Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
viking777

Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by viking777 »

I am not trying to sell anything, or buy anything, as I already have a 7" tablet, but I saw this today and the price is astonishing (no wonder just about everyone has sold out of them).

( And to those of you who say that a 7" tablet is too small, well you are wrong, it is actually too big, 6" would be the ideal size but nobody makes one, 10" is just a joke in my opinion.)

Here are a couple of links about it.
http://www.dabs.com/products/storage-op ... cel&src=16
http://fwd.channel5.com/gadgets/scroll-excel

I wish I needed one - I would put my name on the waiting list right now!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gn2

Re: Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by gn2 »

Maybe this will tempt you more..... linky :twisted:

(in the voice of Mrs Doyle)
Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on :lol:

How can you not at just £70...?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Both of those tablets only have Android 2.x which is not designed for tablets. Ok they work but are using old tech to keep the price down and tempt buyers, the Essential even has a 'resistive' screen which won't make it particularly touch friendly. Personally I would prefer to wait until Android 4 starts to appear on more tablets.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

@gn2

Ahhh that is just obscene :lol:
In the words of Father Jack - Feck!
steev

Post by steev »

The first one looks like it may be a rebranded UTV210.

If that's the case we are working on Honeycomb and ICS ports that should run on it.

They really are great tablets for the price.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

gn2 wrote:Maybe this will tempt you more..... linky :twisted:

(in the voice of Mrs Doyle)
Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on :lol:

How can you not at just £70...?
Mrs. Doyle won.

Not for me, for my wife. She was looking to buy a replacement for her broken e-reader. So she has got an almost full blown tablet with e-reader built in for the price of an e-reader alone - can't be bad. Not only that but with a bit of extra storage we should be able to grab HD programs off of BBC iplayer and pipe them out through our TV if we want to - something my tablet can't do and it cost 4x as much :?
gn2

Post by gn2 »

Mrs. Doyle knows her kit and a good bargain when she sees one!
And such a persuasive manner too! :lol:

I have one of these and get_iplayer for the TV malarkey.
karliet

Post by karliet »

Here's one thing to take into account. is it Chinese? if it was manufactured in china and uses the Android OS you will not have access to the android market (as well as netflix)....Well thats not entirely true, you have access to the chinese android market but unless you both speak and can spell in chinese perfectly its very hard to use. Make sure you do a lot of research on every aspect of the tablet and if you see a tablet that is named sylvania avoid it like the plague.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

karliet wrote:Here's one thing to take into account. is it Chinese? if it was manufactured in china and uses the Android OS you will not have access to the android market (as well as netflix)....Well thats not entirely true, you have access to the chinese android market but unless you both speak and can spell in chinese perfectly its very hard to use. Make sure you do a lot of research on every aspect of the tablet and if you see a tablet that is named sylvania avoid it like the plague.
I did look at that problem but then I read this comment on the 'Gadget Show' website (from a UK user).

Code: Select all

Managed to get this from Hughes Direct (£130). Was hard to find due to the Gadget Show, lol. Works perfectly fine. Regarding the whole Android Market thing...I did read that in the manual, however, it gives you the option for the Android Market Widget, on it. Have downloaded a few apps from AM and they work fine, so no real issue. It also is set-up for other app links, so has a lot of options. 
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

These tablets do not make a good replacement for an eReader. Even the beautiful Kindle Fire is not a good replacement for the standard monochrome Kindles. We have both Kindles in our family, and reading a book is much more eye strain on the backlit color version. If you are just reading short documents, this probably doesn't matter.

For a tablet, the Excell looks like a bargain. It has a capacitive touch screen, which is absolutely necessary, in my opinion. The Essential has a resistive screen. They are frustrating to use, and I would not want one at any price.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

waldo wrote:These tablets do not make a good replacement for an eReader. Even the beautiful Kindle Fire is not a good replacement for the standard monochrome Kindles. We have both Kindles in our family, and reading a book is much more eye strain on the backlit color version. If you are just reading short documents, this probably doesn't matter.

For a tablet, the Excell looks like a bargain. It has a capacitive touch screen, which is absolutely necessary, in my opinion. The Essential has a resistive screen. They are frustrating to use, and I would not want one at any price.
I don't quite agree with the first part of your post there waldo. I used to have a standalone book reader but now I read all my books on a tablet. The book reader does have some advantages I grant you - it doesn't need charging up anywhere near as often as a tablet does and you can easily read it outdoors. The disadvantages are you can't read it in a dimly lit room and it doesn't perform any other function, whereas a tablet performs dozens of other tricks. I have never noticed any eye strain problems, and on balance I would never go back to a standalone e-reader again, at least not whilst you can get tablet pc's for that price!

Return to “Open Chat”