Alot miscellaneous questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hefff

Alot miscellaneous questions

Post by hefff »

Hi, need to ask alot questions bout that mint which just died and i need to type this crap again. Thx in advance for links or answers.

Pls if u want to help me a bit these questions r most important for me 9,19,29,31

[SOLVED]1. Long file names to copy looool. This error got when moving my win files to the linux for few of them. Comon how limited is this? Is there tool for statistics for failed files from copy, report or whatever.

[solved]2. Is there speed type tweaking so not only boot/starting of programs is fast(like prelink) but actual system etc.

[solved]3. Is there some serious antivirus progs/firewalls, not like clamtk, which have realtime guard with it. Can i use cra@cked kaspersky here since they got linux version. Do i need to setup firewalls since it showing its not enabled even Gufw. Im reading Linux Security Quick Reference Guide but cant figure most of it. Also how to encrypt the network traffic.

[SOLVED] 4. Are there only 2 games simulations solutions - wine and virtualbox. And is there anyway to play wow as normal. How these 2 managed to use the system resourses and r they stable. Are there any paid ones which i can "use".

[SOLVED]5. Ive used tools for testing hardware like hd tune pro. It detected both failed drives i had and still have. Here there is gsmartcontrol which even doesnt shows warning, nor any bad sector at all. Is there some good alternative.

[SOLVED][8. Since gedit is absolute crap and totaly ugly. And since i need same as notepad++ to open files directly and stayed cached in its memory all the time so there isnt need for me to look for 20 files. HOw can i do that here.

9. Why in folder options in properties free space and volume r unknown for me.

18. Mint cannot detect my display, but it sees the exact model in nvidia x serv settings why is it happening.

19. With all programs closed system monitor shows both cpu cores at 10% and moving, 1.2GB used from 4GB, and 232 from 2GB swap with processes memory only of 500MB what im missing? Where r the other 700MB going.

[SOLVED]20. Got this error, from cheese and cant start the application. It shows a picture from the cam and then shutdowns.
"Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel
Segmentation fault"
21. bars and moving them? Is there way to cusomize. Except the ones from the tutorials that one guy was removing them at all. Also the transperent edge of the bottom bar pisses me off when fullscreen its just there with which line. How is this bar called. Also what is last 1, 2 and ! at bottom bar.

22. have issue with some situation ive opened like 2 applications, later i opened ofc the sys monitor to check it - gedit and around 8 tabs in foxfire. Ok so i hited the hot corner and got to the menu also and boom everytime im changing the mouse pointer to other program there 100% usage on both cores. Is it only for me, and is it reported as bug? It doesnt slows so much every time but its serious.

23. ok so lets say i open software manager and just type letter S there. The window freezes my cores r goin mad to 100% cycling one after other to max in a strange way and the process mintinstall.py takes all that credit. This is for 2-3 mins depends on speed of entering or letter which is used. What to do? Isnt it bug too.

25. the close/minimize/exit buttons of windows looks like apple one, how to change it?

27. How to see size of directories, not the free space of the volume.

29. r there shortcut for the terminal commands so i can click only. Need to use launchers for scripts also like for applications?

[SOLVED]30. wanted to use onscreen keyboard for example caribou. Ive tried to turn it, it asked for logoff i did, enter, execute nothing. Where there isnt any errors, and i must investigate and ask question everywhere. Isnt it suppose to check its dependencys alone and inform what need to install? same as after updates but error change:
** (-c:15633): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Error in GetItems, sender=(null), error=Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
31. Cant see my language when i play movie. Same in subtitles when i open them they r not right encoded. Ive installed the keyboard layer and i can type. Only with vlc and changing encoding works. how to fix for others.

Ill mark next to numbers solved etc. Thx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Alot miscellaneous questions

Post by vrkalak »

Way too many questions for one post ... most will get lost, in the shuffle.

Better yet ... pick 3 "related" questions and ask those - when they get answered - pick 3 more.
You can make more than one topic or post.

There are some questions here, that are not Mint specific, but specific to that App.
Like those about Firefox and VLC.
They each have great Forums of their own. All the Apps have a help/support forum.
podagee

Post by podagee »

for question 1: not too sure if you can transfer files without having wine?i may be wrong.i also think that it depends on what files you are trying to transfer to linux as this is linux not windows.

question 2:speeds in the distro are pretty much based off ram specs.if you partitioned your ram incorrectly you might have speed issues.

question 3:there is no need for antivirus programs for linux.viruses are made for windows.there are few for linux(not saying there probably aint any),but,most programs are through trusted sources,or developers.

question 4:with wine installed you can install playonlinux.yes they are pretty stable.and no you cant just run WoW on linux as the disc is made for Windows.there are few other gaming emu's if you know how to use google.

question 5:in disk utility click on smartdata.on the window that pops up,on the bottom left,there says "dont warn me if disk is failing." tick or untick to your preference.you could also run-self tests to see where your bad sectors is if you have any.

question 6:in advanced settings,second tab is fonts.click on it.on right side of window the second choice is default font.click on number .screen will change to style and on bottom will let you choose the size.

too many questions.ill stop here
hefff

Post by hefff »

1. i already transfered the files from my win system to linux. the question was bout why there is such thing here, i was amused since i havent got any such problem in windows obviously but only in dos before. So no solving for that, like increasing a limit somewhere? The problem files where html. Also i needed to personaly copy all that messages to not miss some of them.
2. with "partitioned ur ram correctly what u mean? im using swap partition which is merely used (max 5%).
3. i need antivirus cos like u know not all ppl use linux so when i have infected files which obviously cant harm me doesnt mean i cant infect other ppl with windows.
4. ill check it thx. Im still not familiar with gaming. SOLVED
5.thx solved
6. ive changed it, but i mean the text which is there in the same menu. Its like shrinken so u can just imagine what it is. The problem seems not to be the font size but the cell size itself since its too small and need resize.

Sry bout all that many questions but i seriosly dont prefer to make 10-20 posts. Also i read all forum info, next im goin to read security stuff ,probly some ubuntu book, and gnome to find more info. I collect this quests from 3 days. if u can help i appreciate.
tomast

Post by tomast »

1. Not much to do about file length limits. See the Limits section... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ems#Limits

2. Partition RAM ??? LOL :) About all you can do for speed is limit services started on boot that you don't need. (Startup Applications)
Although having too little RAM can really slow the OS down a lot. As long as you have at least 1 GB RAM it should be enough.

3. I have yet to find a good antivirus for linux. Maybe you should try the Linux version of kaspersky and let us know how it does...
And yes you are correct that while virus is not a problem for the Linux it can be a problem if you transfer files to Windows.
((What I do is transfer files to a Temp folder on the Windows partition , boot to Windows and scan the folder from there.
I figure as long as you don't try to access or open any of the files they should be safe untill they are scanned.))

4. Sorry to say for most modern Windows Games , you really need to run them natively on Windows... Wine and VirtualBox just don't properly
use the GPU and don't have the support files to run modern Windows games... :(

You really should just tackle one problem at a time even if it does take 10-20 posts . ;)
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

hefff,

You will quickly see that a long , multiple question post such as you made here is self defeating. You want to save time by asking all of your questions at once, but most of the people who could answer your questions look at a post with 30+ questions and go on to the next post.

The ones that stay and answer you will, as podagee and tomast did, get tired after 5-6 answers and quit.

In the end you will need to repost most of your questions in a new topic so how much time are you really saving.
hefff

Post by hefff »

thought ur though guys :D. ok ill post new posts if u dont like it that much. anyway 5 r solved.

Tomast thx for the link it helped me understand why the long name problem:
Standard ASCII, this makes 256 characters. If it is Unicode encoding, it would be 256/4 = 64.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

heff,

Let me be honest, I've read through your many posts (submitted quick fire) with a more cursory glance than I would have, and I'm undecided whether you have genuine questions or if you are trolling.

If your questions are genuine, may I suggest that in the first instance you read some of the threads here for new users, where you will find answers to many of your questions. You will likely get far more help with specific questions than simply flooding us with one liners. On the assumption that you are genuine, it's also clear that you are a new Linux user. Lesson 1

: Forget the way Windows works. The desktop operating systems are superficially the same, but underneath they are very different beasts. Give it time and you will find the Linux way is much more logical (no more trying to find out what registry key a3cbfd6Eadf78bdce9gh does) but there is a learning curve. Accept the learning curve and take baby steps, one at a time.

If, OTOH, you are trolling, then I suggest you go back to Windows and install all the anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-whatever products that you need to bring your system to a halt.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
hefff

Post by hefff »

Most of the questions r specific and short enough. If i had that knowledge, documentation or anything else i wouldnt bother to post. Ur making a big deal from a post that was trying to make from 2 days collecting info so it will be easier for ppl to answer me fast. If u dont like it just dont answer my thread. If im trolling or w/e u call it ask moderator to ban me. Just cos im new ill not take that as offensive since im on ur ground.
podagee

Post by podagee »

dont take offense.i have done that in the past.i think what he is trying to say is...you ask a question and we tried to answer,then you come with a more specific one later.if 2 days of gathering info was what it took,i suggest you ask a more specific question than the ones you did.because its hard to answer if you dont make too clear sense of what you are asking.
BTW what is trolling?
i been here for a while and still dont know what that is
tomast

Post by tomast »

A troll is someone who posts inflammatory messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room,
or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response.

In other words they aren't really asking questions to get an answer, actually they are just trying to get people upset.

But I think most of us knew you were not trolling.

I know it can be aggravating and somewhat confusing when you first start using a new OS ,
but you just have to remain calm and be patient. You will rarely get "fast" answers.
Sometimes it might take days before somone comes along with the answers you need. Or even not at all...
Sometimes you have to ask a different way or at different forums and/or do some research on your own.
The most important thing if you want an answer is to start out by telling everyone ((what version of Mint you are using))
I hope you will keep at it and not give up. Linux can actually be quite easy after you get the basics.
It's just a matter of getting thru the initial learning curve.
I've been using Linux for years but there is still so much I don't know
and still have to ask questions. Most of what I have learned is not even
by asking questions but thru searching the forum and just reading the questions and answers of others. :)
hefff

Post by hefff »

Excuse me the version is last LM12 all stuff is updated etc. Most questions werent that important i was just curious why is that just happening.
Pls if u want to help me a bit these questions r most important for me 9,19,29,31. Im gona look all the soft packages anyway if noone respond.
The 17,22,23 maybe r more interesting not for me but for the ppl who create the mint os, if its not reported as bug in launchpad.
Last edited by hefff on Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomast

Post by tomast »

8. Actually I kind of like gedit and it will open multiple files.
Haven't heard about Notepad++ before, I'm checking it out now. Thanks for the info.

9. I have wondered the same thing myself. It's just the way Gnome's file manager works. (Nautilus)
Maybe other file managers in XFCE or KDE etc. are different ?

19. Don't know...

20. It's a known BUG https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... comments/3
I have Cheese on a Dell laptop with Mint 9 and it works just fine.
Different operating systems and different hardware, it's hard to tell what's gonna work and what won't...
hefff

Post by hefff »

notepad++ is used by some proggramers or just ppl who like too see their code in alot program languages or for example htmls in such way that u can see start/end of scripts etc. its very light also. I found some alternative but im afraid to try it since its from 2007 of some enthusiast which made script for linux.

so no fix of the cheese bug, thats bad my camera is some a4tech i think.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

You may want to take a look at gvim (part of the vim package) as an alternative to gedit. Takes a little getting used to but it's very powerful.

As for cheese, in my experience it's generally a bit buggy anyway (though still maintained so you could post a bug report). Camorama has proved pretty reliable here, maybe take a look at that instead.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
hefff

Post by hefff »

ive tried both but the editor dont have that extras and the cam program is showing for some reason too low fps. I installed also guvcviewer which is shown as alternative too, it works almost fine but inputs bigger lag in 640mode, and doesnt have effects like cheese, anyway its useable. thx for suggestions.
30. Found lets say somekind of alternative of caribou - XVKBD which atm im trying to fully remove, tried gok also but again some errors and cant start.
Any ideas bout the 9,19,29,31?

Edit: Dont know what i did i just removed caribou all libraries which was installed, gok, conky, cheese and when i reloged my screen is totaly different like no hot corner there is application and places menu at top bar, no menu bar at bottom. confused i did??uploaded an image hope it help: http://tinypic.com/r/xn93bq/5

ed2: install Cinnamon, but synaptic install manager cant be started it just minimizes on run.
Last edited by hefff on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomast

Post by tomast »

I think you didn't get logged into Cinnamon on boot.
Try reboot and make sure to choose Cinnamon session.
hefff

Post by hefff »

it was meant to be for edit1 :). Btw synaptic throws in terminal this message:
$ synaptic
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
what(): vector::_M_range_check
Aborted
but i fixed it from one bug report.

From what i see gnome suffers from some caribou dependency missing probly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”