haven't been able to access it. And it seems to be down for everybody (using this web check). I also tried connecting to IP address directly, but now even OpenDNS and Google DNS (checked with "dig @8.8.8.8 lxde.org") are giving a server fail as response, instead of an IP address...

I'm trying to find a new desktop environment to call "home", and I like the way LXDE works (though my machine can handle any DE, so "lightweight" is not a consideration). I wanted to access the forums and such to read up on any GTK 3 migration path plans for LXDE (as GTK+ is not maintained anymore), but I'm about to give up on this :( Sticking to LM11 GNOME 2 for now, but I'll have to make a decision next few months :wink: *spoiler alert* it isn't going to be GNOME 3, as that is the reason I'm looking for a new DE 8)
Hello there,

I'm a member in Lubuntu and LXDE Team. I'm also a Moderator on LXDE Forum and Very Active Member on Ubuntu Forum.
I can assure you that LXDE Project is NOT dead. However, we do have problems with the hosting company and the websites of LXDE and Lubuntu are down from time to time. We're doing our best to keep both up and running.

As for an LXDE Distribution, I'm honestly Lubuntu Addicted and Loving it :) I'm here because Mint can't be ignored and I do many tests on it too beside Lubuntu. I'm typing this now from Mint LXDE 11 :)
I have Mint LXDE 9 installed on Omni Book HP Laptop 4510 (P2 with 64MB RAM ONLY).
To be honest and as per my tests, Lubuntu runs faster than Mint LXDE. If your machine is capable of running and DE then that won't be a problem.

If you need anything regarding Lubuntu or LXDE, let me know, hope I can help :)

Thanks!
HOOHAA

Post by HOOHAA »

vrkalak wrote:Have you tried the PepperMint-OS . . . there is a reason, it has the word Mint in it's name.

Made and designed by some of the same Devs that work on Mint - uses the LXDE desktop enviroment by default.

PepperMint-OS is light on resources, very fast - and still Minty-fresh. :mrgreen:

PepperMint-OS > http://peppermintos.com/
Peppermint was a huge disappointment for me. First, it requires more RAM than Lubuntu. Second thing, right after I installed it, the LXPanel disappeared and I'm quite sure I have done nothing wrong (I've been with LXDE for a year now).

IMHO, it needs more work. Also, I see both Lubuntu and Mint LXDE are more than enough and both are good.

I have Peppermint on this PC for testing purpose but I'll remove it. This is my opinion and YMMV :)
HOOHAA

Post by HOOHAA »

I have installed it on Xubuntu 11.04 (which I never use on daily basis but keep it for testing as I do a lot of testing) and ... it needs more time to be used on daily basis. It requires more RAM than LXDE (+10MB) when idle. It looks ok but IMHO, needs more time.

I've read some articles about it. So far, there is no Linux Distribution comes by default with Razor-Qt but who knows? :)
yeti

Post by yeti »

I've also had problems from time-to-time with the LXDE site.
I also had started to think it was in trouble.
Recently I ran across the mail-list site that seems to have
been in continuous business all along.

http://www.mail-archive.com/lxde-list@l ... forge.net/

How this effort gets translated into Debian, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mint,
etc is still beyond me.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

HOOHAA wrote: I have installed it on Xubuntu 11.04 (which I never use on daily basis but keep it for testing as I do a lot of testing) and ... it needs more time to be used on daily basis. It requires more RAM than LXDE (+10MB) when idle. It looks ok but IMHO, needs more time.

I've read some articles about it. So far, there is no Linux Distribution comes by default with Razor-Qt but who knows? :)
Hello HOOHAA

Pleasure talking to you.

Looks like you have got a younger brother from a different mother :D ;) :P

It is thumb sucking baby, but will grow up as KDE is going is more concentrating on touch screen devices.

I hear news only after people like you blog about it :) I am end user

Pinguy is interested in this project and in future, he may have a separate edition based on Razor-Qt and MATE.

I like LXDE, but I wish I had an easy way (right click menu) to put icons on desktop. For most things synapse / gnome-do does work for me. Going a bit off topic ...
HOOHAA

Post by HOOHAA »

sunewbie wrote:Hello HOOHAA

Pleasure talking to you.
Same here, thanks :)
Looks like you have got a younger brother from a different mother :D ;) :P
It is thumb sucking baby, but will grow up as KDE is going is more concentrating on touch screen devices.
Time will tell and it's really great to have more DEs but for now, LXDE is doing better IMHO. I know it's not prefect and I'm also aware that the development is VERY slow on LXDE's side but I hope every promising project will have the attention it really needs. In fact, that goes for Linux in general.
Acc to webup8, Pinguy is interested in this project and in future, he may have a separate edition based on Razor-Qt and MATE.
Same source where I read about it and that was on my facebook feed.
I like LXDE, but I wish I had an easy way (right click menu) to put icons on desktop. For most things synapse / gnome-do does work for me.
If I understood your words correctly, I think you can do that easily. Say you want to add "Synaptic" to the desktop from the menu. You just right click and choose "Add to Desktop". If you mean something else, that's different story :)

We need actually to stop comparing DEs. I see huge debate daily on Ubuntu Forum about Unity vs GNOME3 vs GNOME2 and stuff like that. LXDE is not GNOME and will never be. Having that said, don't expect to have all GNOME features in LXDE :) why? simply nothing is prefect.

GNOME for example can't breath a new life into an ancient laptop from 1999 with P2 and 64MB RAM while LXDE does ;)
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

HOOHAA wrote: We need actually to stop comparing DEs. I see huge debate daily on Ubuntu Forum about Unity vs GNOME3 vs GNOME2 and stuff like that. LXDE is not GNOME and will never be. Having that said, don't expect to have all GNOME features in LXDE :) why? simply nothing is prefect.

GNOME for example can't breath a new life into an ancient laptop from 1999 with P2 and 64MB RAM while LXDE does ;)
+1

Completely agree.
LXDE is doing better IMHO.
+1

LXDE is definitely doing better and gaining popularity :)

I am just an end user, still i feel that even though Development may be slow, LXDE is mature and stable :)

Regarding having icons on desktop, I will have a look at it again, was just recalling on memory, during early days when I just shifted from Windows to Ubuntu.

Cheers
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Links (icons) on the LXDE desktop is quick - copy, small edit and paste: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#11 .

Return to “Software & Applications”