7 - 10 minutes to boot up?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bootmakr

7 - 10 minutes to boot up?

Post by bootmakr »

Since my update/upgrade last week, it now takes my computer 7 to 10 minutes to boot up from the time I press the button until I see the LMDE login page. I updated using the update manager, and my sources are pointed at "latest."
This release comes with Update Pack 2 and points to the “Linux Mint Debian Latest” repository as well as the Debian “Security” and “Multimedia” repositories.
The same thing happens when the screen saver turns the screen black - it takes 7 to 10 minutes to come back on after I move the mouse or hit a key for the screen to return to my work :? :? . The screensaver doesn't pay attention to the settings, because I set all the settings for the screen saver NOT to come on for the maximum number of minutes possible, but it comes on after about 5 minutes and goes direct to black instead of rotating thru the several screensavers that are installed.
I guess I should have ignored the update manager and used apt-get instead ... I've never had this kind of problem with any of the Debians or their clones before!
What could be the problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spandey

Re: 7 - 10 minutes to boot up?

Post by spandey »

LMDE has moved to Update pack-3 long back, why don't you go for it? Also, are you running 32 bit or 64 bit LMDE? what type of processor you have?
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

I believe I am running 32 bit (because I didn't know this was a 64 bit computer);

Code: Select all

description: Low Profile Desktop Computer
    product: [AH877AV]             ; Currency Bulk P (GQ109US#ABA)
    vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    serial: 2UA7310BNN
    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.4 dmi-2.4 smp-1.4 smp
    configuration: boot=normal chassis=low-profile cpus=2 family=103C_53307F sku=GQ109US#ABA uuid=9DB4EC2B-CCF0-DB11-BBDA-FE63EC4A000F
  *-core
       description: Motherboard
       product: 0A80h
       physical id: 0
       serial: 2UA7310BNN
     *-firmware
          description: BIOS
          physical id: 1
          version: 786E4 v01.02
          date: 04/17/2007
          size: 128KiB
          capacity: 960KiB
          capabilities: pci pnp upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect edd int13floppytoshiba int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb ls120boot zipboot biosbootspecification netboot
     *-cpu:0
          description: CPU
          product: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6400  @ 2.13GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 5
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: 6.15.2
          serial: 0000-06F2-0000-0000-0000-0000
          slot: XU1 PROCESSOR
          size: 2133MHz
          capacity: 2133MHz
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 1066MHz
          capabilities: x86-64 boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow cpufreq
          configuration: cores=2 enabledcores=2 id=0 threads=2
        *-cache:0
             description: L1 cache
             physical id: 7
             slot: L1 Cache
             size: 64KiB
             capacity: 64KiB
             capabilities: burst internal write-through data
        *-cache:1
             description: L2 cache
             physical id: 8
             slot: L2 Cache
             size: 2MiB
             capacity: 2MiB
             capabilities: burst internal write-back unified
        *-logicalcpu:0
             description: Logical CPU
             physical id: 0.1
             capabilities: logical
        *-logicalcpu:1
             description: Logical CPU
             physical id: 0.2
             capabilities: logical
     *-cpu:1 DISABLED
          description: CPU [empty]
spandey

Post by spandey »

Please read the release notes of update-3 for some fix required after update. Them go ahead and implement update pack3. Once done install PAE kernel from Synaptic.
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

spandey wrote:Please read the release notes of update-3 for some fix required after update. Then go ahead and implement update pack3. Once done install PAE kernel from Synaptic.
Maybe you could provide a link to the release notes you refer to? I have looked all over and even used the search feature and can not find any release notes referring to update-3 even using a Google search of the Internet. Also, I thought I had read that the PAE kernel was for 64-bit installations - as I told you in an earlier post, I am using the 32-bit install because I did not know this was a 64-bit computer (I bought it so cheap I did not think it would be 64-bit!).

1) Will it still be all right to use a 64-bit kernel? Does installing the PAE kernel change this installation from a 32-bit to a 64-bit automatically or does it just make things run more smoothly?
2) Since this is a fairly new install, would it be better to just re-install using a 64-bit ISO instead of a 32-bit ISO (I installed from a flash drive because there is no CD/DVD drives in this computer and I do not see that there is an online install option).

I do not know the answers to these questions for sure, I am just a computer illiterate who likes to use Linux instead of M$, and this is the first time I have owned a 64-bit computer. :lol:
spandey

Post by spandey »

It's easier to search in the forum rather than Google. Here is in forum http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0

once you update with pack3 you will get PAE kernel in Synaptic. While installing just make sure that linux-headers-2.6-686-pae and linux-headers-3.0.0-1-686-pae are also installed and i believe that the system will be faster.

After installing PAE kernel when booting you will get both kernels listed. Select PAE kernel and boot, if you have problem in next boot select old kernel.

there is no harm in downloading 64bit and trying the LIVEDVD. If comfortable install it.

There is a LMDE guide for newbies http://livelinux.altervista.org/Guida_L ... ex_en.html
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

Hi Spandey;
I did use the forum search feature, but wasn't able to find the info you wanted me to find. Thanks for the links. After updating with the Mint Update-Debian manager, etc., My LMDE would no longer come up - no Grub, no Intel page, just a black screen! I ended up re-installing the 32-bit version, downloaded the 64-bit version and the 64-bit version is now installed onto my 64-bit box. I don't know if it was some kind of incompatibility issue or the MUD, but whatever is was, it destroyed the first 32-bit install.

It's OK now, I have the 64-bit version and it's working fine (other than alsa -

alsactl store
doesn't keep my settings) - thanks for your help - AND, thanks for the link to the Italian newbie guide, it's great, especially the tips and tricks.

Obviously I'm not a computer genius, but I'd rather use Linux (especially a rolling release Debian Linux) than M$.

Eventually, I may even migrate to BSD, but not for now! :lol: :lol:

bootmakr
spandey

Post by spandey »

Hi Bootmakr,
Good it worked for you. If you still have Pulseaudio purge it and reinstall ALSA.
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

spandey wrote:Hi Bootmakr,
Good it worked for you. If you still have Pulseaudio purge it and reinstall ALSA.
Hi Spandey;
I made the 'misteak' of trying out the MUD again, which sent me back to the blacked-out screen, sometimes as long a 20 minutes! I'm using ONLY the CLI (apt-get) for update and upgrade now, and am not having black screen issues so far ...... we'll see!

Is there some sort of log I can reference if the black screens happen again?

I'll look around on the forum for the Pulseaudio purge and give it a spin. Thanks
spandey

Post by spandey »

Here is link for purginghttp://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/439. You can look at log files located in /var/log..
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

spandey wrote:Here is link for purging http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/439. You can look at log files located in /var/log..
I've looked for PulseAudio in the startup menu, and I haven't found it!

I am going to remove as your link shows, even tho it says
Please note
There is no reason to remove PulseAudio unless you are having some issues with it.
and then I'll be sure it isn't an issue, I'm also going to remove Alsa, and then re-install it - I'll just get the package from the Debian Testing repos. I don't understand the

killall
as I've always used

apt-get remove
to get rid of offending apps.

* I removed pulseaudio - I guess it was there somewhere because it showed removal, I removed and re-installed alsa, now to see if it's going to work right :roll: :roll:
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

bootmakr wrote: Is there some sort of log I can reference if the black screens happen again?
spandey wrote: You can look at log files located in /var/log..
I went to /var/log and 'ls' reveals this:

log # ls
alternatives.log  dmesg.1.gz      lp-acct               ntpstats
apt               dmesg.2.gz      lp-errs               pm-powersave.log
aptitude          dmesg.3.gz      lpr.log               pycentral.log
auth.log          dmesg.4.gz      mail.err              samba
boot              dpkg.log        mail.info             syslog
btmp              faillog         mail.log              ufw.log
ConsoleKit        fontconfig.log  mail.warn             unattended-upgrades
cups              fsck            messages              user.log
daemon.log        gdm3            mintsystem.log        wtmp
debug             installer       mintUpdate.history    wvdialconf.log
dmesg             kern.log        mintupdate.packlevel  Xorg.0.log
dmesg.0           lastlog         news                  Xorg.0.log.old
I tried

log # cat /var/log/boot
(Nothing has been logged yet.)
So which log would tell me what's happening with the black screens for 7 to 10 minutes (yes, it happened again :( )
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

<<<BUMP>>>

This is becoming a HUGE annoyance to me ...... is there someone in the LMDE community that knows how to cure this problem? I have updated, upgraded, and dist-upgraded using apt-get, my repos are pointed to LMDE and Debian testing as shown in a post above, so I know I'm up with any upgrade that MUD 1,2 & 3 might have contained.

I don't know which log to check (I tried 'cat' to read the logs, but I get nothing but gobbledey-gook), and since 'cat' didn't work I don't know the exact command to read the logs so I can post the results and hopefully find out what's wrong with this install or what's wrong with the box/monitor/hardware/video card/whatever, in the box.

The best place to cure an LMDE problem should be the LMDE forums, but since there seems to be no one here that has an answer to this problem, I may have to take my complaint to an outside forum, or, in the alternative, go to another distro, which I have no desire to do. I don't want to re-install, because now I have my OS set up the way I want it ..... lotsa card & board games, all the apps I want to use for different things, etc.

Other than the load-up thing, LMDE is, without a doubt, the best distro I have used in the past few years, so I hope someone, whether here or on an outside forum can lead me to the fix for this curse that's on my install (s) :!: If it turns out that it's the box, video card or the monitor, rather than LMDE that is causing all this grief, I suppose I'll just have to put M$ Vista on it (got a COA for Vista Business), and give/sell it to someone else. I can't stand using M$ for anything but Netflix - I tried Novell Moonlight to take the place of M$ Silverlight, but Netflix wouldn't buy it, so I use an older M$ box to watch streaming movies on Netflix.
wb53tx

Post by wb53tx »

Here is how I solved the slow boot problem on my computer. Linux Mint 12 and LMDE also hangs on my system big time while booting, but I found a workaround to make it boot faster. By the way, this problem first showed up back with Linux Mint 11 and continues with the present release.

The problem seems to arise while trying to initialize my two SATA drives. Whether or not you have SATA drives, try this:

Open a terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Look for this line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
Change it to this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash libata.atapi_passthru16=0"
also uncomment this line (remove the # at the beginning of the line) to make it active:

GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
save and exit, then at the terminal type:

sudo update-grub
After making those changes my boot time went from 7 minutes to what it is now: 25 seconds.
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

Made those changes, we'll see if that makes a diff! THX
wb53tx

Post by wb53tx »

did it work?
spandey

Post by spandey »

Hi Bootmakr,
Most of us are here users like you helping each other. Take for me whenever I find time I try to help users in forum. Even paid support of M$, is pathetic..
There is post on top of the forum about 'how to get help' http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444

Take your case unless we are systematic no problem can be solved.

1. You have never given any information about the PC and it's hardware details.
2. Which version of LMDE did you download ?
3. What changes did you do before update?

There are so many people using LMDE successfully on their PCs. So to solve your case details are required.
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

wb53tx wrote:did it work?
It makes my laptop boot faster, haven't tried it on the Desktop yet, because I have to use one or the other, and I got tired of waiting for the desktop to boot up! Thanks for your help!
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

spandey wrote:Hi Bootmakr,
Most of us are here users like you helping each other. Take for me whenever I find time I try to help users in forum. Even paid support of M$, is pathetic..
There is post on top of the forum about 'how to get help' http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444

Take your case unless we are systematic no problem can be solved.

1. You have never given any information about the PC and it's hardware details.
2. Which version of LMDE did you download ?
3. What changes did you do before update?

There are so many people using LMDE successfully on their PCs. So to solve your case details are required.
Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt any feelings or insult anyone. I see nothing wrong with going to outside forums if people here are too busy or don't have an answer to a particular problem (sometimes problems are solved by referring to similarities on other forums!). That's not an insult to the people on this forum, AFAIAC.

Spandey, I believe I have thanked you for the help you have provided, it was appreciated, whether or not it worked for me. As far as which version of LMDE I am using, I DID post that I was originally using the 32 bit, and eventually changed over to the 64 bit in some of the posts above. As well, I DID post some specs of my desktop computer in a previous post - primarily because I DID read the 'how to get help' http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444 - and especially because I read the #5 heading titled "Details, Details, Details" in that same thread!

So, before you enumerate my lack of details, maybe you should check the previous posts first! And, if my response to you is considered inflammatory, I apologize in advance - it isn't meant to be so, I only wanted to answer your accusations. I appreciate all help I have been given, but, if I get this kind of accusatory flaming when I suggest that maybe this is a problem that no one here has had so maybe I should ask on other forums - maybe I'm unwelcome here AFAYAC - I'll not bother you further Spandey, you needn't bother answering any more of my posts in the future!

Proof positive that others have problems with LMDE are the endless forum posts - that doesn't mean it's a bad distro, nothing's perfect in this life - it's just that some things still need work-arounds, like the ones provided to me by wb53tx, you, and others in the myriad of posts on this forum :!: I still say that LMDE is the best Debian clone I've used in years.
spandey

Post by spandey »

Hi Bootmakr,
Linux is Free and there is a reason for it. It doesn't matter where you get help as long as it worked!!!

FYI..I am not a native English speaker but never found any info about your other thread about machine specs in this Thread. When you start a Thread and like to refer something, it's always better to mention link for other thread or copy the relevant details. After all whoever is going to help you is not going to search all the threads where else you have posted details.

There will be always bugs in any Software. It doesn't matter it's free or paid to $$$. Nothing in the world is perfect. Have Fun with Linux!!! :D :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”