Mint 12 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Post by craig10x »

BubbaBlues...that was kubuntu which uses muon...wasn't too crazy about it....thought the previous kpackagekit was better...yep...i know mint kde use synaptic package manager which is the best i have found...and that is a gnome program of course... Mint kde does kind of add some extra smoothness and goodness and features (including gnome stuff) to the basic Kubuntu so i can understand why kde users would be fond of it... :wink:

Actually, i like Amarok...but have a "fondness" for rhythmbox...it's a bit simpler interface and i like it's basic sound (even though it doesn't have an equalizer)...
K3b is outstanding and runs rings around brasero...i always install it on mint mint main edition...and yes k9copy, kdenlive among others are excellent as well...
For messenger, i do prefer pidgin over kopete...and actually, mail-wise, i recently began to just use my web based gmail with the chrome gmail notifier exclusively instead of using any software e-mail program...k-mail is ok...but even on kde, i had preferred to use my Evolution Mail...

There are kde programs that run rings around the gnome ones...but the reverse is also true, Bubba...For example, i like both totem movie player, gnome- m player better then dragon player...but i also very much like vlc media player which IS a QT program...but that is multi-platform not just kde.... :)

That is why it's great that kde programs can be installed in gnome and gnome programs can be installed in kde...that way....you can get the best of BOTH...
I am using Mint 12 main edition now and very much like the direction Clem is going with Cinnamon...it's my main session on here now and it doesn't have all the features yet...that is how much i am enjoying it...

Good luck with mint kde12 no doubt the RC will be out soon...they just have to finish testing the 64 bit and then do the 32 bit iso in the testing...
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

craig10x wrote:BubbaBlues...that was kubuntu which uses muon...wasn't too crazy about it....thought the previous kpackagekit was better...yep...i know mint kde use synaptic package manager which is the best i have found...and that is a gnome program of course... Mint kde does kind of add some extra smoothness and goodness and features (including gnome stuff) to the basic Kubuntu so i can understand why kde users would be fond of it... :wink:

Actually, i like Amarok...but have a "fondness" for rhythmbox...it's a bit simpler interface and i like it's basic sound (even though it doesn't have an equalizer)...
K3b is outstanding and runs rings around brasero...i always install it on mint mint main edition...and yes k9copy, kdenlive among others are excellent as well...
For messenger, i do prefer pidgin over kopete...and actually, mail-wise, i recently began to just use my web based gmail with the chrome gmail notifier exclusively instead of using any software e-mail program...k-mail is ok...but even on kde, i had preferred to use my Evolution Mail...

There are kde programs that run rings around the gnome ones...but the reverse is also true, Bubba...For example, i like both totem movie player, gnome- m player better then dragon player...but i also very much like vlc media player which IS a QT program...but that is multi-platform not just kde.... :)

That is why it's great that kde programs can be installed in gnome and gnome programs can be installed in kde...that way....you can get the best of BOTH...
I am using Mint 12 main edition now and very much like the direction Clem is going with Cinnamon...it's my main session on here now and it doesn't have all the features yet...that is how much i am enjoying it...

Good luck with mint kde12 no doubt the RC will be out soon...they just have to finish testing the 64 bit and then do the 32 bit iso in the testing...
I agree with you on all of that, except I don't use evolution or kmail. I only use thunderbird because it has everything I want and is very
easy to set up for pop3 mail accounts as well as web base email. I can check my pop3 account and my hotmail account at the same time
with the same application. I don't know that it's better, but for me it is just what I want. :wink:
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

I have used both, Evolution and Thunderbird, but since I use KDE I use Thunderbird only because it looks so much better than Evolution in a KDE environment. Evolution has one gigantic advantage though and that is it can talk with an MS Exchange server using the MS MAPI protocol. I wish Thunderbird would get that as well. The company I work for uses the exchange server and since I never work from the office I have to check my mail using an OWA webpage, which is so 90's. Evolution can handle it well, it looks as if there is no difference with using Outlook.
I started using KDE when Gnome decided to kill Gnome and I am loving it. Wished I had done that much earlier.
disciple1964

Post by disciple1964 »

I would like to make some comments on the issue of a KDE version of mint. First of all Craig10x, I think you need to take some time and back off and think about how you come across to users of mint. First of all, There would be no "complaining" if the KDE version was given as much time as gnome development has received. The best part about linux is the choice it provides on which desktop you want to use, being such, there should not be a gnome is better than KDE or KDE is better than gnome attitude. If that is what you stating by telling everyone that if they don't like the fact that KDE is not being developed as equal as gnome, they can go elsewhere, Then I would see that as unprofessional and may hurt when it comes to donors. Most complaints are because KDE was promised way back in August and now the testing is just at 94% and this is 2012.

Just like you want to use a close to pure version of gnome, KDE users want to use a close to pure version of KDE, Yes you can install gnome and then put KDE-full on it, but that is not really what is wanted. KDE users know they can go to another distro, but they believe in Mint, and by telling them you have to wait until we decide it is worth our time to produce a version of the distro for KDE users to me is just ridiculous. You are also telling them that their time to support Linux Mint is unwelcome and is wasted. To me that attitude is just like Bill Gates and Microsoft, You take what we tell you is good for you and if it is not according to our likes, then we will do whatever is necessary to stop development because we are the bosses and you are the slaves, so just shut your mouth and be happy with what you get.

I am sure software development is not easy, as I work around a lot of developers, but I also know their attitudes is " I am god" so you have to bow to me, and that usually cost them in the end. Everyone wants what is comfortable for them, so please keep that in mind the next time the words " if you don't like it, then go somewhere else" While people may not pay for linux, if they stop using a distro, it could spell death for that distro.
ferri

Post by ferri »

@disciple1964
Very good. :D
I agree with you at all.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

@ disciple1964: just to clarify...i appreciate your comments but think you misunderstand me...i never said that kde at mint should be ignored or abandoned...but what i think some of you don't get is that there has been a whole host of things happening at mint that caused delays...like boo dropping out, like the big changeover in gnome 3 from gnome 2 which was a drastically more radical change then you experienced going from kde3 to kde4 which made it necessary for Clem to re-arrange certain priorities and get involved with some very time consuming developing that would normally not be going on...

While i appreciate that the posters on this thread like the mint version of kubuntu (i think it's very nice myself even though i don't use it) but when you have a distro where like 85% of the users either use main edition or lmde (75% main 10% additional on lmde) then, like it or not, it shouldn't be that surprising that gnome would be the priority..at least until those matters were straightened out...which they have been...thus the resumption of putting out mint kde 12 which is now on the way...

Take a distro like PcLinuxOs where the situation is just the opposite...KDE is the main used version...in fact, the gnome version over there seems to be almost forgotten about...they said they would be coming forth with a gnome 3 version and like nothing seems to be going on over there for the LONGEST time...but over there one cannot vent about such things...at least here in the mint forum, you are allowed to do so...Over at PcLinuxOs they concentrate on the kde version and if the gnome version gets kicked back...well that is just the way it is...And i would expect it over there because kde IS the main used version...i may not like it but i respect that decision...

I think the difference is your are narrowly "focused" on mint kde...where as i am looking at the "big picture" as it were :wink:

Also, for awhile, Clem had practically no help at all...but now (from what i read) he has one other full time paid developer and a third (temporary) developer working with him, and this undoubtedly helped to get things back "on track" again...I can understand your disappointment in all the delays...but what you need to respect is sometime decisions have to made as they are...it would be worse if Clem didn't straighten out the gnome mess as he would have the potential of losing 85% of his base instead of the 10% or so of mint users that prefer the kde version...so sometimes difficult decisions like that just HAVE to be made...and you need to respect the reasoning behind it...
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

craig10x wrote:...
I'm not going to comment on this thread anymore..will leave it to you kde fanboy complainers :lol: ...
:)

Chris
manny

Post by manny »

@Jonathan Spearman

Thank you very much Jonathan, thank you. You described exactly what I wanted to say all this time. The arrogance shown by Craig and others annoyed me to the point that I abandoned LM and canceled my small sponsorship. However, the silence from a LM spokesperson disqualifying Craig's arguments created this negative environment in this forum. To bad this release is coming to late for lots of us, LM will need to prove itself in the future that is a trusted distro when it comes to KDE. By the way, I was primary a Gnome user till they dropped the ball.

Thanks Jonathan, messages like yours was much needed in here.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I don't know, folks, to me it's quite simple. Linux Mint is and has always been a GNOME distro first. Things happened. and they had to focus on the GNOME releases. It isn't a perfect world, right? I'm not trying to be arrogant, just being realistic. The KDE version has been delayed. There are only, what, 3 full-time developers? Sometimes you just can't satisfy everyone. If you don't like the situation, do what you have to do, nobody's gonna be crying crocodile tears if you decide to move on to another distro -- I myself am not currently using Mint (for other reasons) but so what, nobody cares which distro I use, right?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Malspa...on this thread, they call "arrogant" anyone who disagrees with their philosophy which is kde is better then gnome and that in fact most of them seem to feel that LM should be exclusively a kde distro and should drop gnome and all other versions to concentrate EXCLUSIVELY on their "baby" as it were...

When they make nasty comments about gnome...that is not arrogant in their minds...but when we point out the facts, such as that LM is and will always be a primarily gnome distro and that is it's biggest user base, well that just doesn't sit well with them and they go on the "attack" :roll:

We can't ever get the message across to them...we would probably be more productive talking to the nearest "wall" :wink:
They could care less what happens with gnome or about the rather dramatic upheaval it has just gone through...their ONLY concern is three letters and that is K D E...
end of story... :roll:
Last edited by craig10x on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

Daboo wrote:
I'm not going to comment on this thread anymore..will leave it to you kde fanboy complainers :lol: ...

Chris
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Daboo wrote:
Daboo wrote:

Chris
I only stuck around a little longer because i thought there might be some hope here to reason a bit with some of you...but i can see that most (not all) here are pretty hopeless...so i won't waste any more time on the thread...bubba is ok though...most of the rest...laughable :lol:
Malspa also made some great points...but i am afraid he is "banging his head against the wall" here too....
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

craig10x wrote:I only stuck around a little longer because i thought there might be some hope here to reason a bit with some of you...but i can see that most (not all) here are pretty hopeless...so i won't waste any more time on the thread...bubba is ok though...most of the rest...laughable :lol:
Malspa also made some great points...but i am afraid he is "banging his head against the wall" here too....
Bye :D
nico

Post by nico »

Forgive me, but I'm not to accept these tones in a blog devoted to the whole community.
Let me clarify that I'm not a fan of kde with absolutely no brain, so much so that on my desktop I'm using LM KDE 10 together with Kubuntu 11.10, but on my laptop's Katya Main, of which I'm happy and proud and i am pretty sure that everybody here is not so blind not to undestand what the point is.
In my opinion this is not to defend to the hilt a DE rather than another, but simply to point out that a willful deafness to even a small fraction of users (including, yes, there are also donors) , threatens the entire distribution. We do not care to behave as others do, but everyone here, and I repeat everyone, cares only the success and development of Linux Mint, regardless of our personal preferences.
I urge you all to tone down the discussion, I am the first to apologize if I had a contribution to stir up the flame, and to wait with serenity the promise that was made last summer.
Anger Does not Pay

Nico
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Peace :wink:
zulfikar

Post by zulfikar »

I have both KDE-full and gnome but I use gnome 2 more often. KDE has a much fancier look.
colyn

Post by colyn »

I prefer KDE and think Gnome is lacking but I also recognize that everybody has their own preferences so bickering about which is better is a complete waste of time and only gets people mad at each other. Neither is better as a whole. It depends on each person's needs that determines which is better for that person...

As for me KDE is better for what I do. Others................Gnome, or XFCE, or LXDE, or other DE is better so all of the bickering here is childish. Maybe you people should start acting like grownups instead of little kids...........

As for the troll craig10x.....why don't you go to the Gnome forum and leave the KDE forum since you don't use KDE. You seem to be the problem here..
disciple1964

Post by disciple1964 »

Nico,

You have made a valid point, I also feel the same way, What bothers me the most is that, if a person says he doesn't like something, or that someone should keep their word, they are told to shut up, quit whining, and are basically told they are ignorant, stupid and other names. The second part is no matter what the majority is, if you are going to produce a product, then put just as much into it as anything else you are doing.

I will restate, the reason for all the complaining and whining is because something was promised at a certain time, and it was never delivered. Now if this was a money making business, would you tell your customers to shut up, because their expectations were set and then pushed aside because other customers were more important?. I realize that the KDE version will eventually be released, but don't disrespect others because you feel their input is not relevant.

For what it is worth, I started out using gnome since version 6 of LM, Up to a few weeks ago I decided that KDE was a more comfortable platform. I have had on my system LMDE, which was very stable, but I don't like the fact that its software was always version or two behind everyone else. The reason that the one or two percent of KDE users are voicing their opinions, is because they believe and love LM and want to get the best KDE version they can.

Yes, they can go to other distro's, which if I were the people in charge of LM, I would quickly tell those who make statements such as " go somewhere else" that they should not speak for LM in that manner, and if a post bothers them to just not respond. After all, everyone is entitled to speak their mind.

To those who say that LM is a gnome based distro above everything else, Then maybe LM after this version of KDE comes out, should let everyone know that from this point on, it will only produce a gnome version and this way those who want KDE can decide what they want to do and their won't be " complaining or whining " to worry about. Their won't be any drain on resources and development can focus just on one platform. Just a suggestion.

Personally, I will recommend LM to anyone that wants to use linux, regardless of gnome or kde or any of the other desktops, The distro itself is put together in a way that makes linux fun to use. I think everyone should read these post and learn what not to say or do, and above all, if you take a post personally, or personally attack someone in a post, Then maybe you should take a look at yourself and ask " if someone said that to me, would I be offended or take it personally " Then respond in a civil manner.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I have used kde and it's ok and i know there are those that prefer it... but i prefer gnome myself...demus and some of the others here were the ones that were viciously attacking gnome and what Clem is doing to make the gnome 3 experience much better for those of us who prefer gnome and they were saying what a waste of time it was...he is doing an absolutely marvelous job with Cinnamon...it just keeps getting better and gets more features with each release and is already becoming very popular on other distros like ubuntu, fedora, etc etc...I knew what Clem was doing would pay off...sorry if you kde fans felt you were being slighted but it was kind of necessary and as i said...it paid off big time...and certainly was FAR from a waste of time...but rather extremely PRODUCTIVE...

So, i leave you in peace...and i am not trolling either nor was i...when i got vicious in my responses it was only to show them how immature and stupid it sounds...but i don't think the message got through, unfortunately...

So i go in peace :D and back to the main action here which is CINNAMON...and for me, the gnome threads...bye everyone :mrgreen:
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Well Cinnamon gets another release and blog post despite KDE being Clem's "priority".

Meanwhile the only KDE iso has been rejected http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/100

To me something that is a priority is the thing that you do first and spend most of your time on.

Return to “Software & Applications”