Booting with the Linux Mint on a laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Booting with the Linux Mint on a laptop

Post by scorp123 »

Avenger wrote: Hi I burned the Linux Mint bea image onto a DVD
That's quite a waste of space there. The Linux Mint ISO's are only 650 MB and are intended to be used on 700 MB CD-R disks, not on 4.7 DVD disks. Just my opinion.
Avenger wrote: and when my laptop (nx 9000) ran, I had only the options of running linux mint live
That's where you install it from. You first boot into Live CD mode. There is an installer icon right there on the desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Avenger wrote: Well it appears that the reason why I didn't see any 'install' option is because my laptop is very slow,
Can you please post the specs of your machine?
Avenger wrote: I thought installing Linux would mean faster operation (XP was dauntingly sluggish)
Linux usually is way faster, but first of all you burned a CD *.iso image onto a DVD as you said and stuff running off a live CD is always slower than running it from a harddisk. Also: What's the size of your RAM? The more RAM the better.
Avenger wrote: Isn't there fluxbox built in? if so is there some way I could operate it to make fluxbox run?
You can install fluxbox, KDE, WindowMaker and whatever else you wish after the installation via "synaptic" (that's the name of the program and what you would type in a shell if ever you wanted to start it manually). You can easily reach the program via the "Preferences" menu: "Add / Remove Software".
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Avenger wrote: I have a 2 gigahertz Celeron and 256 ram,
Those 256 MB RAM are probably the cause of the slowness. I run Linux on a Compaq Evo N610c and that one too just has a 2 GHz Pentium-4M CPU; but it has 512 MB RAM and I am quite satisfied with the speed.
Avenger wrote: Perhaps I can install it without X somehow?
Ubuntu Alternate Install CD .... With Linux Mint: sorry, not that I know.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Avenger,

Linux Mint is probably not the best option for older specs hardware. You could give Xubuntu or Fluxbuntu a try and eventually add the bianca repository to them and benefit from some of the mint applications.

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Avenger wrote:Dude, you don't download linux so you could extend ram, you download linux because you don't want to extend your ram :P
That logic is flawed IMHO. Just because Linux could run with little RAM it doesn't mean that it has to and wouldn't know how to make very good use of more RAM if it were available in the system. Linux makes good use of RAM, e.g. it will use free RAM for additional disk caching and buffering. In the case of Live CD's such as Linux Mint and Ubuntu the system's RAM is used to create a RAM-disk to hold parts of the running system. Hence 256 MB RAM may be way too little for such a live CD, it constantly needs to read from the CD and hence everything will feel choppy and slow. More RAM is definitely useful.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

No, they're two different distributions. But their packages are compatible, so you can install Fluxbox, add the codecs to it (follow the Ubuntuguide for instance) and then add Bianca's packages on top of it all.

You'll end up with a great desktop, it won't be Linux Mint, but it'll be great all the same and more appropriate for your hardware spec.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

mintdesktop, mintconfig, mintmenu, mintdisk, mintwifi, mintartwork-bianca, envy, usplash-theme-bianca, murrine, flash.. etc.

Clem

Return to “Installation & Boot”