Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nidwow

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Post by nidwow »

AstroGeek wrote: Install either the mate power manager (package mate-power-manager), which may or may not work for you--I've been have problems with some dependencies--or the xfce4 power manager (package xfce4-power-manager) which is compatable with MATE. From the power manager options you can set up the conditions under which your computer goes to sleep or into hibernation.
I was checking my synaptic but I don't have mate-power-manager.

At this point I demoted LM12 from (hoping for it to become my main OS). I find myself spending more time trying to make LM12 work like LM9 but unfortunately it required more time and skills than what I have.

So, I'm going with other OS for now.
stovenator

Post by stovenator »

stovenator wrote:Also, the new packages haven't fixed my multimedia volume keys (which is the main thing I was interested in getting fixed). It's possible either those patches didn't make it into the Tridex repo yet, or my previous attempts to fix the issue on my system have screwed up, or the patch hasn't quite fixed the issue completely.
Hmmm... seems like even though the version numbers are different, the packages for mate-settings-daemon are the same (they have the same MD5 hash).
$ apt-cache showpkg mate-settings-daemon
Package: mate-settings-daemon
Versions:
1.1.0-1 (/var/lib/apt/lists/tridex.net_repo_ubuntu_dists_oneiric_main_binary-amd64_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
Description Language:
File: /var/lib/apt/lists/tridex.net_repo_ubuntu_dists_oneiric_main_binary-amd64_Packages
MD5: 54d8bcdfcf73d60915e10324af034539

1.0.0-1 (/var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_lisa_import_binary-amd64_Packages)
Description Language:
File: /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_lisa_import_binary-amd64_Packages
MD5: 54d8bcdfcf73d60915e10324af034539
AlexSL

Post by AlexSL »

Hello, perberos.
After update to latest version from http://tridex.net/repo/ubuntu/ repository :
1. stickynotes applet can't save notes. I can make new note, but after reboot all notes are lost.
2. media keys on my keyboard still don't work. You wrote on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:34 pm :
perberos wrote: Please, try update with the 2011.12.08 version (I think today I fixed it)
AstroGeek

Post by AstroGeek »

Kimiko_0 wrote:AstroGeek - Those dependency troubles you got are caused by Mint having its own repository pinned to a higher priority in /etc/apt/preferences. If you don't want to mess with the priorities (they can become a bit of a headache quickly), just give the file a different name so apt ignores its contents and you can easily restore it if necessary.
Sorry if this is obvious, but I am still quite new to Linux. Do you mean I should copy the preferences file to make a backup and then change the priorities or do you mean I should just change its name so that apt ignore the priorities altogether? I tried changing the priorities so that they now read like this:

Code: Select all

Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 800
Is that what I should be doing? Because the dependencies are still not working. When explaining the problem with dependencies I get this message:
caja-open-terminal:
Depends: libmateconf but it is not going to be installed
But I can't fine libmateconf anywhere in synaptic. I tried getting it from the terminal and what a mess that caused. It came up with a few dependencies, which I downloaded, but they removed a bunch of things. Including Caja. I am now trying to get things back in order.
AstroGeek

Post by AstroGeek »

Okay, I just changed the name of the preferences file and managed to get everything reinstalled (I think) and the stuff I want more or less in place. mate-power manager isn't working properly--when I tried to launch it from the terminal I got this error message:

Code: Select all

mate-power-manager: error while loading shared libraries: libmate-keyring.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
There were some errors synaptic gave me when I installed everything--some stuff didn't install properly or something. I'm also having the same issue with the Mint menu as stovenator. Not a huge issue as I can use the Mate menu, but strange.

By the way, one feature that Caja is missing is the ability to open a folder as root. Nautilus had this and I liked it as it would save me having to go into the terminal and edit files using sudo. Although it's not as big deal now that I can open a location in the terminal from Caja.
perberos

Post by perberos »

nidwow wrote:So, I'm going with other OS for now.
Me too
Kimiko_0

Post by Kimiko_0 »

AstroGeek - That XKCD comic is so true, isn't it? :)
Yes, renaming the file is what I meant. Trying to get pinned apt priorities working correctly is a headache I'd rather avoid personally.
Hmm, the libmate-keyring.so.1 library is in the libmatekeyring package, which should've been installed as it's a dependency of mate-power-manager. Have you tried reapplying the changes in Synaptic? Rarely it will not be able to get everything working on the first try if you install/upgrade a lot of things at once, but trying the installation/upgrade again usually works. If Synaptic really can't figure out how to install some circular dependency or dual-owned file or something, I usually resort to dpkg's --force options, but that's probably not good advice.
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

If you get tired of not working things in Mint 12, try this new remixed Linux Mint 10! http://linux.exton.net/debex-mint/english/index.html
It looks like Mint should , it runs perfect like Mint should and It is stable as Mint should be. :D

This Mint 10 remix has the same kernel as Mint 12, the same Firefox and the same Thunderbird. It's a live DVD (in Swedish but you can change location easy as usual.) I have installed it on 2 machines now and it,s the closest to perfect you ever can come! :mrgreen:
perberos

Post by perberos »

*using translator*

The multimedia keys problem was the lack of a flag in the package configuration mate-settings-daemon. (lol, I mess all code while searching this nonexistent bug)
I hope LinuxMint can recompile the package with pulseaudio support. (--enable-pulse)
this problem also affect the screen locking.

Now I am going to continue with the notes applet issue. (no bbcode tag?)

notes applet works now... maybe. update to version mate-applets 2011.12.20 (yes, I'm rolling)
AstroGeek

Post by AstroGeek »

Ok, I managed to get the power manager working. There were some packages which I hadn't updated yet because they weren't organized under Mate in synaptic. But updating them did the trick. Why can't Mint just stay on top of getting Mate stuff packaged for their repositories?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

AstroGeek wrote:Ok, I managed to get the power manager working. There were some packages which I hadn't updated yet because they weren't organized under Mate in synaptic. But updating them did the trick. Why can't Mint just stay on top of getting Mate stuff packaged for their repositories?
As one of the MATE developers stated previously, the packages in the MATE 'Tiridex' repositories are strictly experimental. These packages have also not gone through the Linux Mint vetting and QA process and they have also not been configured to be fully compatable with Linux Mint 12's MATE DE yet (in other words: they haven't been "Mintified"). For example, Mint Menu not working with the latest updates from Tridex. This process takes time of course, especially when 2 more Linux Mint editions are also being worked on right now (LM12 KDE and LM12 LXDE). The updates to LM 12's MATE will come in soon enough but not before all MATE updates are vetted and configured to work in LM12. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
stovenator

Post by stovenator »

perberos wrote:*using translator*

The multimedia keys problem was the lack of a flag in the package configuration mate-settings-daemon. (lol, I mess all code while searching this nonexistent bug)
I hope LinuxMint can recompile the package with pulseaudio support. (--enable-pulse)
this problem also affect the screen locking.

Now I am going to continue with the notes applet issue. (no bbcode tag?)

notes applet works now... maybe. update to version mate-applets 2011.12.20 (yes, I'm rolling)

I updated to the mate-settings-daemon 1.1.0-4 in the Tridex repositories, and the multimedia keys for volume control now works correctly!

The lock screen is closer to working. Ctrl-Alt-L gives me "Couldn't execute command: xscreensaver-command -lock Verify that this is a valid command.". When I click on "Lock Screen" from the Mint Menu, the screen does indeed lock now.
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

Hi all.

With latest mate-settings-daemon in tridex repository (1.1.0-4) we solved the keybinding issues:

- Media keys (requires pulseaudio package)
- Screensaver CTRL+ALT+L (requires mate-screensaver package)
stovenator

Post by stovenator »

stefano-k wrote:Hi all.

With latest mate-settings-daemon in tridex repository (1.1.0-4) we solved the keybinding issues:

- Media keys (requires pulseaudio package)
- Screensaver CTRL+ALT+L (requires mate-screensaver package)
Adding mate-screensaver (apt-get install mate-screensaver) fixed the lockscreen issue.
It also installs mate-power-manager, and it's now working as well!
stovenator

Post by stovenator »

kmb42vt wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:Ok, I managed to get the power manager working. There were some packages which I hadn't updated yet because they weren't organized under Mate in synaptic. But updating them did the trick. Why can't Mint just stay on top of getting Mate stuff packaged for their repositories?
As one of the MATE developers stated previously, the packages in the MATE 'Tiridex' repositories are strictly experimental. These packages have also not gone through the Linux Mint vetting and QA process and they have also not been configured to be fully compatable with Linux Mint 12's MATE DE yet (in other words: they haven't been "Mintified"). For example, Mint Menu not working with the latest updates from Tridex. This process takes time of course, especially when 2 more Linux Mint editions are also being worked on right now (LM12 KDE and LM12 LXDE). The updates to LM 12's MATE will come in soon enough but not before all MATE updates are vetted and configured to work in LM12. :D
The Mint Menu seems to be working fine for me with the Tridex repos right now.

And, I had to make sure that I chose Caja as the preferred application (System->Preferences->Preferred Applications, then choose System tab, and select "MATE file manager" under File Manager) .
PietroTux88

Post by PietroTux88 »

my name no longer appears to pannel on mate i have all applets but what missing? on xfce and gnome3 my name appear on panel always why on mate not appear?
stovenator

Post by stovenator »

PietroTux88 wrote:my name no longer appears to pannel on mate i have all applets but what missing? on xfce and gnome3 my name appear on panel always why on mate not appear?
It's because the mate-indicator-applet doesn't seem available in the repo right now. It looks like it's in the github source, but no package is available.

That, along with mate-menu-editor would be nice additions.

*edit* It appears alacarte is the mate-menu-editor (sudo apt-get install alacarte). Sweet.
thomas823

Post by thomas823 »

In my MATE-word the most annoying things are:
2. I have no system monitor applet (There are several less applet-programs than in LM 10)
yeah thats really annoying.. why has it been removed? any way to get it back?
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

thomas823 wrote:yeah thats really annoying.. why has it been removed? any way to get it back?
install mate-applets package
stovenator

Post by stovenator »

stefano-k wrote:
thomas823 wrote:yeah thats really annoying.. why has it been removed? any way to get it back?
install mate-applets package
Hrm. I don't see the indicator applet in mate-applets.

Return to “MATE”