New Raspberry Pi ($25 and $35) Linux based computers

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
ASmith

New Raspberry Pi ($25 and $35) Linux based computers

Post by ASmith »

The Linux Mint Development team should line up to provide the New Raspberry Pi ($25 and $35 each) Linux based computers with the newest Linux Mint 12 distro as they near lift-off with a single credit card sized single computer motherboards.

Reference:
http://is.gd/MTff6r
mank_in

Re: New Raspberry Pi ($25 and $35) Linux based computers

Post by mank_in »

Linux Mint will not run on ARM processor :)
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

The Raspberry Pi is a device intended to stimulate the teaching of basic computer science in schools (from wikipedia) and for that purpose Debian is very good. Of course, if the the Raspberry Pi is a success some distros will target the device and Mint could do the same with a Debian based version with LXDE or some WM.

At the moment I think the Mint devs already have a lot to do, Mint 12 KDE, Mint 12 LXDE, Cinnamon, MATE, etc so I don't expect a Raspberry Pi version of Mint unless the device becomes a huge success and Clem decides to use the Raspberry Pi as a way to boost Mint.
ASmith

Post by ASmith »

The intelligence it took to place Apple II's for next to no cost in schools nationwide was a huge boost in generating the widespread adoption for the Apple OS as well as future Apple device acceptance and purchases. Thinking of pushing for a Mint based Linux OS would be good AFTER the new Raspberry Pi obtains a large following and acceptance is entirely contrary to the seeding process for success.

Raspberry's Pi potentially provides the foot in the door for millions of Linux Mint based OS to be adopted, used and reap the benefits of the applications written by students & educators, the added exposure and adoption for Mint.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

True, but the Mint team has already a lot in their hands, MATE, Cinnamon, Mint 12 KDE, Mint 12 LXDE, Mint MATE, Mint Fluxbox, the Gnome 3 edition of Mint Gnome3/Cinnamon Debian based, etc...

Before adding a new one, I think they should clean house but don't get me wrong, I would love to see a Raspberry Pi Mint Edition from the beginning as I am sure the Mint edition would be much better than the Debian LXDE version in both ease of utilization and eye candy.
ASmith

Post by ASmith »

Without any doubt, Linux is a clear winner via the Raspberry Pi offering as many new Linux apps will be written by new programmers and students who normally would not have had the access to a Linux OS based computer.

The early offering of 10 brand new Raspberry boards on eBay have been selling for 3,000 US dollars each, with 100% going to UK children's charity's. http://is.gd/D0uI8Z As noted previously the target prices for the Raspberry is 25 and 35 US dollars each depending on RAM size and USB port access.

Whichever Linux OS distro used by the Raspberry Pi will likely see a large influx of new applications which fully benefits that Linux OS distro as well as educate new users on a specific Linux OS distribution, hence the very reason I began this thread to point to the very large advantages in promoting a Linux Mint OS for the Raspberry Pi which could directly translate to a million downstream users and potentially thousands of new applications.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”