Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Chat about just about anything else
Post Reply
User avatar
viking777
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5122
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by viking777 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:12 am

I am not trying to sell anything, or buy anything, as I already have a 7" tablet, but I saw this today and the price is astonishing (no wonder just about everyone has sold out of them).

( And to those of you who say that a 7" tablet is too small, well you are wrong, it is actually too big, 6" would be the ideal size but nobody makes one, 10" is just a joke in my opinion.)

Here are a couple of links about it.
http://www.dabs.com/products/storage-op ... cel&src=16
http://fwd.channel5.com/gadgets/scroll-excel

I wish I needed one - I would put my name on the waiting list right now!
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

User avatar
gn2
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:54 am
Location: Bonnie Scotland

Re: Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by gn2 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:56 am

Maybe this will tempt you more..... linky :twisted:

(in the voice of Mrs Doyle)
Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on :lol:

How can you not at just £70...?

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7638
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by remoulder » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 am

Both of those tablets only have Android 2.x which is not designed for tablets. Ok they work but are using old tech to keep the price down and tempt buyers, the Essential even has a 'resistive' screen which won't make it particularly touch friendly. Personally I would prefer to wait until Android 4 starts to appear on more tablets.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

User avatar
viking777
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5122
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by viking777 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:27 am

@gn2

Ahhh that is just obscene :lol:
In the words of Father Jack - Feck!
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

steev
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Re: Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by steev » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:17 pm

The first one looks like it may be a rebranded UTV210.

If that's the case we are working on Honeycomb and ICS ports that should run on it.

They really are great tablets for the price.

User avatar
viking777
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5122
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by viking777 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:47 pm

gn2 wrote:Maybe this will tempt you more..... linky :twisted:

(in the voice of Mrs Doyle)
Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on :lol:

How can you not at just £70...?
Mrs. Doyle won.

Not for me, for my wife. She was looking to buy a replacement for her broken e-reader. So she has got an almost full blown tablet with e-reader built in for the price of an e-reader alone - can't be bad. Not only that but with a bit of extra storage we should be able to grab HD programs off of BBC iplayer and pipe them out through our TV if we want to - something my tablet can't do and it cost 4x as much :?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

User avatar
gn2
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:54 am
Location: Bonnie Scotland

Re: Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by gn2 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Mrs. Doyle knows her kit and a good bargain when she sees one!
And such a persuasive manner too! :lol:

I have one of these and get_iplayer for the TV malarkey.

User avatar
karliet
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:15 pm
Location: western hemisphere :D

Re: Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by karliet » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:04 am

Here's one thing to take into account. is it Chinese? if it was manufactured in china and uses the Android OS you will not have access to the android market (as well as netflix)....Well thats not entirely true, you have access to the chinese android market but unless you both speak and can spell in chinese perfectly its very hard to use. Make sure you do a lot of research on every aspect of the tablet and if you see a tablet that is named sylvania avoid it like the plague.
"If to live, we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain"

User avatar
viking777
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5122
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by viking777 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:51 am

karliet wrote:Here's one thing to take into account. is it Chinese? if it was manufactured in china and uses the Android OS you will not have access to the android market (as well as netflix)....Well thats not entirely true, you have access to the chinese android market but unless you both speak and can spell in chinese perfectly its very hard to use. Make sure you do a lot of research on every aspect of the tablet and if you see a tablet that is named sylvania avoid it like the plague.
I did look at that problem but then I read this comment on the 'Gadget Show' website (from a UK user).

Code: Select all

Managed to get this from Hughes Direct (£130). Was hard to find due to the Gadget Show, lol. Works perfectly fine. Regarding the whole Android Market thing...I did read that in the manual, however, it gives you the option for the Android Market Widget, on it. Have downloaded a few apps from AM and they work fine, so no real issue. It also is set-up for other app links, so has a lot of options. 
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

waldo
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by waldo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:39 pm

These tablets do not make a good replacement for an eReader. Even the beautiful Kindle Fire is not a good replacement for the standard monochrome Kindles. We have both Kindles in our family, and reading a book is much more eye strain on the backlit color version. If you are just reading short documents, this probably doesn't matter.

For a tablet, the Excell looks like a bargain. It has a capacitive touch screen, which is absolutely necessary, in my opinion. The Essential has a resistive screen. They are frustrating to use, and I would not want one at any price.

User avatar
viking777
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5122
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Amazing value tablet or too good to be true?

Post by viking777 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:17 am

waldo wrote:These tablets do not make a good replacement for an eReader. Even the beautiful Kindle Fire is not a good replacement for the standard monochrome Kindles. We have both Kindles in our family, and reading a book is much more eye strain on the backlit color version. If you are just reading short documents, this probably doesn't matter.

For a tablet, the Excell looks like a bargain. It has a capacitive touch screen, which is absolutely necessary, in my opinion. The Essential has a resistive screen. They are frustrating to use, and I would not want one at any price.
I don't quite agree with the first part of your post there waldo. I used to have a standalone book reader but now I read all my books on a tablet. The book reader does have some advantages I grant you - it doesn't need charging up anywhere near as often as a tablet does and you can easily read it outdoors. The disadvantages are you can't read it in a dimly lit room and it doesn't perform any other function, whereas a tablet performs dozens of other tricks. I have never noticed any eye strain problems, and on balance I would never go back to a standalone e-reader again, at least not whilst you can get tablet pc's for that price!
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”