Stuck in upgrade

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Stuck in upgrade

Post by Pythzor »

I'm trying my best to upgrade my LMDE from the command line. Right now, the terminal is stuck (I guess) at the end of a changelog. How do I make it get on with the upgrade.

After setting here for a couple of hours of downloading, I'm very frustrated. This is fresh install. I had LMDE installed on this computer about eight months ago and ran into this same problem and ended up installing another os in it's place. I had forgotten about.

Somebody please tell me what to do.

randall@lmde ~ $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for randall:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for randall:
Processing triggers for man-db ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of locales:
locales depends on glibc-2.13-1; however:
Package glibc-2.13-1 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
locales
randall@lmde ~ $
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

<SOLVED> Re: Stuck in upgrade

Post by Pythzor »

Last edited by Pythzor on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Stuck in upgrade

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

Hello, all,

I just bought a refurbished computer [AMD Athlon(tm) 64 2X Dual Core Processor 4400+, 2.3 GHz, nVidia Quadro NVS 210S, 2GB, 750 GB hdd]. I've burned a fresh LMDE 201109 dvd and it is presently updating (with the update manager). Once again (as in an earlier post in this thread), the terminal output looks to be stuck in a changelog. Here's a screenshot. Do I just wait and the update will finish without further terminal output? Or what?

I have another 2 GBs of ram that I haven't installed until I decide for sure whether I want to keep this computer. I don't know whether it has hardware virtualization enabled or not. I don't remember the bios version, but it's something less that 2.2.5. I saw on another forum that the Bios verison 2.2.5 has hardware virtualization enabled by default (but that there's no mention of it in the bios set-up). The enclosed Screenshot-2.png seems to imply that this computer presently does have hardware virtualization, but that's not what I've seen elsewhere. I suppose I could just install Virtualbox and see if I can enable more than one processor (and if so, then I think that will imply that, yes, I do have hardware virtualization). But I think I need for updating to finish first.

Any comments will be appreciated.
asermax

Post by asermax »

Weird, i have never encountered this changelog screen when updating, either through apt-get or some GUI...
Anyway, for the ":" at the end of the terminal output, i would say that the interface is pretty much the same used on man or vim, you could try pressing "q" and then <Enter> to see if it exits the changelog and continues with the update
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

<SOVED> Re: Stuck in upgrade

Post by Pythzor »

Thank you for responding.

After I got impatient, and the window wouldn't close and there didn't seem to be any progress, I restarted the system. From there, I went to synaptic package manager>settings>preferences>general and unticked the "Apply changes in terminal window" box (see screenshot). I generally apply that option so that I can follow along with what's going on while synaptic is doing its thing. I thought that maybe update manager would bypass getting stuck in the changelog if I didn't ennable the terminal window.

I tried update manager again. Appareantly, all the packages had downloaded about half of the updates had been applied before update manager got stuck in changelog. Things proceeded okay for a while until something having to do with gstreamer (lame?) tried to overwrite something else pertaining to gstreamer and then everything stopped again. I was able to close update manager with a killall command, though. While still in the terminal, I used sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade to finish the upgrade. I suppose all is well.

Thank you.

Return to “LMDE Archive”