fastest ubuntu,debian distro

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gasolin

fastest ubuntu,debian distro

Post by gasolin »

I was thinking about which one of the ubuntu,debian distros is the fastest ? manly LMDE vs Debian because i was remembering that a debian based distro was fast and that my current distro lmde wasn't as fast as i remembered a debian based distro was, so mabye theres a speed difference between lmde and debian? I dont't no

So is it a clean ubuntu,debian distro or something like lmde, crushbang, pinguy or? and which de is the fastest kde,gnome,fluxbox,openbox,lxde or xfce on debian,ubuntu based distro ?

Some one on this linux mint forum said that debian xfce was so fast compared to lmde, that if he had to change to another distro he would choose debian xfce because of speed an he was thinking of using debian xfce because of the speed (but i guess he didn't switch because it takes sooo loooong time to configure debian compared to a distro like lmde mint)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: fastest ubuntu,debian distro

Post by nunol »

If you are going to compare LMDE (Gnome) with Crunchbang (Openbox) it's expected that Crunchbang is going to be faster.

Usually Gnome is slower than XFCE that is slower than LXDE that is slower than Fluxbox or Openbox.

Debian is usually faster than the same DE/WM with Ubuntu so LMDE should be faster than Mint 11. Also, Mint distros are usually more loaded with features than other distros with the same DE/WM so a distro like Debian XFCE or Crunchbang XFCE is faster than Mint XFCE.

So, if you want a fast Mint distro try Mint 9 Fluxbox, Mint 11 LXDE or Mint XFCE but don't expect them to be faster than Crunchbang with Openbox.
gasolin

Post by gasolin »

nunol wrote:If you are going to compare LMDE (Gnome) with Crunchbang (Openbox) it's expected that Crunchbang is going to be faster.

Usually Gnome is slower than XFCE that is slower than LXDE that is slower than Fluxbox or Openbox.

Debian is usually faster than the same DE/WM with Ubuntu so LMDE should be faster than Mint 11. Also, Mint distros are usually more loaded with features than other distros with the same DE/WM so a distro like Debian XFCE or Crunchbang XFCE is faster than Mint XFCE.

So, if you want a fast Mint distro try Mint 9 Fluxbox, Mint 11 LXDE or Mint XFCE but don't expect them to be faster than Crunchbang with Openbox.
Isn't crushbang also a bit bloated ? as far as i remember openbox isn't that easy to set up to how i like it, more easy with kde og gnome (had problems when i tried lubuntu and xubuntu)
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

nunol wrote:If you are going to compare ...
Where does E17 fit in? (Bodhi Linux is a good example of a fast, light distro.)
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

nunol' writing is right in every respect. Crunchbang is not bloated (do you know what "bloated" means ??), it's straight forward, simple yet functional. But if you have problems even with XFCE (Xubuntu) then stick with a bloated gnome desktop. A plain Debian Gnome will be relatively light on ressources.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Bob E wrote:Where does E17 fit in? (Bodhi Linux is a good example of a fast, light distro.)
Bodhi is a light distro, it uses a little more RAM than Crunchbang. Not everything is about less RAM usage and more speed, features, ease of use and eye candy are also important and E17 has some nice effects.

As a DE/WM, E17 uses more RAM than Fluxbox and Openbox but less than LXDE. You can install Debian or Arch CLI and then install a DE/WM and check de RAM utilization yourself. I did that here for Debian and a few DE/WM: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 49#p418549
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Thanks nunol. I see where you mentioned E17 on that link. I have Bodhi on a netbook with a 1.6 Atom, and it runs just as fast as a desktop install. Granted, I'm not going to do any rendering, but it's pretty snappy for everything else. (I bought it used and it had XP on it. After installing Bodhi, it was like going from a bicycle to a Bugatti Veyron.)
saneks

Post by saneks »

I am coming from crunchbang, I love it and use it on my main machines. after boot it takes roughly 50mb RAM on my eee701. It is a great distro for netbboks, because it is fast and responsive, Debian based and Openbox. 100% no bloat there, Openbox is not so hard to configure. you might need to get into some textfiles at some point, but you can configire it very precisely to your needs. every config file important has a link in the menu, I find it harder right now to do that with gnome, lol.

slitaz is even more fast, but has some issues sometimes. but def. cool for old machines with little RAM.
tomast

Post by tomast »

I just installed Debian Squeeze XFCE by way of debian-6.0.3-amd64-netinst.
I have to say it is the fastest by far of any of the full featured OS I have ever used.
It is using only less than 100 MB memory and everything is blazing fast. (Takes <10 seconds from Grub to Desktop ) :shock:
I think the next Mint XFCE should be based on Debain Squeeze and just dump Ubuntu all together.
I know they already make a rolling release of Debian XFCE but I prefer Stable over potentially Unstable.
I like the straight Debian XFCE but I really miss the Mint enhancements.
Last edited by tomast on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

While it isn't one of the two choices you wrote in your first post, IceWM is by far the quickest desktop to load that I've ever seen. It literally loaded in seconds.

Chris
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

tomast wrote:I just installed Debian Squeeze XFCE by way of debian-6.0.3-amd64-netinst.
I have to say it is the fastest by far of any of the full featured OS I have ever used.
It is using only less than 100 MB memory and everything is blazing fast. (Takes <10 seconds from Grub to Desktop ) :shock:
I think the next Mint XFCE should be based on Debain Squeeze and just dump Ubuntu all together.
I know they already make a rolling release of Debian XFCE but I prefer Stable over potentially Unstable.
Just get SalinOS and be done with it.
tomast

Post by tomast »

Murdock,
I had not heard of SalinOS before.
I will sure try it out. I'm looking at the download page now ;)
Thanks for the heads up.

Tomas T
zulfikar

Post by zulfikar »

If you talk about text based distros then most of them are very fast. depends on the kernel and also the services being loaded during boot.

As to the DE it will all depend on the weighty features of each DE. Comparing gnome with Xfce , then I find xfce faster.

To my understanding LMDE is a debian based edition, and I find it very quick and perfectly stable.
gasolin

Post by gasolin »

Murdock wrote:
tomast wrote:I just installed Debian Squeeze XFCE by way of debian-6.0.3-amd64-netinst.
Just get SalinOS and be done with it.

SalinOS just keept on ...........with my laptop. Installed it and choosed log in with password but when i wanted to type my password, there was no response
when i used my keyboard. It looked good and felt fast............. now i am lost don't no what to try (have tried peppermint,pinguy,mint 12mate,mint 9 xfce lts),
Xfce just makes me have this anoying problem that i have to install pulsaudio and the i canøt adjust my sound with my volume biútton (fn+ f11 or f11, touch display or on nmy usb soundcard, only way to adjust my sound ist to open the control panel related to my sound)

Other then that i like xfce and felel that mint, salinOS is fast with xfce
Goer

Post by Goer »

Hi all. I hv Mint10, Elive2 and latest Mepis in multi-boot. And Mint XFCE on my lappy.
Yes, it would be so good to have an 'EnlightenMint' :)
But, instead of reinventing the wheel, why don't we just utilize the good ideas for other successfu distros? eg. Elive2 is just great....but unsupported, and maybe doomed to die :( I think the Mint supporters/developers should approach Thanatermesis at Elive and collaborate with him to come up with a truly superb distro EnlightenMint. It would be all one would need! Well........?
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

Goer wrote:Hi all. I hv Mint10, Elive2 and latest Mepis in multi-boot. And Mint XFCE on my lappy.
Yes, it would be so good to have an 'EnlightenMint' :)
But, instead of reinventing the wheel, why don't we just utilize the good ideas for other successfu distros? eg. Elive2 is just great....but unsupported, and maybe doomed to die :( I think the Mint supporters/developers should approach Thanatermesis at Elive and collaborate with him to come up with a truly superb distro EnlightenMint. It would be all one would need! Well........?
Have you taken a look at Bodhi? They are working pretty hard to provide a user friendly Enlightenment 17 distro:

http://www.bodhilinux.com/

Hawkeye
tomast

Post by tomast »

Ikey,
I have to agree with you about that as long as it is Gnome 2

I really like the stability of Squeeze and I was just looking at different OS and Desktops because of wanting to stay away from Gnome 3.
I don't care one bit about the latest and greatest software, I just want my Comp. to be reliable and act the way I expect it to.
I have really grown used to Gnome 2 and as long as I can run it , I'm gonna. :)

I'm really looking forward to the finished version of SolusOS !
I just hope you're gonna soon make a x64 version once you get everything ironed out.
So glad that you've chosen to base on Stable and not testing. Maybe I'll finally be able to upgrade from Mint 7 ;)
sanda

Post by sanda »

Specific to Xfce... "stable" == stale

SalineOS v6.1 just released a few days ago. Its users, along with those of any other xfce-flavored "debian stable" distro, are relegated to using xfce v4.6.2 which reflects the state of of the xfce project waaaaaay back in May 2010
http://www.xfce.org/about/news

Since November, my Mint.Debian.Xfce sources.list has pointed to debian testing repo.
Across many of the apps I use, I've discovered significant improvements in app versions released by the authors "many months ago" which have indeed been packaged for debian... yet are only available via the Sid(unstable) repository.

What other constraints does "stable" impose? Hmm, Firefox v3.6, a Linux kernel from (?) 2009...
sanda

Post by sanda »

It is using only less than 100 MB memory and everything is blazing fast.
Full-featured? Sorry, I can't believe that.
Session + xfce + necessary (to qualify as "full-featured") xfce panel launchers/plugins pushes WELL over 100Mb.

Regarding boot times, if I forego sound modules and disable startup daemons... gee, I can achieve a 10 second boot.
Yawn.
claudecat

Post by claudecat »

Crunchbang is by far the fastest/lightest of all above mentioned, but at the expense of looking and feeling rather blah... Bohdi is a nice lean 'buntu with a decent look and feel (best plymouth theme ever!). If you want eye candy AND speed, nothing beats Macpup installed to a hd... less than 10 seconds from grub to Firefox loaded and ready to go, and really cool Enlightenment theming. The usual Puppy linux oddities of package management and running as root though.

Return to “Chat about Linux”