Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joe_Linux

Re: Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Post by Joe_Linux »

Regarding the "Themes" button. It seems as though it could do something more all encompassing such as "System Configuration" or simply "Configuration".
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Joe_Linux wrote:
z06gal wrote:Just updated Cinnamon and love the panel auto hide and the ability to right click in the menu to put icons wherever we want them. This is going to be a really nice de by Mint 13. Great work Clem!! :D
Where do you set the panel to auto hide?
Via gsettings right now but the easiest way is to install 'dconf-tools' if you haven't already (search for it in Synaptic). The package includes the Dconf Editor which you can use to adjust Cinnamon settings among other things. Once installed start the Dconf Editor from the menu then, in the editor, look for 'Org' in the left sidebar, expand it via the arrow beside 'Org' and then click on Cinnamon. In the right hand panel you'll see a check box for auto-hiding the panel, just check it and the Panel should now auto-hide.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Impressed by the improvements in the new Cinnamon 1.1.3. - this coming from the chairman of the shouldhavestuckwithgnomeshell board :D

The right click and add to panel from the menu works smoooooth and the possibility to (easily) remove the weirdly out of place and meaningless always-on-top-of-your-windows infinity icon takes care of business.

More info here: http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=99
m4daredsun

Post by m4daredsun »

Daniel4lm wrote:This is my Cinnamon 1.1.2 desktop on LM12. This is Cinnamon (not gnome shell) theme 'Eleganse' (originally Elegance by satya164) that I rewrote a little to my taste. For now, theme works well, but Clem and the rest of the team are planning some changes to the compatibility with the GS themes and introduce new widgets and styles.

Unpack and copy the theme to /usr/share/themes/ because it appears in /.themes/ place themes are not properly detected(bug?).

Theme link
Grrrrrrreat theme!

Thanks for sharing :mrgreen:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Daniel's theme greatly improves Cinnamon visually. Cinnamon's look is probably - and understandably - not a priority at this point in the development, but the default block of grey certainly isn't attractive. MGSE never really shone in the looks department either.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Cinnamon is looking better and better. Nice to be able to easily add apps to the panel and desktop. I'm hoping we will soon see a choice of panel applets for Cinnamon, like a weather applet and cpu temp applet.
All in all it's looking very good.
KBD47
Arrow2Knee

Post by Arrow2Knee »

When compiling it still says that the compile schemas can't be found, while it s listed under /usr/bin/ as glib-compile-schemas ...

No1 who can help me with that?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

viking777 wrote:
I've used this section of the dconf-editor (as shown in the image in the referenced tutorial) to tailor both my Favorites section of the menu and my Panel to my liking and it works well. I'm sure Clem intends to make this a lot easier as time goes on but for now it's the only way.
Out of interest have you ever got more than 4 favourites to show up at any one time, because I can't. I can add as many as I like in dconf-editor but only the first 4 ever show up, as the Favourites panel never resizes beyond 4 items. Don't know why. It is a virtual machine I am running it on not a full install maybe that makes a difference? But it shouldn't.
I just updated to cinnamon 1.1.3 and the favourites menu is working normally now.
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

m4daredsun wrote:
Daniel4lm wrote:
Grrrrrrreat theme!

Thanks for sharing :mrgreen:
Thanks. I uploaded Eleganse and dark glass theme for Cinnamon 1.1.3.
davedarkblade

Post by davedarkblade »

is strictly necessary maintain the exposé-like windows select and the user-theme extension (the one opened by the botton in the top left corner) or they will be removed?
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

davedarkblade wrote:is strictly necessary maintain the exposé-like windows select and the user-theme extension (the one opened by the botton in the top left corner) or they will be removed?
I guess you are saying about hotcorner (top left corner button). Technically speaking it can be hided or removed now in Cinnamon 1.1.3 can hide (dconf editor or gsettings ).

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.cinnamon overview-corner-visible false  gsettings set org.cinnamon overview-corner-hover false
davedarkblade

Post by davedarkblade »

I'm speaking about the "old-style" menu, the one that opens when I click the hotcorner.
Kakao

Post by Kakao »

There is a community initiative to port Cinnamon to Fedora:

Cinnamon guide for F16 (replacement for gnomes-hell)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I have the eleganse theme installed and want to make the panel solid black but can't seem to get it that way. I have changed the transparency but it doesn't change it so, does anyone know how I can achieve a totally black panel? Thanks in advance :wink:

Robin
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

z06gal wrote:I have the eleganse theme installed and want to make the panel solid black but can't seem to get it that way. I have changed the transparency but it doesn't change it so, does anyone know how I can achieve a totally black panel? Thanks in advance :wink:

Robin
Robin - In /usr/share/themes/Eleganse/cinnamon/cinnamon.css I changed line 599 (under /* Panel */ section) to the following:

Code: Select all

background-color: rgba(0,0,0,1.0);
I saved the change, restarted Cinnamon and now my panel is solid black. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Thank you kmb! That worked perfectly. I was putting 1 instead of 1.0 Got it the way I want it now :wink: :D
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

how do u get the extensions mentioned on the fedora site in mint?
cinnamon-extension-apps-menu
cinnamon-extension-dock
cinnamon-extension-drive-menu
cinnamon-extension-places-menu
cinnamon-extension-systemMonitor
cinnamon-extension-windows-navigator
cinnamon-extension-xrandr-indicator
maxdule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maxdule »

Anyone with the info about the doubled keyboard layout icons?

http://imageshack.us/f/85/keyboardlayout.png/
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

lurkatron wrote:how do u get the extensions mentioned on the fedora site in mint?
cinnamon-extension-apps-menu
cinnamon-extension-dock
cinnamon-extension-drive-menu
cinnamon-extension-places-menu
cinnamon-extension-systemMonitor
cinnamon-extension-windows-navigator
cinnamon-extension-xrandr-indicator
Note: These extensions cannot be used in new Cinnamon DE (yet). Only in the default 'Gnome' (gnome-shell/MGSE) DE.

Via the new Gnome Shell Extensions website:

https://extensions.gnome.org/

It's simply a matter of clicking on the extension you want and flicking a switch--literally. :D

Keep in mind that the list you referenced shows the actual filename of the extension and not the real life name. For example 'apps-menu' is listed as 'Applications Menu' at the above site. The only one I couldn't find is the equivalent of the 'drive-menu'. It's there but it's real name is obviously quite different than it's filename. Also, make sure you check the "Installed extensions" list on that site (link is at the top of the Gnome Shell Extensions page) as MGSE already includes some of the extensions available already.
Arrow2Knee

Post by Arrow2Knee »

Arrow2Knee wrote:When compiling it still says that the compile schemas can't be found, while it s listed under /usr/bin/ as glib-compile-schemas ...

No1 who can help me with that?

Return to “Cinnamon”