recommendations for a File Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
white stone

recommendations for a File Manager

Post by white stone »

Hope some of you will be able to recommend a file manager.

I want to be able to see all the drives with their names dev/sda, dev/sda2, dev/sda3, dev/sda4, dev/sda5 and so forth.

I am able to access the folders but without being able to see the actual partition designation I can not be certain of which distro I am viewing. Hope you understand what I am saying.

If I look up and see I am in /etc I want to know which partition that 'etc' is in.

I have downloaded a couple of file managers that are too much for me to digest. Something simple and clear is all I need.

Thanks,
white stone
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: recommendations for a File Manager

Post by richyrich »

Don't know if this will work for you , but may be something you might want to try . . ?

Mint 12 :
Nautilus -> Edit -> Preferences -> Display tab -> Icon Captions . . try using the Location caption from one of the drop-down lists.
(yes, it works on folders too)
white stone

Post by white stone »

Thanks for your reply Richey,

Sorry to say that is not what I want.

What I want is a file manager that reads/displays like gparted, and allows access to the files.

I hate to say this but Windows DIsk Manager does this in it's own handicapped way.

I just went into Disk Utility and relabeled my partitions. That made a mess. I will be back later if I can figure out how to straighten out what I did and what it caused.

WS
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

Normally when you crteate a partition in Linux the "label" is left blank. Using GPartEd you can name (of your own choice) a label to a partition.
With Linux Mint's default Nautilus , the left side panel will show a label that you have created.
Some time you might tray " Krusader " which file-manager has some special features.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

GParted has a tool for renaming hard drives: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#19 . Pcmanfm lists all hard drives, partitions and bookmarks in an index on the left side with whatever name you give them. What else is there?
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

Try rox-filer
white stone

Post by white stone »

Thank you, all!

That is a long list of programs to try out. It should keep me busy for a while. That is just what I need, be back once I have gone through them.

white stone

Return to “Beginner Questions”