Existing Operating System Not Detected (solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rohr

Existing Operating System Not Detected (solved)

Post by rohr »

I am attempting to install Linux Mint 12 on my mac, but I want to keep OS Lion. But the installer indicates that it does not detect an existing operating system, and only gives me two options: erase the disk and install Linux, or create and resize partitions myself.

How can I make it so that the installer detects my current operating system so that I may install Linux Mint alongside it?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
germanix

Re: Existing Operating System Not Detected

Post by germanix »

This link will explain all. Have fun.
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linu ... 34826.aspx
hefff

Post by hefff »

when u go to create/resiste parts by urself there u must see the already created ones from u mac.
badguy_goodguy

Post by badguy_goodguy »

It is not necesary for it to be detected. After you install the Linux Mint use Grub in order to make the partition with the others OS bootable.
rohr

Post by rohr »

Thanks for the replies!

I installed rEFIt, thank you for the link. Now the Linux installer does detect my Mac os, but when it comes time to allocate drive space, it still only gives me two options: replace OS X with Linux, or create and resize partitions myself. It does not give me the third option depicted in the Introduction to Linux Mint guide on page 13 of the pdf, which is to install Linux alongside the existing operating systems: http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... h_11.0.pdf

I do not wish to erase my current os, and the guide mentions that the option to resize and create partitions is only recommended to those advanced users who already have an understanding of how partitions work under Linux (as a Linux noob, I don't have that understanding).

I already created a partition in Disk Utility before attempting to install, can anyone help?
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Just 2 cents ... If you have no freespace on the harddrive, that's likely your trouble. Mint's installer can't install alongside, if it has nowhere to install to.

(afterthought) Did you read that link germanix posted ? I didn't, well skimmed it just now out of curiousity. So if you have and followed it ... to which step ? Also hope you noted that it tells folks to install grub2 to LM's own partition, not the sda(mbr) of the hdd ? Never really kept up on Mac, so really don't know about dual bootin gnu/nix w it. Just thought an obvious reason why you wouldn't get an install alongside option would be a full hdd. Either way ... do your homework and am sure it'll work out.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tomast

Post by tomast »

Just do it manually and when the partitioner comes up right click on the partition you created then "Edit Partition" and choose "Use as Ext4" and mount as /
You will need at least 10+ GB of space on the partition for Mint. ( I always make it 20+ GB )
Also you will need to create a small partition for Swap. ( About the same as the amount of RAM memory you have )
Just be very sure not to overwrite the existing OS partition !
rohr

Post by rohr »

lmintnewb wrote:Just 2 cents ... If you have no freespace on the harddrive, that's likely your trouble. Mint's installer can't install alongside, if it has nowhere to install to.

(afterthought) Did you read that link germanix posted ? I didn't, well skimmed it just now out of curiousity. So if you have and followed it ... to which step ? Also hope you noted that it tells folks to install grub2 to LM's own partition, not the sda(mbr) of the hdd ? Never really kept up on Mac, so really don't know about dual bootin gnu/nix w it. Just thought an obvious reason why you wouldn't get an install alongside option would be a full hdd. Either way ... do your homework and am sure it'll work out.
I have verified that there is enough free space for the installation.

I read the entire article from the link germanix provided. I did the first step, which is to install a boot manager so that I may be able to choose which os I would like to boot into upon powering on. It then tells you to create a partition using Boot Camp, which I was unable to do due to the fact that the application was designed to install Windows, and it would not let me create a partition without first downloading Windows. Instead, I created a partition using Disk Utility. I set aside 80 GB and assigned the partition the name "Linux Mint". It then instructs me to install Linux Mint. This is the stage I'm stuck on because the Mint installer does not give me the option to install alongside my existing os (yet, the instruction guide I linked indicates that it should give me that option). Perhaps I didn't create the partition properly?
tomast wrote: Just do it manually and when the partitioner comes up right click on the partition you created then "Edit Partition" and choose "Use as Ext4" and mount as /
You will need at least 10+ GB of space on the partition for Mint. ( I always make it 20+ GB )
Also you will need to create a small partition for Swap. ( About the same as the amount of RAM memory you have )
Just be very sure not to overwrite the existing OS partition !
So, I must create two partitions? Oh, jeez... :oops:
hefff

Post by hefff »

From @Aging Technogeek
In fact, you do not really need anything besides a /(root) partition but it is nice to install a /home partition if you have the room. This will save your personal data and configuration files if the system crashes.
so if u want 80GB for all the system, try some few gb swap primary depends on ur ram, "/" - root 20gb ext4 primary, /home XXXgb ext4 logical. I saw some put swap at end of mount points but not sure really. Also my bootloader is setted in the root partiotion.
tomast

Post by tomast »

You do not really need anything besides a /(root) partition and a Swap partition.

Wish I could be more help but I have Zero experience with Mac.
Hopefully someone with Mac experience will offer some help.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Hmmm, well ... if at 1st you don't succeed, read this. :D

Mentioned am not up on dual bootin gnu/nix +mac, but that how to looked good to me and seems to cover the parts you're missing or unsure of. It's from 09 though ... Still looked like something someone wanting to dual boot these 2 OS's would want to look over. When you run the Mint installer, it should set up a swap partition on its own in the free space you create according to that how to link. Along with a / root partition. You shouldn't have to do much of anything manually.

btw: This looked like another good how to on the subject of gnu/nix + mac ( also from 09' ). No mac support on the Mint forums ?! Hmph n bah humbug ! D: ... Link. Also ubuntu is actually a remote African dialect's word for that crusty stuff that builds up between a persons toes if they don't wash their feet for a long time, lol. Imo anyway ...
rohr

Post by rohr »

Well, I burned another dvd and tried again.

And... it worked just fine. The installer gave me the third option to install Linux alongside my Mac os where previously it hadn't. :?

Thanks, y'all.

Return to “Beginner Questions”