MGSE? MATE? Cinnamon? What`s goin on?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Imhoteps

MGSE? MATE? Cinnamon? What`s goin on?

Post by Imhoteps »

So what`s the goal of devs? It looks for me that team deviated from the developing of MATE. Perhaps I`m wrong, but it looks that team`s efforts are targeted on Cinnamon. So what is the main DE which is being developed now? What future holds for mint-ers? And why no information from Clem about Cinnamon project? All I have read `bout Cinnamon I`ve found everywhere else, but not here. Illuminate me please. Any spam is kindly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
olle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: MGSE? MATE? Cinnamon? What`s goin on?

Post by olle »

Uchiha_Kori

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

I hope they put a lot of effort into MATE. I hate GNOME 3. I'm still used to the old GNOME DE.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

You can read if Linux Mint will continue to support MATE in Introducing Cinnamon
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

And cinnamon is really nice already (new features are gradually being added to it..read Clem's new blog on the main page)...once you try it, you may find that you don't mind using gnome 3 shell with the Cinnamon desktop session..which is the case for a lot of us here :wink:
swftech

Post by swftech »

There was a post by Clem earlier today on the Mint blog that should answer all of your questions..
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1910
Vito49

Post by Vito49 »

Imhoteps wrote:So what`s the goal of devs? It looks for me that team deviated from the developing of MATE. Perhaps I`m wrong, but it looks that team`s efforts are targeted on Cinnamon. So what is the main DE which is being developed now? What future holds for mint-ers? And why no information from Clem about Cinnamon project? All I have read `bout Cinnamon I`ve found everywhere else, but not here. Illuminate me please. Any spam is kindly appreciated.
If I was Clem ... I would certainly keep MGSE ... I've never seen such a user-friendly DE ... unless, Cinnamon replaces it with the same functionality

In Flanders we say: als ik de advocaat van de duivel mag zijn ... :
Fine-tuning MGSE can't be as difficult as developing Cinnamon, no? A good working program only needs a few features more, a new program needs a lot more ....
So ... pleaaaaase keep MGSE, tune it, add more features ...

Vito

PS: translation of Dutch:
if I may be the devil's advocate ..
Lumikki

Post by Lumikki »

As I see, this situation.

Cinnamon does replace MGSE. I think because Cinnamon allows Mint developers more freedom to do what they like.
Basicly MGSE was adding Gnome 3 shell DE some more traditional DE style, so it was mix of two DE styles.

Cinnamon is like forward DE design for Gnome 3, but different direction than Gnome 3 shell DE it self was going.
MATE other hand is like recreating Gnome 2 DE experience top of Gnome 3. So, It's like backward from Gnome 3 by using Gnome 3.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Clem said already that MGSE won't be maintained in the future
he said to that MATE is an absolute necessity (just a few days ago here in the forum)

and just to clarify something, MATE (in simple terms) is gnome2.3, is a fork that carries on gnome2 heritage and has no relation whatsoever with gnome3.
Lumikki

Post by Lumikki »

zerozero wrote: and just to clarify something, MATE (in simple terms) is gnome2.3, is a fork that carries on gnome2 heritage and has no relation whatsoever with gnome3.
Are you sure, because I have understand it differently. More like MATE is top of both Gnome 2.32 and Gnome 3 (without Gnome 3 shell).
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

MATE is a fork of gnome2.3, you can see here that the "old" gnome lib. were renamed, so that MATE was installable in gnome3 systems (like mint12, ubuntu oneiric or debian testing) without conflicts.

because you can't run both file managers (just give one example) nautilus3 (lisa) and caja (MATE) unless the libs of the last one where renamed (and caja is nautilus2- the same we had in mint11)

confusing?! :lol: yeahh
Lumikki

Post by Lumikki »

That does sounds little odd to me, because it's like two different seperated distribution in same one distribution to everyone in every installation.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Lumikki wrote:That does sounds little odd to me, because it's like two different seperated distribution in same one distribution to everyone in every installation.
They are simply put on in different log in "sessions"...not hard to do at all, actually...

Just like on Ubuntu 11.10 where you can choose different sessions....unity 3d unity 2d Gnome Classic (gnome 3 fallback mode for gnome 2) and even gnome 3 shell (if one installs it from their software center)...in fact, if one adds "Cairo Dock" a separate session is even added for that too...
Lumikki

Post by Lumikki »

craig10x wrote:
Lumikki wrote:That does sounds little odd to me, because it's like two different seperated distribution in same one distribution to everyone in every installation.
They are simply put on in different log in "sessions"...not hard to do at all, actually...
Sorry, I wasn't refering just login different session, but that they have also they own windows manager and gnomes, behind those two different sessions (MATE vs Gnome 3)
Meaning if you never use Gnome 3 side, it's still on your disk, and also opposite if you never use Gnome 2 side, it's still on your disk.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it's not odd, it's "magic" :lol: you can have the cake and eat it, you can keep the old gnome and use the new one in the same system (not at the same time, but...)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”