Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
reiga

Re: Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Post by reiga »

@zin

favorite-apps

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.cinnamon favorite-apps "['firefox.desktop','evolution.desktop','banshee.desktop','libreoffice-writer.desktop','nautilus.desktop']"
panel launchers

gsettings set org.cinnamon panel-launchers "['firefox.desktop','gnome-terminal.desktop','nautilus.desktop','evolution.desktop']"
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I was trying to get to the blog (blog.linuxmint.com) and typed in bog.linuxmint.com, and it turned out to be a website about cinnamon. I think that cinnamon.linuxmint.com is the official site. Has anyone else seen this site? There seem to be a number of comments on the news on the site, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it on the forums.
Edit: For some reason, everytime I type in something.linuxmint.com it shows the same page with cinnamon. Just tried comunity.linuxmint.com. The links on the page redirect to cinnamon.linuxmint.com
Edit 2: From what I can find on the download page, it seems that cinnamon is available for debian unstable and therefore it might make its way to LMDE in update pack four or five.
Last edited by cwwgateway on Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zin

Post by Zin »

@riega

Thanks for posting the code. I was missing the quotation marks when I did it before. Thanks again
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

carloss wrote:
raqua wrote:
carloss wrote:Suggestion: show the main menu by just hovering over its icon (lower left corner of the screen), so that we wouldn't need to click on it. That would be an even faster and easier operation.
And quite annoying if you accidentally move mouse there. I prefer the click.
The menu icon is located in a small confined area on the screen corner, so I think accidental activation would be rare or at least not an issue (unlike Unity launcher). Anyway, if not by default, I would like to have at least the ability to change the menu activation mode.

I know that this feature seems very subtle or even unnecessary, but trust me, it would make a huge difference.
I wouldn't object to the option to configure it that way, but I certainly would not want it that way be default. Originally on my Mint 12 just mousing over the Infinity Icon would switch it to what ever the the second view is called. It was extremely annoying. Whatever Clem does, it should not be a bunch of automatic bullshit that removes control from the end user. Click to launch may take more time, but it also puts you in charge of the computer, not the computer in charge of you. Nothing is worse than crap popping out that you did not intend to happen. That in fact is one of the "features" that makes Unity completely unusable. Now I just noticed that sometimes, but not all the time mousing over the Infinity Icon in MGSE will cause it to switch and I hate it.
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

On another subject, I just downloaded the latest Cinnamon Update and find it very exciting to see such a nice project taking shape. Unfortunately the Windows View / Workspaces view doesn't seem to work correctly. I dragged Nautilus from workspace 1 to workspace 2, but it doesn't show up in the overview of workspace 2 even though it is actually there. I don't know if this is an issue with Cinnamon or just crappy work by the Gnome 3 team. Somehow I suspect the latter.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

cwwgateway wrote:I was trying to get to the blog (blog.linuxmint.com) and typed in bog.linuxmint.com, and it turned out to be a website about cinnamon. I think that cinnamon.linuxmint.com is the official site. Has anyone else seen this site? There seem to be a number of comments on the news on the site, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it on the forums.
Edit: For some reason, everytime I type in something.linuxmint.com it shows the same page with cinnamon. Just tried comunity.linuxmint.com. The links on the page redirect to cinnamon.linuxmint.com
Edit 2: From what I can find on the download page, it seems that cinnamon is available for debian unstable and therefore it might make its way to LMDE in update pack four or five.
at first glance it looks like a legit site (but we never know nowadays), i would be more rested if/when Clem (here) talks about that site :)

- the other subject you mention (cinnamon in LMDE) i believe it will make its way to LMDE (just my personal opinion); Clem said several times that UP4 was waiting for gnome-shell3.2 to be available in testing so that MGSE could be ported to LMDE, and it seems that cinnamon is replacing and incorporating MGSE.

- about being available for sid, well, not really, or i'm missing something;
i tried and there's a few pkg cinnamon depends on that are not available in sid
http://pastebin.com/sqDvjdV7
http://pastebin.com/gSCaansS

and i have also to say that it's just getting better and better 8)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hey"00" :)

Also failing to install it here in either my LMDE/Testing-Gnome 3.0, or my LMDE/SID/Experimental-Gnome 3.2 with the packages from github.?

Getting.

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libecal1.2-10 (>= 3.2.2)
However, I do find I have a libecal-1.2-10 (3.2.2-1)installed?
[note the -(dash) difference] :?:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi Gene 8)
i would imagine that you were gonna try it as well :lol:
actually i just did after a request :mrgreen: but atm it doesn't look easy: some pkgs are missing, some are in the wrong v.. there's not one depend that installs clean in sid :shock:
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

zerozero wrote:hi Gene 8)
i would imagine that you were gonna try it as well :lol:
ABSOLUTELY! :lol:

I had gathered from the Cinnamon Web site download page
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?page_id=61
That it was available for Debian Unstable. I guess, not yet.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I really like Cinnamon and wanted to know if there is any way to theme the panel? It is so light that I'd love to darken it up a bit. Thanks :wink:
BlueSky77

Post by BlueSky77 »

Thanks for Cinnamon! I really think it's going to be the best option for me when it matures. I really like the single panel on the bottom look. I've been trying it in a virtualbox for several days now and here's a few things I'd like to see when Cinnamon matures...

1. Ability to right click on the panel and change properties, add applications, applets, etc...

2. Ability through the panel properties to change the color, auto hide options, size and most important... transparency of the panel. I like a very transparent panel and have set up my Gnome 2 desktop that way for years.

3. Some type of feedback when clicking on a launcher on the panel to show that it's been clicked (instead of just waiting for the app to launch). Like maybe some kind of animated push button type thing (as Gnome 2 had), so you know you clicked the launcher.

4. A weather applet for the panel.

5. The ability to move various aspects of the panel around (relocate the desktop switcher, etc...).

Basically I'd like the panel in Cinnamon to work very similar to the Gnome 2 panel. :)

I have a question... is there any way for me to adjust the transparency of the panel right now?

Thanks again for this and keep up the great work!
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

lurkatron wrote:didnt work,installed cinnamon and cinnamon-session
just left with a blank desktop + conky (and therefore reminds me of unity, difference is that i could rightclick and open a terminal and even type into it)
not sure why, maybe its tied in with gnome-shell and all the extensions ive got or something
The same thing happened to me a while ago (when installing in virtual box). Just happened to me again after I had installed it and it had been working fine. I installed mate and added compiz to the startup applications because compiz works in mate. This wasn't a problem in gnome shell because gnome shell doesn't use the same startup applications list, but it appears that cinnamon does. Therefore, compiz tried to start and cinnamon therefore couldn't start. If you log into mate or gnome classic and remove compiz from the startup list everything works fine.
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

t3g wrote:I know there are already too many desktop environments in the wild now, but why was Cinnamon created? I'm curious if the time and resources would be better spent into refining the Gnome Shell and its extensions in addition to MATE.
From what I see in Cinnamon, refining Gnome Shell (or at least Gnome3) is exactly what it is doing.
Battman1965

Post by Battman1965 »

Happy Christmas everyone!

I've been using Cinnamon for a few days and really like it. i do have a question though. i installed Cinnamon on my Virtual Box testbed and all looks correct, but I notice that when I installed in on my production system I have an extra icon in my menu which says "Debian".

It's not affecting performance, but i wondered why that might be the case.

Both times I used "sudo apt-get install cinnamon-session", but a different result.

Thanks.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

To install Cinnamon in Debian, try editing the dependencies in the control file (Ubuntu always change their names, otherwise people would just install 'their' apps on Debian).
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

has anyone attempted to try it out on mint9? i may try it on the netbook as its basically my testing machine
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

truexfan81 wrote:has anyone attempted to try it out on mint9? i may try it on the netbook as its basically my testing machine
Cinnamon is fork of Gnome-shell , an gnome-shell part of GNOME3. Mint 9 use Gnome 2.
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

mank_in wrote:
truexfan81 wrote:has anyone attempted to try it out on mint9? i may try it on the netbook as its basically my testing machine
Cinnamon is fork of Gnome-shell , an gnome-shell part of GNOME3. Mint 9 use Gnome 2.

hmm, may have to install mint12 on the netbook then :D
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Battman1965 wrote:Happy Christmas everyone!

I've been using Cinnamon for a few days and really like it. i do have a question though. i installed Cinnamon on my Virtual Box testbed and all looks correct, but I notice that when I installed in on my production system I have an extra icon in my menu which says "Debian".

It's not affecting performance, but i wondered why that might be the case.

Both times I used "sudo apt-get install cinnamon-session", but a different result.

Thanks.
I have debian in my menu, too. It is quite annoying because it contains a copy of every program, and when I search, for example, for synaptic, there are 2 entries for each item.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I installed alacarte via synaptic and deleted debian with that. When you open it and it will come up "main menu" under the "other" tab, click on debian and then you can delete what comes up in the right side of the box. :wink:

Return to “Cinnamon”