Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RepsaJ_NL

Re: Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Post by RepsaJ_NL »

so hi im new,

I have some issues.

I would like to install the cinnamon desktop manager. I did;

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon cinnamon-session
sudo apt-get upgrade 
So when I opened cinnamon on the login screen nothing happend sadly. I rebooted and reinstalled cinnamon

sudo apt-get remove cinnamon cinnamon-session

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Still nothing. So I tried this;

sudo cinnamon --replace
[sudo] password for ***: 
failed to create drawable

(cinnamon:14110): Clutter-CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize Clutter: Unable to select the newly created GLX context
Window manager error: Unable to initialize Clutter.
So any ideas? (I googled the problem but did not found a good solution I can trust)
Graes

Post by Graes »

yay cinnamon 1.1.3 is out! :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

RepsaJ_NL wrote:so hi im new,

I have some issues.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade 
So when I opened cinnamon on the login screen nothing happend sadly. I rebooted and reinstalled cinnamon

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo cinnamon --replace
[sudo] password for ***: 

(cinnamon:14110): Clutter-CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize Clutter: Unable to select the newly created GLX context
So any ideas? (I googled the problem but did not found a good solution I can trust)
Open Synaptic and search for Cinnamon and see if both 'cinnamon' and 'cinnamon-session' show as installed. if not, install them using Synaptic. I know, it sounds like a "stupid check" and it is but with as many years as I have in the computer field I still have to resort to "stupid checks" in order to get certain thing done. By the way, I don't believe that using 'cinnamon --replace' is going to work since the Cinnamon DE has to started via the login screen. It's an either/or thing.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
RepsaJ_NL

Post by RepsaJ_NL »

kmb42vt wrote:

I have some issues.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade 

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo cinnamon --replace
[sudo] password for ***: 

Open Synaptic and search for Cinnamon and see if both 'cinnamon' and 'cinnamon-session' show as installed. if not, install them using Synaptic. I know, it sounds like a "stupid check" and it is but with as many years as I have in the computer field I still have to resort to "stupid checks" in order to get certain thing done. By the way, I don't believe that using 'cinnamon --replace' is going to work since the Cinnamon DE has to started via the login screen. It's an either/or thing.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

RepsaJ_NL wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:

I have some issues...
So Cinnamon is indeed installed but it's not showing up in the DE drop down list on the login screen (located on the right-hand side of the password field--looks like a gear I believe)? It did for me as soon as I installed it and logged out. I know, another stupid question but we have to eliminate the obvious.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
RepsaJ_NL

Post by RepsaJ_NL »

kmb42vt wrote: So Cinnamon is indeed installed but it's not showing up in the DE drop down list on the login screen (located on the right-hand side of the password field--looks like a gear I believe)? It did for me as soon as I installed it and logged out. I know, another stupid question but we have to eliminate the obvious.
No problem, it is showing up on the pulldown menu. But it isnt working when I use it. When I select cinnamon it will just load the normal (gnome2?) desktop manager instead of cinnamon.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

yes...you have to hit the little "cog wheel shaped" thing you see when you type in your password when logging in....Cinnamon should appear as one of the options...then just select it and hit enter....

Whatever "session" you logged into the last time, will then automatically become your default, until you log into a different session on that cog wheel drop down menu...

@ Robin...i have it installed too...love it...now i can easily add or remove favorites from the menu and the panel...also the mint menu has been nicely streamlined...it just keeps getting better and better! :mrgreen:

Just wondering....how do you "auto hide the bottom panel" (in case i decide i want to do that)....
Arrow2Knee

Post by Arrow2Knee »

RepsaJ_NL wrote:
kmb42vt wrote: So Cinnamon is indeed installed but it's not showing up in the DE drop down list on the login screen (located on the right-hand side of the password field--looks like a gear I believe)? It did for me as soon as I installed it and logged out. I know, another stupid question but we have to eliminate the obvious.
No problem, it is showing up on the pulldown menu. But it isnt working when I use it. When I select cinnamon it will just load the normal (gnome2?) desktop manager instead of cinnamon.
Try installing version 1.1.3 which was released earlier today, download it https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/downloads
RepsaJ_NL

Post by RepsaJ_NL »

craig10x wrote:yes...you have to hit the little "cog wheel shaped" thing you see when you type in your password when logging in....Cinnamon should appear as one of the options...then just select it and hit enter....

Whatever "session" you logged into the last time, will then automatically become your default, until you log into a different session on that cog wheel drop down menu...
I know, but it is not working, thats my problem.
Try installing version 1.1.3 which was released earlier today, download it https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/downloads
On my previous screenshot it said it is already installed. Reinstall?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

RepsaJ_NL wrote: When I select cinnamon it will just load the normal (gnome2?) desktop manager instead of cinnamon.
just another question, if you don't mind, to help debug the problem, did you ever managed to log in to gnome-shell(something like this:
5201349215_12c240ffc5.jpg
RepsaJ_NL

Post by RepsaJ_NL »

zerozero wrote:
RepsaJ_NL wrote: When I select cinnamon it will just load the normal (gnome2?) desktop manager instead of cinnamon.
just another question, if you don't mind, to help debug the problem, did you ever managed to log in to gnome-shell(something like this:
5201349215_12c240ffc5.jpg
No I have never seen it on my system. I have no clue how to access it also.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

RepsaJ_NL wrote:I have no clue how to access it also.
let's see:
- at login screen, on that gear if you choose "gnome" or " gnome classic" the result is the same or different?
- what graphic card you have in your comp.?
- have you installed the recommended drivers (if any) offered to you?
- open a terminal and type

inxi -Gx
and post the output back;

basically the question is, cinnamon is a gnome-shell fork, so it requires hardware acceleration (and the proper drivers installed -same as gnome-shell) otherwise it won't work and you will be sent to fallback-mode (that gnome2-look-a-like DE)
zulfikar

Post by zulfikar »

Cinnamon is real nice, hope it gets better.
RepsaJ_NL

Post by RepsaJ_NL »

zerozero wrote:
let's see:
- at login screen, on that gear if you choose "gnome" or " gnome classic" the result is the same or different?

inxi -Gx

basically the question is, cinnamon is a gnome-shell fork, so it requires hardware acceleration (and the proper drivers installed -same as gnome-shell) otherwise it won't work and you will be sent to fallback-mode (that gnome2-look-a-like DE)
1) gnome and gnome classic are the same
2) Asus ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS
3) There wern´t any 'additional drivers'
4)

Graphics:  Card: nVidia GF110 [GeForce GTX 570 HD] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org 1.10.4 drivers nouveau unloaded: vesa,fbdev Resolution 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11 Direct Rendering Yes
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

RepsaJ_NL wrote:
zerozero wrote:
let's see:

inxi -Gx

1) gnome and gnome classic are the same
2) Asus ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS
3) There wern´t any 'additional drivers'
4)

Graphics:  Card: nVidia GF110 [GeForce GTX 570 HD] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org 1.10.4 drivers nouveau unloaded: vesa,fbdev Resolution 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11 Direct Rendering Yes
Well, there's your problem. You're not utilizing your Nvidia video hardware so you don't have 3D capability. No 3D capability, no gnome-shell or Cinnamon. That's strange though. There should be Nvidia drivers available for this card in Additional Drivers I would think. I'm running the latest 280 Nvidia driver for my GTX 430. Heh, not a 570 by any means but the driver might not be out yet since it's a much newer card. Question: Are you dual booting with Windows by any chance and do you have the driver for the card installed there. if so you could boot into Windows and find out the the version number of the driver and that will give us a place to start.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

RepsaJ_NL,
googling your graphic card+gnome-shell returns a lot of hints and a lot of problems , but this one http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11534391 seems similar to yours and it's marked as solved.
RepsaJ_NL

Post by RepsaJ_NL »

zerozero wrote:RepsaJ_NL,
googling your graphic card+gnome-shell returns a lot of hints and a lot of problems , but this one http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11534391 seems similar to yours and it's marked as solved.
dude thanks! It is finally fixed

I did a

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
I rebooted then and it worked. Many many thanks for such an easy solution.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

RepsaJ_NL wrote:
zerozero wrote:RepsaJ_NL,
dude thanks! It is finally fixed

I did a

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
I rebooted then and it worked. Many many thanks for such an easy solution.
Heh, zerozero beat me to it! I was about to reply to you about the same forum thread. Maybe next time? :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

kmb42vt wrote:Maybe next time? :)
:oops: kmb sorry about that :lol:
glad RepsaJ_NL got the problem solved
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

z06gal wrote:Just updated Cinnamon and love the panel auto hide and the ability to right click in the menu to put icons wherever we want them. This is going to be a really nice de by Mint 13. Great work Clem!! :D
Where do you set the panel to auto hide?

Return to “Cinnamon”